Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New to the game - looking for some advice

Kylric
Kylric
✭✭
Hello folks,

I’ve been playing ESO for about a month, time permitting, and I am truly enjoying the game. I have a few questions, not all regarding class / race questions.

So far I’ve played two classes - Templar (level 12) and Nightblade (level 16), I’m not really interested in the other two. I’m planning to stick with the Templar. So much to learn!

My questions:

Skills
I’ve been reading a bunch of guides and watching videos. I find many focus on focus on being the best at endgame with specific gear set-ups, etc. I’ve played plenty of MMOs and I’m not a min/max kind of guy overall. However, I don’t want to gimp myself either. From what I’ve read, ESO seems to have major patches and changes every few months and when they do make significant changes I’m assuming they sometimes allow for re-specialization? I’m not necessarily looking for a build, but I would like to ask about any skills that are almost a “must have” and any that are “don’t bother”. I would also like for advice on the order for getting some of the skills. I’ve learned, later than I would have liked, the value of putting at least one skill point into each tree to at least help the character at higher levels – but I still don’t see the “bigger picture” for most for the game.

Just a little bit of insight on my ideal Templar:

- I do not now, or in the future, ever want to be known as the party’s healer. Nope. I’m a warrior / adventurer. If I’m in a group I don’t mind healing someone, but I don’t want to have to focus on healing others. I’ve read several people comment on different posts that once you hit level 50 the Templars “will” become the group healer. If this is the case, I will stay with NB.
- I tend to be a Solo player– PVE (I don’t PVP) and since I solo mostly I’m looking for survivability. Although I’m not anti-social, I want to be able to stop and pick up some crafting material when I want to or check those crates for hidden treasure.
- I’m 80% sure I’m going with a stam build, although I feel magical might be a bit more versatile. I’m interested to learn if the pending changes to stam builds.
- I’m thinking of going S&W and Dual Wield
- If I stick to a stam build, I will be an Imperial. If I go the magical route – Brenton
- I will be looking to train a bunch in crafting, and thinking leaning on leatherwork. I don’t see if viable to focus on two types, maybe Blacksmithing as well. Thoughts?
- I’m not interested in becoming a werewolf or a vampire

Questions:
1. For a warrior type Templar - What skills should I just not bother with? Which should I take? Obviously I will be taking puncturing strike (morphed) and piercing javelin (morphed).
2. If I stick to a stam build, should I use anything from the Dawn’s Wrath tree?
3. If I go the magic route, should I use skill points into weapons skills? Especially since puncturing strike is the primary “button”?
4. Is there any benefit if I use a racial weapon or armor skills? Example: If I go Brenton, should I use the racial light armor affinity skills or would it be best to use the skills under standard armor skills – if it even matters?
5. Which Ultimate is the best for Templars of this style? I don’t understand when one of my skill tress states something like it reads for the Nova Ultimate … “an ally can activate Supernova…” Does not sound like a solo player benefits from this type of a skill as much as someone who is primarily in group play.

Other Skills:
1. I’m hooked on trying to pick the locks on random chests I find. Is it worth adding skills point to lock picking?
2. I’ve not put any points into fighter guild, mages or Soul magic. Thoughts?

Add-ons
1. I have the add-ons that help locate Skyshards and the lore books. Any other “must haves”?

Mounts
1. I currently have the white Imperial horse. However, I know at some point I will get myself a more entertaining mount (maybe a wolf!). Will I need to start my mount’s “feeding” over again in order to get more backpack space or will it upgrade to the level I have my horse at?

I know people are always asking for advice, and I appreciate any given on this thread.
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO seems to have major patches and changes every few months and when they do make significant changes I’m assuming they sometimes allow for re-specialization?
    We sometimes get free re-specs when major changes are made. But you can re-spec your skill points and attribute points whenever you want for gold. The only choices that are permanent right now are Race choice, appearance, and name (altho I hope this changes soon). :)
    - I will be looking to train a bunch in crafting, and thinking leaning on leatherwork. I don’t see if viable to focus on two types, maybe Blacksmithing as well. Thoughts?
    As you get more and more skill points, you'll find that you have plenty of points to invest in every single craft if you like. No need to specialize in just one. In fact I recommend you start researching traits in Blacksmith, Clothier, and Woodworker asap. You can spend skill points later as you get more. Skill points are awarded for leveling up, collecting skyshards, ranking up in PVP, finishing "group events" in Public dungeons, and finishing Main quests.
    4. Is there any benefit if I use a racial weapon or armor skills?
    Not really. As a breton you'll level your light armor skill faster, but in the end a Nord will be just as good at light armor as a Breton for example.
    5. Which Ultimate is the best for Templars of this style? I don’t understand when one of my skill tress states something like it reads for the Nova Ultimate … “an ally can activate Supernova…” Does not sound like a solo player benefits from this type of a skill as much as someone who is primarily in group play.
    The synergy is really just a secondary bonus effect. Nova is a strong Ult even without it.
    2. I’ve not put any points into fighter guild, mages or Soul magic. Thoughts?
    When Dark Brotherhood DLC hits, Fighters Guild will be even better for Stamina classes than it is now. If you go stam...invest in Fighters guild!