The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Gold/Purple Mats drop rate from refining?

raasdal
raasdal
✭✭✭✭✭
Can anyone link a recent "study", showing the percentage droprates of the tempers from refining?

The latest one i can find is this one; https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/2tjkoe/results_of_refining_20000_raw_materials/

But i am being told that these are old, and that the drop rate of Gold material was doubled. Just cannot find anyone doing the numbers like here, to back that up?

Or what do you believe the correct current drop rates are for Gold and Purple mats?
PC - EU
Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't/haven't refined enough to confidently say comment on whether the drop rates have changed or it's simply RNG. However, my recent batch of ~900 Rubedite netted my 2 (two!) Alloys whereas previously I was getting ~100:1.
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, some months ago, which was the last time i refined any significant amount, i also felt like i was getting at least 1 gold mat per stack (200 raw mat), along with 3-4 purple ones.

However, yesterday i refined a good portion, and it just felt like i was not getting anywhere near the amount of tempers/tannins as i used to.

Think i read somewhere that they changed something with the refining output, with the Hotfix for the Survey abuse/exploit. Possibly the changed the droprates to compensate for the inflow of extra material from this exploit? Again, not sure.

But secondly, if we assume both I and @Sunburnt_Penguin just had bad RNG - i also just want to know if the old data i am linking is still valid, since i am being told otherwise.
    PC - EU
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see Tempers dropping at normal rates. I have also noticed that if you start refining and get no tempers/trait/style mats in the first one or two operations, then your not going to get any or very few in subsequent operations. I exit the station and re-engage at that point. If I start getting temper/trait/style then I finish up the stacks I have. Note, it is just as likely you will get little to no extra items when restarting this. If that happens to me, I just go on and do something else and leave the refining for a another time.

This is no guarantee of Golds, they drop at the same 1:100 rate that they do for everyone, but it does increase the total amount of tempers you do get from the operation. That being said, I frequently get 2 to 3 Golds per refining operation when I have 100 to 150 items to refine, and this does not have to be all in one stack either. Of course I have also gotten a bunch of Blues and Purples and no Golds too.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my statistics from beginning of 2015. Average drop rate from refinement is 5.4% of goldens and 7.8% of purple.

Image: series of refining batches from January 2015 to May 2016, 150,000 mats total. Each bar is the gold% from a row from the meta-table below.
    Screenshot%202016-05-25%2018.13.42.png

Image: combined meta-table from individual refinements.
    Screenshot%202016-05-25%2018.23.44.png

The 5% of goldens means percentage from refinements. 100 refinements give 5 goldens. Since each refinement takes ten materials, you get 5 goldens per 1000 mats, or 1 golden from 200 stack of mats.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @helediron - you are my personal hero!
    PC - EU
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I managed to test live DB refining before servers went down. Nothing dramatic has happened, i got a normal result.

But first i show a fun report. What happens, if i refine Ancestor Silk in batches of 1000:
    Screenshot%202016-05-31%2023.05.38C.jpg
    The right column shows dreugh wax drop rate from individual batches. I had about 10000 of it and decided to refine it in ten separate batches of 1000 raw mats, recording amount of drops from each individual batch.

As you see, sometimes i got 1%, sometimes 7% droprate. Also the total rate, 3.8% from 10000 is one of the lowest ever. I think this shows what a beast RNG is. Batches of 1000 give wildly varying results, and you can't really yet trust the *** even with results from 10,000 mats.

Full results: average droprate was 4.5%. That is within normal variation (between 4 and 6 percent).
    Screenshot%202016-05-31%2023.05.38A.jpg
    Amount was larger than normally, from two months of farming and survey maps. I fumbled a bit with purple/blue/green mats, because i am not yet familiar with the crafting bags. I forgot to write down initial amounts, so i estimated them from what i had as total.

Refined with my lucky AD imperial craftmaster, with all passives, without bumping craft table during refinement, without any deities bribed before refinement. I did eat two rye breads during refinement.

On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My personal drop rate is usually 200 : 1 but I have had strokes of bad luck where 600 : 0 and then I stop then other times I get 20 : 1 :open_mouth: ( in other words 2 stacks )

RNG is RNG mate but on the safe side mine is usually 200 : 1

purp mats are usually between 50-100 : 1

Kudos to ^ guy for that chart I would never horde 10k in mats ^^,
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Cu'chulainn
    I just refined 750 rubedo scraps and got 1 dreugh, last week I refined 1100 rub ore and got 2 alloys, and its not like Ive been having awesome luck prior to these. Like if I refine 5000 scraps in 30 minutes and get 1 dreugh wax, do my chances increase if I continue to refine another 5000 scraps, so it ends up being a 1-6% gold drop chance? Or is it complete random chance so in actuality I could refine 10,000 scraps and not get a single gold mat. Also is there a limiting factor on the RNG, so that if by some miracle I get 5 gold mats from 100 scraps it'll prevent me from getting anymore to keep me closer to the 1-6%? Lol just curious. But I'd love if a mod could answer these. @ZOS_GinaBruno maybe.
    Edited by Cu'chulainn on June 13, 2016 4:52AM
    V16 Breton Magblade
    V16 Bosmer Stamblade
  • Rva_Kun
    Rva_Kun
    ✭✭✭
    900k gold in 2-3 days from gold mats = good lyfe in eso.
    Threads about dreugh wax or other gold mats make me lol :D
    Actions Speak Louder Than Words.
    Fear Over The Internet = Priceless.
    Correcting Ego's Since 03'
    NA > EU

• Rva_Kun
    Rva_Kun
    ✭✭✭
    I just refined 750 rubedo scraps and got 1 dreugh, last week I refined 1100 rub ore and got 2 alloys, and its not like Ive been having awesome luck prior to these. Like if I refine 5000 scraps in 30 minutes and get 1 dreugh wax, do my chances increase if I continue to refine another 5000 scraps, so it ends up being a 1-6% gold drop chance? Or is it complete random chance so in actuality I could refine 10,000 scraps and not get a single gold mat. Also is there a limiting factor on the RNG, so that if by some miracle I get 5 gold mats from 100 scraps it'll prevent me from getting anymore to keep me closer to the 1-6%? Lol just curious. But I'd love if a mod could answer these. @ZOS_GinaBruno maybe.
    Lmao. RNG is too busy giving me one alloy per 10 scraps same with pretty much any other gold mat, sucks to be YOU.
    Actions Speak Louder Than Words.
    Fear Over The Internet = Priceless.
    Correcting Ego's Since 03'
    NA > EU