Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Returning player (not played for ages so apologies for the noobness)

Alp2760
Alp2760
✭✭
Hi and thanks for reading, I appreciate any advice/comments you guys/gals can offer.

I got eso on launch, downloaded the imperial version and got eso+. I had a few characters but I think the highest was early 20's and was an assassin/stealth type. I stopped playing after a month or so because everyone I had convinced to get it so I had people to play with, couldn't get on with it and stopped. After starting over several times to help for various reasons I just lost the will to carry on. My eso+ carried on for ages though so I know I have a lot of crowns to spend. I'm downloading it again now on xbox and looking forward to getting back into it but have a few questions:

1 - any advice on what character to start with? I'm not fussed about being 'op' and I know I can start a load, play and see how I feel but I don't have the energy to do that. I tend to like magic and seeing as I have noone to play with, something that is as solo friendly as possible.

2 - how solo friendly is the game? I know that like mmommo, the meat is in group content and I do hope to end up finding people to play with but for now, I know I'll be going at it alone

3 - new content. I know there are a couple dlc's but what do they add? Will I have to hit end game and gear/level up before being able to get involved in them because if so, I may as well not buy them for the time being

4 - Ifound a few things annoying from what I can remember, proximity chat always being on, I didn't find the grouping very useruser friendly in terms of pugging any dungeons and in factfact, had a really failed attempt at a 4 player mission and didn't go back. Is it more user friendly and is it still your gamer tag people see, not your character name?

5 - how easy is joining a guild? Is the game still quite active on xbox or will I find it difficult to group up/get people to play with?

Thank for any input, really sorry for any daft grammar or spelling, I'm posting from my phone. Appreciate you taking the time out to give any help if you can =)
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm on PC so I can't help with the console specifics but here is my input on the non-specific stuff.

1. Any race is viable for any role but if you want to get the absolute max for a magicka-centric character then pick Altmer, Breton or Dunmer as they have the best racial passives for magic. My personal opinion is that a magicka Templar is probably about the most user friendly class for a beginner.

3. The vast majority of the game including all the mandatory levelling content can be readily completed solo. Indeed the main quest line and all of the mages/fighters guild quest lines are forced solo instances.

4. All of the DLC released so far is battle-levelled, which means that you can successfully complete it at any level. Having said that you probably want to wait until you have a few skills and maybe weapon
    swap unlocked before tackling them, say L10-L15 or so.

5. The grouping tool has be dramatically improved over the last couple of releases although it's not perfect yet.

6. IMO finding and joining a guild is not at all difficult and provides many many benefits when you find one that fits.
  • Alp2760
    Alp2760
    ✭✭
    Brilliant thanks a lot, really looking forward to jumping back in now without the fear that it's too difficult starting out alone. I'll have a look at the 3 races you recommended and go with one of those.

One last question, I'd check but it's still downloading - is there anything for purchase in the store to reset race/class/spent skill points?

Thank again for the detailed reply
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Templar would be the easiest character to start the game with. Your main Attack Heals you, so you will not die very often. Also, Healers are in demand for Group Dungeons.
    2. You can solo 98% of the game on the PvE side, Group Dungeons and Trials are the only thing that need Groups. Well, one Public Dungeon needs two
    3. Thieves Guild is great if your going to steal stuff, Wrothgar is great, because, well, it's a a great DLC. I am not into Murdering NPCs, so my jury is still out on the Dark Brotherhood
    4. Text Chat is supposed to be coming for XBox, just don't know when. Until then, turn it off

As for your other question, there are Crown Store Respec Scrolls for sale, but you can make the gold you need for respecs in about 20 minutes with the new Legerdemain System where you steal stuff and Fence it. Especially for a lower level character.

Please Note, as mentioned above the group finder is better, and gets improved at each patch (mostly anyway). However, a good guild would be the way to go for Group Dungeons. But, with the new Dungeon Scaling, I would wait for most of the Group Dungeons until your leveled up some. But, do try the first zones Group Dungeons to get your feet wet at normal scale.
    Edited by Nestor on June 14, 2016 10:44PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Alp2760
    Alp2760
    ✭✭
    Brilliant, thanks both! Don't think I'll get to play tonight =( 57% through the 70(!)gb download so will be itching to get in after work tomorrow.