Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

dumb crafting question

RagnarThePwner
RagnarThePwner
Soul Shriven
Hi,

I'm lv26 now and have a quick dumb question - now that I'm 26 should I be able to craft medium armour in leather? I've just gone to a clothing station, tried to make a Jack and only have raw hide and hide as options?
  • Kungfu
    Kungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not your character level that matters. It's how much you've worked that craft and how many points you've invested in it.

To craft level 26 gear, you'll need to deconstruct enough cloth or medium gear to get your clothing skill line up around 10 or so (I'm totally guessing on the number there - I can't check specifics from my current location).

Then you just need to spend a couple of points in the first skill on that clothing skill line. Investing more points in that skill is what defines how high a level you can craft and the overall clothing skill you have (1 - 50) defines how many points you can invest into that first skill.
    Edited by Kungfu on May 20, 2016 6:27PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, in all crafting, there is a passive that define the material level that you can work with. As you level your crafting, you unlock the ability to spend points on the material passives to allow you to make higher level items. This is compeltey independent of the character level. As in you can have an L20 that can make top level gear as far as mats goes. Theoretically, an L3 could make top level gear, just they probably won't have the skill points to invest in the passives.

Now, this brings up an interesting point. To be an effective crafter in multiple lines at Character Level 26, you would probably need to go farm all the skyshards you can in your alliance. You can get 6 to 8 skyshards per zone with no combat, so 30 to 40 easy skyshards, or 10 to 13 skill points to invest in crafting.
    Edited by Nestor on May 20, 2016 6:48PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• RagnarThePwner
    RagnarThePwner
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks, I understand now!

One last thing, my clothing is lv7 it's gonna take hours of deconstructs to get it to 10. I can see at the guild traders I can just buy Leather Jacks, boots etc. If I were to buy them, would they look the same as if I had crafted them? In the Nord style? The item description doesn't really specify. ..
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big problem with the guild traders is, you can't see the name of the Motif the item is made with, unless you have an addon. If your on PC, get Craftstore and that will take care of things for your crafting needs.

However, if it is the same motif it will look the same.

And, it really won't take all that long to get your clothing up to L10 by deconning. Just go into a Public Dungeon, or other preferred grind spot and kill mobs until your bags are full (and empty your bags in the first place into the bank so that they have room). It should not take all that long to loot enough stuff to decon to level the skill. If you don't have the combat chops yet, then focus on wolves and skeevers, they are squishy and drop lots of loot, not much exp though.

Also, if you have some extra gold, buy Intricate items in the guild stores and decon those. I think there is some falloff in Inspiration gained if you decon something that is way over your level, but I would hunt down any gear that is L30 or less and Intricate for these purposes. Once you get your crafting to mid levels, then use any Intricate gear you can afford.

Edited by Nestor on May 20, 2016 10:04PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"