Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to get Gold?

Dectrix
Dectrix
I currently have 1,260 gold which is pretty sad. How do you guys get your gold? And I know most trading guilds are full... but if you have a guild I can join to sell things, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
  • Articulemort
    Articulemort
    ✭✭✭
    What do you play on?

You can always farm mats and sell them to the npc merchants. I believe a full stack goes for 800 gold. Sell the upgrade mats in area chat or whatever it is for pc.

Pick up everything, including trash. They sell for like 9 gold only or some crap like that, but it can add up quick.

• Articulemort
    Articulemort
    ✭✭✭
    Also, go to the guild recruitment section of the forums, you'll be surprised how many trading guilds you can find in there.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have 8 out now characters with 3 of 3 hirelings, do writs on them all, farm, craft
  • Haxnschwammer
    Haxnschwammer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stealing is good for making gold. Once you got used to it you can make 10k in an hour regardless of level. With Thieves guild quests (which send you stealing) you can make even more because you can get Abbahs watch motifs. Those sell for like 20k a piece. They are quite rare, from my point of view I'd guess a 10% chance per stealing quest.
    Once I was a healer. Then I took a Wrobel to the knee.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • AlphaCrucis
    AlphaCrucis
    ✭✭✭
    Looting, dead enemies drop gold, items or mats. Collect and sell to a merchant. Or steal and sell to a fence
    Australian, Aldmeri Dominion
    Altmer, Dragonknight (mag), Damage Dealer
    Brenton, Templar, Healer
    Bosmer, Nightblade (stam), Damage Dealer, PvP
    PS4, NA Server
    Guild Member Of: Brotherhood of Bogans
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rubedo leather on xbox eu right now goes For 24k. Silk for 20k. Rubidite for 12k.

Farm the hell out of it. I farmed it before DB and I've made 800k since last Tuesday from selling mainly that. Poisons and alkahesh go for a fair bit too.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Rubedo leather on xbox eu right now goes For 24k. Silk for 20k. Rubidite for 12k.

Farm the hell out of it. I farmed it before DB and I've made 800k since last Tuesday from selling mainly that. Poisons and alkahesh go for a fair bit too.

You're exagerrating here bro, Rubedo goes for around 15k its one of the easiest to get. Silk sells for around 20k although you're better off selling it for 15k too, Ruby ash is cheap like 5k for the stack so just keep it for your own crafting needs, and Rubetide sells for around 10-12k like you said. Well thats in Rawl'kha anyways, don't know about Mournhold or anything else I stacked up all my gold on my AD char :smiley:

EDIT : how long did you farm for to get 800k :open_mouth: ?! Never had the patience to do that much farming
    Edited by Izaki on June 20, 2016 3:54PM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do dailies, grind areas with lots of mobs and vendor the trash drops, run dungeons, do quests, forage for mats.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • CombatPrayer
    CombatPrayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got more gold when I stopped worrying about gold. I'm not kidding about that. I just stopped thinking about it. Also, I got the merchant DLC which is probably the most useful thing to getting gold because you are constantly picking up loot that can be sold or possibly armors that can be deconstructed and sold as mats. I've seen people not really being a fan of the merchant and banker, but with them I increased my gold quite a lot because I just stop where I am and unload all my stuff to them (mostly the merchant, but I use the banker because I want to put items in the bank when I need on the fly that go to alts for crafting usually).

Get into a guild that sells pretty well. The silk road is good for lower level characters. You don't need to be in AD to use them but they have massive amounts of sales. Just put whatever you think would be something you want for sale there and sell it for more than the merchant would give you (look at prices of what they sell for a range) and then increase it from that. But you can only list 30 per guild so that is why the merchant is useful. But a good guild that gets good trading is key. I am in four right now, but the best sales for me are silk road. Minor ones with the others. They have padded my account with thousands for sure.

If you can group with a person who has a merchant, (if you don't want to buy the merchant DLC) you'll see your gold increase really fast.

Also, younger characters get less because they don't make as much from selling items they get as well as from questing. Later, you get more from questing so that helps, and you get more gold.

Might help if you wore a few times that increase the percent you get from gold drops too. Those are very helpful early in the game. I think I'm actually going to put them on all my characters.

But really and truly, having that merchant DLC earns you more I think because you save time by just selling while you roll through the game. I'm around 80k right now just hitting level 50 on my second character and I've spent probably almost a quarter of that too on things I needed and/or wanted within the game.
  • Eocosa
    Eocosa
    ✭✭✭
    I sort of just quested and played the game very casually while completing daily writs and gathering.

I know it sounds really mundane, but quests give decent gold and as you go through the zones you'll encounter TONs of them!

Through doing writs you make a small amount of gold from the quest and then have a chance at either a temper (at top level writs it seems like you can get 3 golds a week) or a survey map which gets you a ton of resources and through refinement, an additional chance at gold tempers.

If on PC you can certainly sell those through zone chat, and if on console I always see trading guilds recruiting on the forums here so there should certainly be room in at least one for you! Many of the tempers sell for 9-13k a piece so very quickly you'll have plenty of gold.

Another bit of advice is to make sure it is in fact a revenue problem and NOT a spending problem. If you are uncertain how to make gold, buying all the new motifs at top dollar is probably not a good idea for example. Another example being always making cp160 gold suits when you aren't really min/maxed doing endgame content as purple quality cp150 gear is a SMALL fraction of the cost and not that much less in stats (maybe get a gold weapon as that is a decent jump). You really should be able to craft your own and if you follow the above examples you can probably craft a full cp160 gold set when you finally reach it simply from writs and hirelings. Once you start a generous gold steam coming in, then by all means spend to your hearts content!
  • Travestynox
    Travestynox
    ✭✭✭
    Get in 5 trading guilds!

Sell weapons/armours with impen/divines/sharpened traits at current values. People need them to research traits.

Kill low lvl animals for leather etc; either refine those and sell (if high lvl like rubedo), or sell as unrefined if not (depending on your skill to refine it). Low lvl scraps have as much chance to give a refining material as high lvl ones. So kill your mud crabs!

Harvest anything! Plants sell well.

If you have DLC do dailies killing bosses. I get 2-4 motifs everyday on to characters only; if you don't need them, they can be sold for anything between 3-50k each.

If you can, download the MasterMerchant addon which will indicate a proper selling value.

Hope that helps you out.

Oh and yeah, thieving. Loot and steal everything in urnes and lockboxes. Sometimes purple shows up.

• Aaru
    Aaru
    ✭✭
    There are heaps of different ways to get gold. Try them all out and see which you find the most fun :)

A trading guild is a smart idea to join so you can sell raw mats. My advice is to NEVER sell raw mats to NPC's. Most raw ore/leather/cloth mats sell for at least 20g EACH.

- Harvest ore, plants, wood and alchemy ingredients.
    - Massacre creatures to get leather.
    - Steal everything in chests, wardrobes, draws and urns.
    - Do quests.
    - Daily crafting writs.
    - Daily quests.

Only bother with the methods you enjoy :)
  • LeDave
    LeDave
    ✭✭✭
    I make a lot of gold, enough to sustain new gear from outleveling. What I do is loot everything I kill and most importantly, do quests. I've found that quests is are a huge factor in getting gold.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    made 300k last week just selling new motifs
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Simply following the story line through the leveling areas, completing every quest you can find, looting everyone you kill and every chest/box/wardrobe, etc you find and do daily writs. Once you reach level 45, join the undaunted and do daily pledges and pick up everything you can.

You then sell everything you don't want to keep, use or breakdown to NPC vendors and between the gold you get selling and the gold you get from pledges, quests and writs, your balance will quickly grow. If you can also craft you own gear, potions and food instead of buying it, that saves gold as well.

You do not really need to steal or join a guild to make money, although it can speed up the process. I took 4 characters up to vet ranks and completed Cadwels silver/gold on one to get to VR16 doing this and had more gold than I needed without intentionally stealing and without trading in a guild.

I have to admit that I have since joined some guilds and even though I generally only sell higher end items like psijic recipe pieces, grand soul gems and motifs, have made a good deal more gold.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Dectrix
    Dectrix
    Thanks for the help so far everyone! I got into a trading guild and have been getting used to prices of things and figuring out what to try farming and whatever. I'm also going to try the writs and daily quests. Plus, I haven't even finished Cadwell's Almanac so i'll start working on that too. Thanks again guys :smile: I don't have the DLC's though and can't decide whether Plus is worth buying or not... so that kind of cuts off some of the other ways
  • Dectrix
    Dectrix
    Mojmir wrote: »

Do you get your motifs from dailies? Or is there a spot/specific dungeon you grind for them?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As above, do the writs daily, steal the things, sell the things. Find a circuit of safeboxes and run a loop. Maxed legerdemain skills help. And you can enjoy the thieves guild quest too. Join trading guilds (via this forum) buy cheap things sell high. Farm good mats, sell them too. (pick one craft, max it out is best way then come back to other crafts as you get skill points but decon as you go to level it.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dectrix wrote: »
    Mojmir wrote: »

Do you get your motifs from dailies? Or is there a spot/specific dungeon you grind for them?

I just hit the dungeons on each of my characters
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »

You're exagerrating here bro, Rubedo goes for around 15k its one of the easiest to get. Silk sells for around 20k although you're better off selling it for 15k too, Ruby ash is cheap like 5k for the stack so just keep it for your own crafting needs, and Rubetide sells for around 10-12k like you said. Well thats in Rawl'kha anyways, don't know about Mournhold or anything else I stacked up all my gold on my AD char :smiley:

EDIT : how long did you farm for to get 800k :open_mouth: ?! Never had the patience to do that much farming

I'm not exaggerating at all. Rubedo is still going for 24k a stack. Just tonight I sold 100 for 12k in a Mournhold trader. Prior to that the trader was in wayrest. I can post multiple screen shots if you need them. Rubedo is a lot harder to get. You have to farm certain locations. Silk you just pick up while going along, plus you can get it from surveys, unlike leather. Also stam is the way to go this patch, so everyone is after leather.

It's stupid how much people are paying for stuff. Alkahesh, the poison crap you use, goes for 7.5k for 50. I've sold like 10 lots of that since db just from crap I've picked up in IC. Poisons, I'm selling 80 for 4k. It takes 5 alkahesh, then 5 of either 2 or 3 reagents. Easiest 4k you can make.

It's just all the stuff I accumulated over a 2 month period. I just farm when pvp is too laggy to play. I knew people would spend insane amounts of gold on it when they suddenly had numerous extra vet 16s in need of gear. All the solvents, lining etc I got from refining has sold insanely easy too. I've gone from 300k to 1.3mil since db launched. People are buying like mad.
    Edited by Brrrofski on June 21, 2016 9:58PM
  • saps101
    saps101
    On Xbox Eu, rubedo leather is a great seller at 27k + in mournhold atm, rubedite is low but still 8k with a bit of a wait.

It's good if your grinding or enlightened or haven't found a good route, but other there are much better ways, people are just farming the wrong things, why make 50k an hour instead of 100-150k elsewhere.

Then there is obviously crafting, level all of them, pick up everything, and make/sell what people want, food is slow but good profit, better if you farm the mats, and poisons can be great atm, filled grand soul gems are actually a quick seller for a change, 5 for 1k seems to sell everywhere I have a trader atm, (Ellen root, rawlka, mournhold + worthgar)

If you wanna make a lot of gold, mind numbing farming routes are the way to go, just change it up a bit. Go farm some leather, go exploring in a max level zone and pick up everything, find somewhere you can grind and make money, but most importantly, watch the traders, if you see a hole, try and fill it. If prices skyrocket, try and capitalise on it.

I doubled my price on rubedo leather after DB dropped, All I did was check the traders in mournhold, 29k was the cheapest at the time, and went straight in at 27k, listed my entire stockpile of 800 leather and had sold it in 20 mins.

So I made 100k by listing my spare resources when I noticed the price double, and I know a lot of others who did similar.

farmed leather for 2 hours that day with 2 friends and made 3 more stacks each, plus 7 or 8 dreugh wax between us.

In other notes, I need another Xbox EU mournhold trader send me an invite,

GT: o Slaughterer x

For the love of God, fix group finder.

Xbox EU

o Slaughterer x
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I harvest everything and anything these days, soooooo nice to have a crafting bag....

Once i have enough i then refine them,
    Get tempers and sell them....
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• undefeatdgaul
    undefeatdgaul
    ✭✭✭
    Stealing is good for making gold. Once you got used to it you can make 10k in an hour regardless of level. With Thieves guild quests (which send you stealing) you can make even more because you can get Abbahs watch motifs. Those sell for like 20k a piece. They are quite rare, from my point of view I'd guess a 10% chance per stealing quest.

not to necro & simultaneously hijack this thread but how do you get through the thieves guild quests making money, I dont have much gold and I always get seen by people, my bounty goes up, I get killed by guards, by the time Im done I lose a ton of money and have to repair all my stuff losing even more money. Im about to give up on the thieves guild line. Am I missing something or am I just horrible at sneaking around?
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way to get money and level up your character's Ledgerman skill is to do Dark Brotherhood; just get Blade of Woe from the initial quest. Then go on a murder spree; kill the yellow NPCs; you will get a lot of green (100 gold each) and blue (250 gold each) items. Head to a fence and sell.

This does have a daily cap, I believe 120 items...but if you sell 120 green items...that's 120,000 gold right there...
  • undefeatdgaul
    undefeatdgaul
    ✭✭✭
    One way to get money and level up your character's Ledgerman skill is to do Dark Brotherhood; just get Blade of Woe from the initial quest. Then go on a murder spree; kill the yellow NPCs; you will get a lot of green (100 gold each) and blue (250 gold each) items. Head to a fence and sell.

This does have a daily cap, I believe 120 items...but if you sell 120 green items...that's 120,000 gold right there...

awesome info thank you!

edit- forget it I watched some videos online. looks like it looks great!
    Edited by undefeatdgaul on August 22, 2016 7:44PM
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy wedding dress from crown store and start dancing. If you are fat male orc you can make easily 20k-30k hour.
  • Paneross
    Paneross
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pickpocket for extra gold.
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trade guilds are a great way to get gold. But many have weekly dues of 3k-10k. Which can be tough to make when you are starting out. When I started out I would simply farm everything and deconstruct all weapons and armor. When I moved up to the next level crafting materials I would go make a bunch of weapons and armor with my lower level mats and sale them to NPC vendors. It was not a great way to make gold but it worked.
  • jaye63
    jaye63
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dectrix wrote: »
    I currently have 1,260 gold which is pretty sad. How do you guys get your gold? And I know most trading guilds are full... but if you have a guild I can join to sell things, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I find a place you can steal items where you dont get caught. Get your 50 items and fence them. Stick to items that are 40 gold or more. Fence them and do it every day. Then after a while, you'll be selling enough stuff you wont need to do that.