Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New To This Game And Crafting. I Have some Questions.

Gingivitis
Hi :)

So I am new to ESO... the game is quite different than what I am used to.
Just a few questions for now.

First: How many professions can you have in this game (do they even call them professions in ESOTU?).

Second: How do you go about getting mats? Since there's no global auction house in this game it looks like I won't be able to buy them (if the need arises) so I have to get them from somewhere. Thus far (I'm level 6 at the moment) I've harvested around 10 pieces of wood/timber and a few pieces of iron, but have no idea how to go about harvesting cloth. How do I get cloth (from drops, or do they have skinning in this game?). Are their different types of cloth in this game? I'm a squishy (Sorc) and at the moment I am using medium armor but would like to craft some light pieces of armor and need to know how I go about doing that.

How do I go about getting recipes?

I came across a quest in Daggerfall which asked that I select one of two different NPCS for crafting writs (?) or something like that. I am only able to select one NPC or the other and I didn't commit to anything (I think it said something about dailies) because I have no idea what that's all about (yet) and didn't want to get stuck with something that I don't like or can't use. What are writs, and what is that quest all about?

I have a lot of other questions, but that will be all for now.

PS.

I am new to this game so please remember that I probably won't understand what you are saying if you use a lot of game terminology.
Please keep your answers simple and not too complicated, so that I will better understand what you are saying.

Thank you in advance for your response.
If you got it, flaunt it. If you don't, flaunt it anyway!

Best Answers

• TitanJeff
    TitanJeff
    ✭✭
    There are lots of articles out there via Google I've found over the last few months.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/guides/guide-to-elder-scrolls-online-crafting
    https://www.esouniverse.com/guides/crafting/
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Crafting

Lots to read and digest.

As far as I know, you can craft as many things as time/skills points allow. My main character does clothing, woodworking and blacksmithing. I have another I plan on learning to cook/brew.

Mats are made from the raw materials you gather killing creatures like wolves, crabs, etc. for medium armor and picking various plants for light. You take them to town, go to the clothing station and refine. But you won't be able to create anything with higher level mats until you get enough experience and skill in that particular area. Certain mats correspond to the level of your character. Like, Jute, for example, is a plant for light armor from level 1-15. To make something from Flax, you have to be level 16 and have enough experience points in clothing to apply a skill point to make light armor using that.

Trying out a few of the early writs is a good way to be introduced to all the different ways of crafting.

Recipes appear in things you search through like treasure chests, nightstands, etc you find while exploring. You can purchase them through guild traders too, I think.
    Edited by TitanJeff on May 4, 2016 12:11PM
    Answer ✓
  • Feynn
    Feynn
    ✭✭✭
    First: How many professions can you have in this game (do they even call them professions in ESOTU?).

I don't think most people call them "professions", but in any case you can have as many as you want, as long as you are willing to get all the skill points you will need for them. On my main character I have levelled up all the crafting skills, and I use all of them. I am also a squishy Sorcerer, but especially in the end game even a squishy Sorcerer needs to use some heavy armor and some melee weapons if you want to maximize your stats and dps, so if you want to be able to craft everything for yourself, you can (and should) level up all the professions. Just make sure you collect all the skyshards and do the quests which give skill points, and don't waste skill points in active skills you will never use (don't worry, you can respec your skill points later on in the game by spending gold).

Second: How do you go about getting mats?

There is no global auction house, but there are plenty of guild traders around the world. You can buy materials from them, if you wish. I generally don't, I prefer to gather my materials in different ways. How?
    1. You can harvest raw materials from resource nodes around the world. For clothing at early levels you need to gather Jute from plants you can find all over Glenumbra (if you are in the Daggerfall Covenant). Just look for them, they are very big and obvious (they look like this). As you progress in levels and move to different zones you will find different plants (as well as different looking timber and ore nodes). Before you can use them for crafting, you will need to refine the raw materials at a crafting station.
    2. After you have levelled up your crafting skills sufficiently, you can spend skill points to unlock hirelings. Hirelings will deliver materials directly to you as mail attachments.
    3. You can deconstruct gear. If you deconstruct light armor, you will get crafting materials according to the armor's level.
    By refining raw materials, deconstructing gear and through the hirelings you will also get other important materials like style materials (which you will need to craft gear in specific styles) and tempers (which you can use to upgrade the quality of your items).

How do I go about getting recipes?

Which recipes are you talking about exactly? If you mean provisioning recipes, you can buy some of them from NPCs (the recipes you need for provisioning writs), but in general you can just find them around the world by looting boxes, crates, chests, wardrobes and so on (all the containers you can steal from, essentially). If you mean motif books to craft in different styles, you can also loot most of them from containers, although some specific motifs are farmed in different ways. You can also buy recipes and motifs from guild traders around the world.

I came across a quest in Daggerfall which asked that I select one of two different NPCS for crafting writs (?) or something like that.
    You can actually select both of them. I can't remember exactly now because it was a long time ago for me, but it might be possible that you can only select one at a time? Maybe. In any case, after you have selected and completed the quest for one profession, you will also be able to do the other ones. My character is "certified" in all the professions, so I can take writs for all the crafting skills. You don't need to choose just one, so just go ahead, pick one, and eventually you'll be able to do all of them.

I hope this answers your questions! If anything is not clear, please let me know and I'll try to clarify. Good luck, and happy crafting!

Join us on Stormhaven RP! The largest TESO roleplay community of the Daggerfall Covenant, EU Megaserver.
    Answer ✓
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the game @Gingivitis what platform are you? Xbox EU and I'll help you to some recipes.

As per above, research the links. Do the Writ Certifications quests in starter zones to learn the crafts.

Open every container to get mats / recipes. Once you have gold you can buy items from guild traders, or try to join a guild, there's a subforum for your OS. Great way to get help.

Of you have ten mates playing create a guild and you get a guild bank (500 slots) if you try to do all crafts you will run out of space fast.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Answer ✓
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • medusasfolly
    medusasfolly
    ✭✭✭

Look here
    for a full guide on all crafting which incudes: blacksmith, clothier, woodworker, enchanter, alchemist and provisioner.

Recipes can be found in containers by stealing in cities, looting in dungeons/wild or purchasing from Guild traders. Guild traders can be found in just about any town.

Crafting Writs - do the training and that will explain all you need to know. You can find the quest givers for this in the mage's guild building and the fighter's guild building.