Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do I have to resort to begging for a vampire/Vampire bite from other players? Totally unrealistic.

raidentenshu_ESO
raidentenshu_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I've been trying to contract the disease on both (to see which one I would get first) in Grahtwood, but so far I've been unsuccessful. I've allowed both vampire and the werewolves NPCs to kill me, but no success. I even allowed them both to near kill me, but no scratch and no bite, nothing at all. Why is it so difficult to get the disease in this game? I realize after all the googling I've done that the only way for me to get it is to go to Reaper's March. Only problem with that is..... I'm not exactly at the level to go to this place.

Am I forced to degrade myself by asking people around for a bite because these vampires/Werewolves in this map doesn't want to infect you at all?
  • bastianwulfblood
    could also buy from crown store if you don't like begging.
  • AmakarGranaen
    AmakarGranaen
    ✭✭✭
    Basically yes. But these days you'll get a free bite in minutes, maybe leave begging emote playing and you'll be riddled with disease in no time. Unless if you're on PC, those shrines seem to be deserted.
    Cthulhu is coming, look busy
  • Daveheart
    Daveheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    For starters, if you're trying to get infected in Grahtwood, it's just not going to happen. You'll need to be in Reaper's March (AD), Bangkorai (DC), or The Rift (EP). A quick google image search with show you spawn locations, or there are addons like Destinations that will show you. And you should be able to find a bite relatively easily by asking in Zone or a guild.
    Daggerfall Covenant (PC-NA)

The Order of Mundus | Nightfighters
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're trying to get bit by a mob, it has to be in one of the three final zones. Bangkorai, Reaper's March, or The Rift.

The spawns that can actually infect you only appear at night, and are scattered across the map. It's important you find the right ones, though, as Bangkorai has a native werewolf population that won't infect you. Reaper's March has vampires natively that, again, won't infect you. I honestly don't remember if The Rift has either.

In theory, the spawns are supposed to only appear on certain lunar phases. New moon for vampires. Full moon for werewolves. But, in practice they'll appear on random nights because, early in the game's lifecycle, there were hordes of players swarming in and killing off the spawns when they appeared, then charging large sums of cash for the bites.

In case it wasn't apparent, the vampire and werewolf infection spawns only spawn in Bangkorai, Reaper's March, and The Rift. They don't spawn anywhere else.

You can't get infected in Grahtwood.

You cannot get infected in Grahtwood, there is no possible way for it to happen there.

Also, you don't need to get killed by the infection spawns. A couple swipes will usually do you.

You need to be in Reaper's March. If you want to be turned by another player, you need to be at the appropriate shrine. If you go out there, you'll sometimes get bitten for free, though you may have to ask in zone.

Finally, the quest to become a vampire or werewolf is level 38.

Let that sink in for a minute.

These are solo instance quests. You can't bring friends in with you.

You're going to be fighting, and need to kill, level 38 enemies.

It's possible to do these quests at very low levels if you know what you're doing, but, if you're new to the game, those quests will kick your teeth in.

If you're not comfortable going to Reaper's March, you might not be ready to access these systems.
    Edited by starkerealm on June 10, 2016 7:57PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On top of that, the skills are set for battling L38 Mobs, so even if you do get the disease, and you are somehow successful in doing the quests, it will take forever to level the skills.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What faction and platform?
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    On top of that, the skills are set for battling L38 Mobs, so even if you do get the disease, and you are somehow successful in doing the quests, it will take forever to level the skills.

Finally got my lowbie vamp, who I turned at level 16 to Vampire 10. :D As she's heading back into Cold Harbour.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Go to wayshrine and wait. If the are others waiting, try to stand out with emotes or something. Someone will bite you eventually. I give out bites every week as soon as they're ready. I just show up and bite the first one I can. Many others do it as well
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it really begging when ppl give bites away?
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Daveheart wrote: »
    For starters, if you're trying to get infected in Grahtwood, it's just not going to happen. You'll need to be in Reaper's March (AD), Bangkorai (DC), or The Rift (EP). A quick google image search with show you spawn locations, or there are addons like Destinations that will show you. And you should be able to find a bite relatively easily by asking in Zone or a guild.

These areas are by the way the level when Vampire leveling actually starts to be worthwhile. Before this point you simply aren't earning enough exp to make it overly worthwhile, apart from basking in your pasty complexion and the eczema/spider-veins growing out of your eyes. Once you get to this point though you can farm Dro-Mathra's and watch the Vampire levels roll in.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daveheart wrote: »

These areas are by the way the level when Vampire leveling actually starts to be worthwhile. Before this point you simply aren't earning enough exp to make it overly worthwhile, apart from basking in your pasty complexion and the eczema/spider-veins growing out of your eyes. Once you get to this point though you can farm Dro-Mathra's and watch the Vampire levels roll in.

To be fair, Essence Drain is pretty worthwhile these days. But, in general, I agree.
  • raidentenshu_ESO
    raidentenshu_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    Go to wayshrine and wait. If the are others waiting, try to stand out with emotes or something. Someone will bite you eventually. I give out bites every week as soon as they're ready. I just show up and bite the first one I can. Many others do it as well

The problem with this kind of mentality is that is breaks the lore completely, and it ruins peoples role-playing experience.

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »

The problem with this kind of mentality is that is breaks the lore completely, and it ruins peoples role-playing experience.

The problem with this kind of mentality is that you are literally asking to be cursed by a daedric prince.

You can either break character and get infected, or do it naturally, which is, by design, not easy, because you're playing soulless construct returned from Cold Harbour who is inhumanly resilient to diseases of all kinds, and fundamentally immune to vampirism and lycanthropy.
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been trying to contract the disease on both (to see which one I would get first) in Grahtwood, but so far I've been unsuccessful. I've allowed both vampire and the werewolves NPCs to kill me, but no success. I even allowed them both to near kill me, but no scratch and no bite, nothing at all. Why is it so difficult to get the disease in this game? I realize after all the googling I've done that the only way for me to get it is to go to Reaper's March. Only problem with that is..... I'm not exactly at the level to go to this place.

Am I forced to degrade myself by asking people around for a bite because these vampires/Werewolves in this map doesn't want to infect you at all?

If you aren't the right level to go to Reapers March, then you aren't the right level to do the quest once you're infected anyway. If you want to get Vampirism naturally, you'll have to wait.
    PC/EU DC
  • raidentenshu_ESO
    raidentenshu_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Typhoios wrote: »

If you aren't the right level to go to Reapers March, then you aren't the right level to do the quest once you're infected anyway. If you want to get Vampirism naturally, you'll have to wait.

I'm not trying to argue but to state lore facts. This kind of gameplay is lore breaking. The fact is that both werewolves and Vampires are highly contagious. It doesn't matter what level you are or where you go. They're still contagious.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Lycanthropy#Contracting_Lycanthropy

"Lycanthropy is also a contagious condition. Close contact with a were-creature can transmit a special disease, which progresses to full-blown lycanthropy within a few days (if untreated). For instance, Sanies Lupinus can be contracted from werewolves, and over time will convert the afflicted into a werewolf.

Drinking a were-creature's blood is a much more potent means of transmission; it immediately converts the drinker into a lycanthrope. The first transformation occurs within moments, and is unusually intense.

Finally, there are a few rare families in which lycanthropy is a hereditary condition. It can remain dormant for generations, only to spontaneously reassert itself in later descendants."

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Vampire

"Vampirism is contracted through any sort of wound inflicted by a vampire; however, since few survive attacks from a vampire, the actual contraction process is not understood well. The newly-infected will exhibit no symptoms for the first 72 hours (except perhaps nightmares and insomnia), and they can be cured of the disease like any other ailment. After that time, however, the disease is said to be "incurable": the disease causes one to "die", making a vampire literally undead. Despite this, there are many documented cases of individuals who found the means to cure themselves, as discussed further below."

The lore says nothing about Reapers March. Werewolves are werewolves and vampires are vampires. Both are equally contagious and can infect people at will no matter what. Even if you're just a little girl.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I've contracted it, I just ran up to them and sat there and healed myself for 10 minutes until contracting it. Be sure to pull them into a hidden spot so that someone doesn't come by and decide to "help" you.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typhoios wrote: »

I'm not trying to argue but to state lore facts. This kind of gameplay is lore breaking. The fact is that both werewolves and Vampires are highly contagious. It doesn't matter what level you are or where you go. They're still contagious.

And if you were playing a normal character, or even a Dragonborn, this would remain true. However you're playing a soul shriven, who are more akin to undead. You're almost completely immune to mortal diseases (which we've seen in the past confers immunity to vampirism and lycanthropy). And even if you are infected, you cannot be turned without undergoing an extensive ritual because of how soul shriven seem to shrug off diseases, and resist curses that affect the soul.

In fact, it's a recurring plot point throughout the game, that magic which affects the soul flat out does not work on the Vestige. (And, while the game never spells this out, this is how lycanthropy and vampirism work in The Elder Scrolls.)

So, no, the behavior of vampirism and lycanthropy in game is consistent with the lore.
    Edited by starkerealm on June 11, 2016 9:15PM
  • lookstwice
    lookstwice
    ✭✭✭
    Whoa is the cat in the video following your facial movements. I can't stop looking at it.

Edit: found one of his videos explaining it.
    Edited by lookstwice on June 13, 2016 5:36AM