The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Should the term "Comrade" be removed from the Fighter's Guild?

arena25
arena25
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi, guys, Shedelin, Scribe to Lord Arena25 here. Lord Arena25 and his family are out right now at dinner, but while they are out, Arena25 asked me to post this discussion.

Now, before I start, Lord Arena25 wants me to preface this thread with two things...1. If I offend anyone, I sincerely apologize. 2. Part of the thread that I'm about to post may go against Forum CoC. However, despite advising Lord Arena25 on this, he insisted that I post the thread anyway and if ZoS has any problems with it, he will work with them to resolve the issue.

Now, let's get going. To start this discussion, he wants to provide some background info....

While Arena25 was playing ESO, after getting accepted into the Fighters Guild, Guildmaster Sees-All-Colors refers to the player as "Comrade". Now, at first glance, the word sounds harmless, right? Because, up until today, Lord Arena25 and I thought that comrade meant an ally.

Well, today Lord Arena25 was checking his email before heading out to dinner, and he received an email from his school newspaper's management staff which contained a critique (Arena25 serves on his school's newspaper staff, and every month when the paper comes out, they do a critique on the paper so they can make an even better paper). Well, as Lord Arena25 went through the critique, he saw an item on the list that caught his eye. Read below:

(From Critique Email):

Also, the word "comrade" has some negative connotations thanks to our buddies Mao and Stalin.

So, after reading that, and knowing that the guildmaster for the Fighters Guild says "Comrade" a lot in the game, Lord Arena25 is wondering...

Should the word "Comrade" be removed from the game?

Begin the debate/discussion...NOW!

Signed,
Shedelin
Scribe to Lord Arena25

P.S. Again, Lord Arena25 sincerely apologizes if he offends anyone, and he also sincerely apologizes if this goes against Forum CoC.
Edited by arena25 on May 23, 2016 11:10PM
If you can't handle the heat...stay out of the kitchen!
  • ciaranak
    ciaranak
    ✭✭
    Are you serious Comrade?

Comrade:1.a companion who shares one's activities or is a fellow member of an organization.

People take themselves far to seriously.

And on a side note...

The US Army Soldier's Creed (for those in America) reads:

I am an American Soldier.
    I am a warrior and a member of a team.
    I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values.
    I will always place the mission first.
    I will never accept defeat.
    I will never quit.
    I will never leave a fallen comrade.
    I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
    I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
    I am an expert and I am a professional.
    I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
    I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

Darn those Commies!!!! B)
    Edited by ciaranak on May 23, 2016 11:10PM
  • arena25
    arena25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ciaranak wrote: »
    Are you serious Comrade?

Comrade:1.a companion who shares one's activities or is a fellow member of an organization.

People take themselves far to seriously.

And on a side note...

The US Army Soldier's Creed (for those in America) reads:

I am a warrior and a member of a team.
    I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values.
    I will always place the mission first.
    I will never accept defeat.
    I will never quit.
    I will never leave a fallen comrade.
    I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
    I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
    I am an expert and I am a professional.
    I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
    I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

I see, I see...fair enough, mate.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    arena25 wrote: »
    I think you and the other voices in your head you keep referring to should go and get professional help.
    rolleyes.gif

Also, a quick search on Google could have given you the correct meaning of "Comrade" without the public embarrassment.
    shades.gif
  • Daimmyo
    Daimmyo
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous on one end
    "The term comrade is used to mean "friend", "mate", "colleague", or "ally", and derives from the Iberian Romance language term camarada, literally meaning "chamber mate", from Latin camera "chamber" or "room"."

Meaning all warriors tend to call each other comrades.

And besides that - I could put a history lesson here as I am a child from the family of communists - but I would rather just skip pathetic *** and redundant storytelling at the moment.

You like it or not, whether you keep the word in a silly little game or not, Stallin or Mao and their crimes, or George Bush and his grandfather (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar) and his father and those presidents in between and their crimes - I don't plan to deny or ague about any of that - really I mean sorry guys if this offends you, sincerely, but I don't give a *** (sorry about my bad french) about how do you feel about that word.

• arena25
    arena25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    I think you and the other voices in your head you keep referring to should go and get professional help.
    rolleyes.gif

Also, a quick search on Google could have given you the correct meaning of "Comrade" without the public embarrassment.
    shades.gif

The meaning doesn't matter, what matters is the connotation. Look up the term "connotation."
    Edited by arena25 on May 23, 2016 11:17PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The meaning doesn't matter, what matters is the connotation. Look up the term "connotation."
    I don't have to look it up because unlike you with "Comrade", i know the meaning of "connotation".

And your "connotation" is culturally and more importantly localized, which makes it completely irrelevant for most of us.
    bye1.gif
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should the term "comrade" be removed from the game because of american preoccupation with communism? No.
    PC | EU
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL
  • Celas_Dranacea
    Celas_Dranacea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Fighters Guild should be renamed the Freedom Guild and they should serve freedom fries in the cafeteria.

Also they should replace that sword symbol for the freedom guild with a bald eagle riding a Harley while holding a gun and eating a hot dog.
    A Bosmer Nightblade Werewolf
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Fighters Guild should be renamed the Freedom Guild and they should serve freedom fries in the cafeteria.

Also they should replace that sword symbol for the freedom guild with a bald eagle riding a Harley while holding a gun and eating a hot dog.

nah, bubble wrap armor and "you tried" stickers.
  • Riffler
    Riffler
    ✭✭
    I hate to break it to you, but Tamriel is a fictional world, not some part of the real world, and therefore has its own distinct history, in which "Mao" and "Stalin" played no part, and the word comrade has no connotations connected with them.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    165f1fda72edd989ebfec283782b8e0c.jpg
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Dhukath
    Dhukath
    ✭✭✭

This made me lol so much, thank you.
  • Lore_lai
    Lore_lai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good god, you said "Lord Arena25" like 5 bazillion times in your post! :D

Also, how many "lords" must we have on the forums?
  • JHawk
    JHawk
    ✭✭
    ... This can't be serious. Because, you know, "Comrade" in the world of Tamriel obviously has the same connotations and contextual history as IRL, right?

This is not even mentioning that you're clearly cherry picking the "meaning" of a word to incite a meaningless conversation aside from possibly preying on the fears of the mentally feeble and/or delusional.

0/10 troll job.

P.S. As an aside I would fully support the removal of the letter Q from all text in the game. Only the capital Q's as they have those infuriating little squiggles at the bottom ( Q <---- see there it is mocking me right now!) and this is an injustice I simply will not abide.
    Edited by JHawk on July 13, 2016 10:23PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many personalities in your post, it's hard to take it seriously. Either you're roleplaying (in which case this post can't be serious) or you actually speak about yourself as someone else speaking on your behalf and you have some other large issues to deal with.

When making a serious post, pretend you're corresponding with your employer or maybe customers. Keep it professional and you'll get a response about your topic, not your writing.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How do people dig up these threads? By searching for "communist troll guild" or what?

It has died twice already, three's the charm, so please bury it a final time and let it rest.
    Edited by Leandor on July 13, 2016 10:57PM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    How do people dig up these threads? By searching for "communist troll guild" or what?

It has died twice already, three's the charm, so please bury it a final time and let it rest.

Very well Compadre .
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    please bury it a final time and let it rest.
    I have to disagree ... Celas_Dranacea's answer just made my day :smiley:
    Also, the word "comrade" has some negative connotations thanks to our buddies Mao and Stalin.
    The fighters guild having been set up by akaviri-cyrodiilic imperialist oppressors may or may not give some negative connotations to the word too... ^^
    JHawk wrote: »
    P.S. As an aside I would fully support the removal of the letter Q from all text in the game. Only the capital Q's as they have those infuriating little squiggles at the bottom ( Q <---- see there it is mocking me right now!) and this is an injustice I simply will not abide.
    I support this idea, since spelling this letter in french means our word for "butt" thus I feel offended.
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;