Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Newbie confused by Stamina/Magika abilities

mashugana
mashugana
Are Magika abilities uselss if I put all points in Stam?

If I decide to make a Stam NB, does that mean my NB abilities are useless? It seems like you need to choose Stam or Magika. If you choose Stam, then you only use weapin skills. Or maybe Magika skills still do decent damage but they are just not as good?

I am a very casual PvE player that just wants to survive and enjoy the story.

But if Stam builds use weapon skills then I guess I do not understand the difference between a DB Stam NB and a DB Stam Sorc. Since all the skills come from the wepon, isn;t the class meaningless?

Thanks for any advice.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One, stamina or magicka is mainly for your damage (and healing) abilities, which scale off max stamina +weapon damage or max magicka and spell damage.

Two a number of class skills have a stamina morph, and Ultimates will scale off whichever is higher.

Third, a stamina NB can probably still pull off 3 cloaks, so you should still look into utility skills.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What @driosketch says is correct. This site has a list of all of the class skills including which ones have a stamina morph (I think it's up to date):
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Class+Skills

Most of the time you'll want to slot a couple of utility magicka skills from your class too, even if you're a stamina build. Typically you wouldn't want to bother with magicka damage skills if you're a stamina build, but utilities like cloak can still be very useful, and your magicka pool will be big enough to periodically use them.

Also, even if you were to only slot weapon skills, there would still be a difference between a stamina NB and a stamina sorcerer, because they'll have different passives and different ultimates available.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • mashugana
    mashugana
    That makes sense - thanks. So if I go Stam I can ignore the pure Magika damage abilities but not the others. Also I'll look at the Stam morphs.

Thank you!
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would not quite say ignore; but you are right in that if you are a casual player, then you can get away with quite a sloppy build.

For myself, it's only when doing undaunted vet dungeons that I really find out of my build is workable.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Eocosa
    Eocosa
    ✭✭✭
    As many have said I would avoid magic damage abilities as a stamina user and mostly stay away from the two magic based weapons (destruction and restoration staff), but many class abilities, even magic based ones can be used by a stamina build to great effect!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mashugana wrote: »
    That makes sense - thanks. So if I go Stam I can ignore the pure Magika damage abilities but not the others. Also I'll look at the Stam morphs.

Thank you!
    It's also worth noting that there are some magicka abilities that are damage abilities, but that you really use for their utility rather than their damage. Sometimes a stamina build will want to use those for the utility portion.

For example, the Summon Shade ability is a magicka ability that summons a shade to attack your enemy, doing damage to them. It also has a utility aspect, though, in that it inflicts that enemy with Minor Maim so that the enemy does less damage. In some stamina builds it would be worth using that ability specifically for the utility of Minor Maim.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)