Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What will happen to all the mats?

emily3989
emily3989
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, right now we have crafting mats for Vet (1-3, 4-6, 7-8, 9-14) that are not very much used now, as most grinding through Vet levels don't bother re-gearing this much as it is. With the new DLC drop, now anyone with 160 CP will never require any of these mats again, as all their alts, once they hit lvl50, will simply only need the V16 stuff. You certainly don't need any of this to lvl up crafting, I maxed all mine out just deconstructing, and you can research lvl 10 junk, so I guess I am wondering, is the bottom going to fall out for all these tiers of crafting mats? I mean, who is really going to have any interest in them whatsoever, except for the occasional person that is on their first character or does not know any better.

[Assuming these mats will now be rescaled to some CP range between 1 and 160]

Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've already flogged/researched all of my v1-14 set pieces that I was holding for alts. I'll be keeping hold of my v9-14 for writs (assuming these don't change) but will likely use everything else for testing out gear set-ups.
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's an interesting question. Since the equipment level is every 10 champion points and with the catch up mechanism you fly through the first 100 points, it makes a lot of crafting tiers useless.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am hoping they make all post vet mats the same value as far as armor goes, just need more to make higher CP ranked items. This way we can sport Kreshweed at the top rank, or Void Cloth if we prefer that look. We already kind of have that mat progression per level, so it is not a major change.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they explain this on ESO live today . Good question OP !
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hopefully answering this question has led to some sleepless nights for someone at zos pondering how to make these mats relevant when vet ranks are gone. I hope they came up with a creative answer. Since CP will determine post 50 level, I don't see how that will happen. Of 5 active alts, only two are not v16. I plan to stop them at level 50, knowing my CP (550+) will push them to top tier with DB. I may never craft with less than v15 mats again, since leveling alts do fine in looted gear. I still harvest those mats though, since refining works the same on all level mats.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • treborrealb14_ESO
    treborrealb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they explain this on ESO live today . Good question OP !

It was one of the topics Gina mentioned as this ESO live is about Vet Rank Removal and its changes
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say it would be a boring world if all we could see or use is top tier mats.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would also be nice to somehow be able to use lower tier mats when crafting V16 type gear, just to have different appearance options. Kind of sucks we are forced to only be able to see max lvl armor styles.

For example, if it takes 120 v16 mats for at item, why not just 100 and 20 of whatever other tier mat and the option to craft it in that particular "look"
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • llSRRll
    llSRRll
    ✭✭✭
    Yea the removal of the veteran levels is going to do a number on the crafting in this game. Everyone is going to have maxed out gear and that sucks. I would hate to say it but PvP is kinda killing this game a bit. Everyone wants to be Rambo and thinks they can kill anyone who they come across and cries when they get their tail handed to them. They already scale everything to balance out PvP and I thought that was a terrible idea. They are essentially turning this game into a button jammer on the PvP side. I probably in the minority here but I thought they should have left the vet system and got ride of scaling so that people who do play all the time no matter their skill level of hitting buttons would have an advantage against those that dont play a lot. On top of it, it would make crafting somewhat of a viable usefulness to PvP. Oh well they are just trying to get more people to play and I suppose its better to play with more button jamming morons and expand the community then to have a really difficult game that nobody plays.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    they will matter for newer players working their first char thru cp10-150 but thats about it.

I crafted out all of mine for vendor sale before TG.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    they will matter for newer players working their first char thru cp10-150 but thats about it.

I crafted out all of mine for vendor sale before TG.

Even a new player will blast through v1 and many of the early vet levels. They will craft up a v1 set then find they are out of level range within an hour of casual play and then they will never ever need that gear or any associated mats ever again.

The soon to be useless crafting mats are hopefully something zos considered when making this vet level change (I refuse to call it removal as it's just shifting things around)
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I've been wondering this as well.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I will say it would be a boring world if all we could see or use is top tier mats.

I actually like that boring world. SWG gear-industry-merchant-crafting system would rock, and would be way more fun than standard gear system. Still love the game though, I'm just saying there are more interesting ways to handle gear.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • TheSpin
    TheSpin
    ✭✭✭
    There are two sides of this issue:

1. What to do about all of the appearances that will not be seen?
    This is an issue that every game goes through as it matures, some previous games added appearance slots, some added "transmutation." I hope they do something, and I hope it applies to gear from all level ranges. I like some of the low level stuff a lot.

2. What to do with all of the refined mats?
    I can actually propose a really simple solution for this. PvP is a big part of the game....implement crafting of pvp items such as wall repair material, siege weapons, etc. It could even be expanded for pvp-only potions etc.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheSpin wrote: »
    There are two sides of this issue:

2. What to do with all of the refined mats?
    I can actually propose a really simple solution for this. PvP is a big part of the game....implement crafting of pvp items such as wall repair material, siege weapons, etc. It could even be expanded for pvp-only potions etc.

Another option would to be use these mats for mats house items when housing is implemented.
    Megaservers: PC NA (sometimes) / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (mostly)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Shared My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    ESO Calendarmancer - Retired
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps