The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Public Dungeon roles help

RagnarThePwner
RagnarThePwner
Soul Shriven
Hi all,

I'm a level 28 Nord, everything I've done combat wise so far has gone into two handed and so I use a battle axe exclusively and I wear medium armour - currently Leather all crafted to Superior.

My question is this, is the above a build that allows me to play as tank in group dungeons? Is that role dependant on what armour/weapon you use?

I started doing public dungeons yesterday, I played around 4 of them as tank and was having a great time. I just went after everything, not backing off etc but then on the 5th dungeon this guy got really moody with me, said I couldn't be tank without a shield and said I wasn't tanking and so someone else in the group was covering for me??

Should I be playing as damage dealer instead? I tried selecting that as a role and waited in a queue for over 20 minutes and got nothing, then selected tank and got invited in seconds?

I've played every elder scrolls but I don't know about these mmo roles and stuff and don't fancy reading a 200 page guide...
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your current build would be more focused on DPS than tanking by the sounds of it.

Tanking can be done by medium armour and two handed weapons but most of the time you want to have sword and shied on at least one bar for the taunt skill and bonus blocking, additionally picking up the ranged taunt from Undaunted Skills once it's unlocked.

The main role of a basic tank is to take the agression of many mobs starting out (be first in with an AoE) and to hold the attention of boss monsters (taunts and blocks here) without dying so everyone else can focus on DPS/Healing.

There are more advanced tanking builds later on where you can DPS or heal as well as do the tanking.

Generally you shouldn't queue for something in group finder which you're not actually playing, this will just end up with a miss matched group (four DPS as some queued as heal/tank) and not being able to finish the content. The reason it takes time to get groups as DPS is because there are far more of them than tanks and healers.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most important role of a tank is to taunt the boss and hold aggro. The way you describe your playstyle is a description of a DPS not a tank. There is a taunt skill in the sword and board skill tree and one in the Undaunted skill line. If you are not holding a bosses aggro you are doing a disservice to your group.

You are right there are more people playing DPS than tanks in this game so you will find a group faster as a tank but if you say you are a tank you need to learn the role before saying that you will play that role in a group dungeon.

A public dungeon is different from a group dungeon. A public dungeon is an open dungeon that can have more than four people in it so you don't need to play a role in.a public dungeon but I have assumed you meant a group dungeon.
    Edited by Curragraigue on May 22, 2016 10:31AM
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • RagnarThePwner
    RagnarThePwner
    Soul Shriven
    Ah thanks, yeah I meant group sorry.

So if I pick up a shield and one handed, I can play as tank? I've put no skill points in either so I'd imagine I'd be pretty useless?

And taunts are unlocked via skill points? I'm almost certain I have none... sounds like that guy was right to be mad at me!
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first skill in the sword and board tree is a taunt. Yes you will need a skill point to unlock it. Once you taunt, the boss will stay on you as long as you keep taunting it. So make sure you have a food buff, self heal skill and health potions.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've run a couple times lately on my healer with high-health 2H users about your level who are queued are tanks. Since they have seemed to be trying to tank, I haven't said anything, just quietly loaded up a S&B and finished the dungeon.

This game does nothing to help new tanks learn the basics. I suggest joining a guild so you have a community of players that can help you. It's a lot more fun than reading guides on the internet.

If you want to tank, you'll never lack for dungeon mates. If you want to be a tanky DPS, that's viable too, and having a guild and regular people you play with will help that queue problem.
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I admit that I do not know a whole lot about tanking. But, I noticed that you are running medium armour instead of heavy armour ( so you can take damage ), just a thought.

One more thing, depending on the how much gold ( or Crowns ) you have, you may want to respect and puts points into 1hand a shield.
    Just a thought.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.