The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Necromancer

k9mouse
k9mouse
✭✭✭✭✭
If ZOS adds necromancy as skill line; it has to follow some ground rules (aka lore)

1) The important rule any new skill must follow is lore (the logic and history of Nirn / TES games)

2) By definition of the Necromancy School that raised the dead; it must have and use undead bodies. In gameplay terms, a player must kill a NPC and then that player could use the body for a thrall (like a sorc pet).

3) The class either have be an ex Worm cult member or never had join to keep in lore with the main story.

4) Any other ground rules that Necromancy skill line follow?

What type of lore friendly skills do you think that might be in a Necromancy skill line should have? Any ideas will work as long they are lore friendly.

Please note: as long as the skill is lore friend I am interested hearing your idea. If your idea is not lore friendly, I am not interested in your idea.
Edited by k9mouse on May 13, 2016 1:24PM
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No to necromancer. Summoning and siphoning belong to other classes already. Plus necromancers are the in game enemy. We need a stamina based melee class.
    Edited by nordsavage on May 12, 2016 11:27PM
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
    Options
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancy doesn't NEED always need a fresh dead body, in Skyrim for example you could summon Bonemen/Mistmen/Wrathmen from the Soul Cairn.

I would like at least one spell that doesn't require a dead body, but the more powerful spells should require one. Also if there were skills such as "Coldfire Bolt" or something and not just resurrection skills, they obviously wouldn't need a dead body.
    William Thorne - EP Breton Sorcerer
    Astrid Winterborn - EP Breton Warden
    Erik Ironskin - EP Nord Dragonknight
    Venasa Viri - EP Dunmer Nightblade

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
    Options
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I hate to say it, but Necromancy in Elder Scrolls lore basically boils down to one skill; the ability to reanimate the dead in some form or another..

Rather than add a whole character class, it makes a lot more sense to just tack that one skill onto some other skill set. Like Soul Magic. Make it cost a soul gem, and it's a universal skill anyone can get. Then anyone who wants to can call themselves a Necromancer.

Edit: Quality of undead beasty directly linked to the quality of soulgem expended.

Edited by ShedsHisTail on May 12, 2016 11:35PM
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
    Options
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I hate to say it, but Necromancy in Elder Scrolls lore basically boils down to one skill; the ability to reanimate the dead in some form or another..

Rather than add a whole character class, it makes a lot more sense to just tack that one skill onto some other skill set. Like Soul Magic. Make it cost a soul gem, and it's a universal skill anyone can get. Then anyone who wants to can call themselves a Necromancer.

Edit: Quality of undead beasty directly linked to the quality of soulgem expended.

I think they could do a lot more than this... you could have some kind of ultimate summoning a lich (or possibly even toggle you INTO a lich), a skill that sends in an exploding poison skeleton (like in vCoA), include a "Coldfire Bolt" spell that would add usable ice damage into the game (not technically necromancy but fits with the feeling I get from a necromancer), and then obviously a skill that resurrects a dead body.

One very interesting thing necromancy could do to the game, is allow you to resurrect enemy players in PvP, preventing their side from bringing them back with a soul gem. Obviously would have to have a long cast time but could be very cool.

Edit: If you turned an enemy player into your zombie they would obviously still be able to wayshrine.
    Edited by lassitershawn on May 12, 2016 11:44PM

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
    Options
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'd be cool if you could re-animate dead enemy players bodies & they couldn't respawn till released :D Have their re-animated corpses run back & attack their faction mates (maybe with the same effect as a meatbag catapult for the LOLs)
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
    Options
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dem0n1k wrote: »
    It'd be cool if you could re-animate dead enemy players bodies & they couldn't respawn till released :D Have their re-animated corpses run back & attack their faction mates (maybe with the same effect as a meatbag catapult for the LOLs)

This would unfortunately lead to griefing lol. But even stopping an enemy from rezzing one of their allies at the place of death would be very powerful, especially if you were part of a smaller group fighting a larger one.

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
    Options
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they could do a lot more than this... you could have some kind of ultimate summoning a lich (or possibly even toggle you INTO a lich), a skill that sends in an exploding poison skeleton (like in vCoA), include a "Coldfire Bolt" spell that would add usable ice damage into the game (not technically necromancy but fits with the feeling I get from a necromancer), and then obviously a skill that resurrects a dead body.

But the question was, lore-friendly options. Those are not.
    1.) A lich is not a thing you summon, they're free-willed undead bound by their own volition.
    2.) Becoming a lich is a lengthy ritual and not reversible.
    3.) Poison skeleton needs fresh skeleton to work; probably be disease damage. :)
    4.) Pretty sure Destruction Staff already has something like a Coldfire Bolt.
    5.) Reanimating a dead body could work, but, like you said in the rest of your post, it'd have to be a long cast time.

I know that all sounds nit-picky, but I didn't come up with the lore-friendly qualifier. I'm just adhering to it.
    There's just really not much to differentiate an Elder Scrolls necromancer from any other Elder Scrolls mage.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Options
  • Runaan
    Runaan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I support Necromancer as a new skill line completely. However, not as a whole new class in any way.

Edited by Runaan on May 12, 2016 11:57PM
    Runaan Fortis
    Altmer Sorcerer

Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines.

- A Dominion of peace. The fair and just rule of Tamriel
    Options
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1.) A lich is not a thing you summon, they're free-willed undead bound by their own volition.

3.) Poison skeleton needs fresh skeleton to work; probably be disease damage. :)
    5.) Reanimating a dead body could work, but, like you said in the rest of your post, it'd have to be a long cast time.

I know that all sounds nit-picky, but I didn't come up with the lore-friendly qualifier. I'm just adhering to it.
    There's just really not much to differentiate an Elder Scrolls necromancer from any other Elder Scrolls mage.

Yes ik it isn't lore-friendly in the slightest to either summon or be a lich, but it would be epic lets be honest.

Not necessarily on the poison skeleton. As I stated above, you can summon bonemen (which are essentially skeletons) from the Soul Cairn without possessing a physical skeleton.

Destruction staff definitely does not have a Coldfire Bolt. You can use an ice staff for ice damage, but other staff types are almost always better.

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
    Options
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runaan wrote: »
    I support Necromancer as a new skill line completely. However, not as a whole new class in any way.

Agreed. I would also like the summons from Sorcerer class to become universal and give us something else cool in their place, but I'm sure this will never happen.

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
    Options
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a -set- of skills added to the Soul Magic line?
    Two or three skills on the theme of necromancy.

I still think a universal skill that reanimates the dead should at least cost a soul stone.
    Giving every player the option of having a combat pet; even temporarily, should have a cost.
    Options
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I still think a universal skill that reanimates the dead should at least cost a soul stone.
    Giving every player the option of having a combat pet; even temporarily, should have a cost.

Cost is bar slots and magicka, especially if they make it like sorc pets and require 2 (PLEASE DONT ZOS). To require a soul gem, they would have to be VERY strong.

Edit: Though possibly making an enemy player in PvP your zombie should require a gem.
    Edited by lassitershawn on May 13, 2016 12:08AM

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
    Options
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, I'm just not that jazzed about the whole Necromancer thing.

I mean, as a Lore buff and a big supporter of "play the way you want," having it not be an option seems like an oversight. But, from a game design perspective, it just doesn't feel like a big enough variation on the Mage theme to worry about.

I mean, lore-wise, Necromancers are the bad guys. They always have been. In other Elder Scrolls games, if you get caught practicing necromancy in a town, the guards will want to talk to you. Of course, it was the same with being a werewolf or vampire; which, as a lore buff, is another oversight I think should be corrected.

Every time I see a werewolf or vampire in Mournhold or Riften, I sort of just sigh to myself and remember the good old days or previous games. Would make it worse if every third person in town had a zombie trailing behind them.
    Options
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You could summon Liches in Oblivion.
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
    Options
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe, but Oblivion was terrible. :)
    Options
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭

That would be the best way I think. The ultimate could supercharge your undead minion, with the morphs temporarily changing them to a supped up flesh or bone creature as seen at chains. Four or five skills to raise and control their undead critters.

Passives could increase the undead's active time, health, damage, with also a utility passive like making undead enemies yellow until you attack or something like that.
    Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer
    Options
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepability of necromancy varies with time and place.

Far from it. Second only to Morrowind. Leagues better than the rest after that.
    Options
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepability of necromancy varies with time and place.

Far from it. Second only to Morrowind. Leagues better than the rest after that.

Yeah, I never really liked Oblivion. Don't get me wrong, I played the hell out of it when it was new, but I always wanted more than it was willing to offer. Felt too traditional to me. It was every other fantasy property with "Elder Scrolls" stamped on the box.
    Options
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cost is bar slots and magicka, especially if they make it like sorc pets and require 2 (PLEASE DONT ZOS). To require a soul gem, they would have to be VERY strong.

I never played Oblivion... :( started with Skyrim and went back for some Morrowind. If this is true, this has to be the ultimate >:D

Edit: Quoted myself and you somehow... oops.
    Edited by lassitershawn on May 13, 2016 12:40AM

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
    Options
  • Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No to the new class, but a skill line, hell yeah. I'd be all over that. I usually play a nightblade, then a necromancer in TES.
    Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
    ―Madanach
    Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All for necromancy skill lines or class.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
    Options
  • IV1IVJA
    IV1IVJA
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, lore-wise, Necromancers are the bad guys. They always have been. In other Elder Scrolls games, if you get caught practicing necromancy in a town, the guards will want to talk to you. Of course, it was the same with being a werewolf or vampire; which, as a lore buff, is another oversight I think should be corrected.

Every time I see a werewolf or vampire in Mournhold or Riften, I sort of just sigh to myself and remember the good old days or previous games. Would make it worse if every third person in town had a zombie trailing behind them.

Yeah, it should be that if people are openly showing their lycanthropy or vampirisim in public, they should be caught out for that. Connect it to the Justice System or something. Otherwise, NPCs go from telling you how they hate/are going to kill this creature, to being ok with them, and even talking to them.

Anyway, on topic, there should be some necromancy skills attached to the soul magic skill line. It doesn't have to be a separate skill line itself, but could be. What it shouldn't be, is a separate class. There's just not enough different from the current classes, as pointed out by 'nordsavage'. Also, as I was just talking about with lycanthropy and vampirism, if you have your undead 'pets' walking around with you in public, you should be caught for that.
    Options
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necro's do not 'need' a body to summon a spirit. in oblivion and morrowind, you did not need a body. however for this skill line, i dont mind it, would add a unique flavor, however there should be one summon that is summonable without a body, maybe a spirit of some sort.

and yes, i think necromancy should be added to the game, every past TES game in the series allowed it.
    Options
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some interesting ideas, does anyone have anymore ideas?
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An excuse for you to be granted special permission for using necromancy (ideally granted to you by the leader of your alliance) is enough for me to accept it.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    Options
  • Necrelios
    Necrelios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like Necromancers should have a one hand fighting skill line as well, because in games like TESV: Skyrim where there were a lot of necromancers, they always had a dagger, for some reason. In ESO, daggers are kinda useless for any magicka build though, which is weird as it doesn't seem to fit the lore.
    Terms & Conditions ["We revoke permission to fictional legal constructs or private/public persons for selling of any private data, censorship, surveillance, personage or conversion as a trespass of law. We prohibit the practice of "procedural law" or corporate statues in place of divine law."]
    Options