The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Legate Black Colour

dtm_samuraib16_ESO
dtm_samuraib16_ESO
✭✭✭✭
How/where can I unlock this much needed colour please?

Thank you.
Earthdawn Game Master Role Play Quotes by me:
"If it looks like a bear, if it feels like a bear, smells and tastes like a bear, then be VERY aware, it could be something ENTIRELY different..."
"Be careful what you wish for, you might get plenty of it..."
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You need to get the Legate Alliance Rank in PvP. Assuming you haven't done much pvp yet, I'd recommend to look for another colour since it will take you some time to get this rank.
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to reach Legate rank in Alliance War
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coldharbour Black is pretty dark enough for most armor.
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @lolo_01b16_ESO .... it will take quite some time if you havent done much PvPing ... I have only done pvp on one of my characters ( as soon as he reached lvl 15 i went straight to cyrodiil and i havent left there yet ) ... im lvl 48 on that toon now and a Colonel (rank 25) ... still have roughly 14 Alliance war lvls to go myself before getting legate
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.

Too bad I cannot buy it in the Crown Shop.
    "If it looks like a bear, if it feels like a bear, smells and tastes like a bear, then be VERY aware, it could be something ENTIRELY different..."
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think legate somewhere in the 30mio AP range if I remember correctly.
    Takes a while to get that.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • kampori
    kampori
    ✭✭✭
    As phaneub said, Coldharbour Black is a pretty good colour and very easy to get. I use that and Aldmeri or Ayleid gold on almost all armour sets.

And frankly, I'd be happy to have crown store dye unlocks. Maybe not for the hard-to-get ones like Legate Black, as that diminishes the accomplishment. But certainly add in a close variety which one can buy.
    SW:TOR does this with armour dyes. However the price to buy a black/black dye is astronomical.. and one-time use lol. It's ludicrous. But still, a good idea in theory.
    This Is Not Here
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coldharbor ash black is a decent black dye, you can get it by finishing Harborage questline.
    P.S. Im against cash shop unlocks, but more variety in easy to get dyes would be great. Especially for dyes that dont look like vomit.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on April 28, 2016 12:46PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.

Too bad I cannot buy it in the Crown Shop.

or you know you could work for it. its generally what i do if i want something
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thing is, I am a non-PvP'er, thus I am screwed.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, main quest black is actually pretty nice :)
    1HjNwcN.png
    The main problem is that the colors usually look nothing like preview.

PC/EU
  • Nightingale1176
    Koshka is right if the colors looked like how the preview does, a LOT of dyes would look great. Most dyes are either a lot more blue or a lot lighter than pictured. So very few dyes look good.
    Founder - Nightingale Supply Co. YouTube - Nightingale Gaming

Alexxia Aurelia - Stamplar
    Arena Gabrielle - Templar Healer
    Auri-ela - Magic Templar
    Crazy Uncle Sheo - DK Tank/Fire Mage - Retired
    Karliah Riggs - Crafter
    Nocturnal - NB Magic DPS
    Rolex Light-Dweller - Sorc
    Talks-N-Third-Person - NB Stamina DPS - Retired
    Tank Force One - DK Tank
    Valeriya Skoria - v16 DK Fire mage
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use coldharbour black on light and it works really well, but on heavy especially I find it can look grey, and items like bahara's curse light hood looks great in white, but black makes it a sickly looking browny grey colour.

Maybe that's why they don't want us dying costumes yet, it'd end up with some strange stuff....
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    greylox wrote: »
    I use coldharbour black on light and it works really well, but on heavy especially I find it can look grey, and items like bahara's curse light hood looks great in white, but black makes it a sickly looking browny grey colour.

Maybe that's why they don't want us dying costumes yet, it'd end up with some strange stuff....

Its the same with other colors on some styles, like red and black on Trinimac armors.
    I tried almost all black dyes, but the bestI could get was brown or grey.
    Some dyes work better than others though, like Abyssal Beryl or Contraband Violet.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on April 28, 2016 10:42PM

PC/EU
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't a shade of black earned for becoming a vamp? If so, you could become a vamp for 30 seconds, earn the color, and cure yourself.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Isn't a shade of black earned for becoming a vamp? If so, you could become a vamp for 30 seconds, earn the color, and cure yourself.

Except Noxiphilic Black is not black at all, it's gray. Like many of the other "black" colors. Most of the relatively easily obtained dyes are just flatly hideous. And are NOT the colors they say they are. Legate's is the only "true" black in the game and that it's forever locked behind a PvP achievement I will never get is one of my very biggest pet peeves.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Legate Black looks dark glossy blue to me.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just half-ass Battlegrounds a few jillion times, unless you can find some friends who actually make it fun and worth paying attention to. It should get to the point where it's mindless and quick and you won't be encouraging the "forced pvp is good pvp" nonsense.
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy necro batman!
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT-W9HW48qGmH0uSowsSsogiINDWkDnwO-PleDuBqAY4m0SG8oJ
    Edited by LordGavus on December 9, 2019 10:00AM
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even tho I am a PvPer

Still at Brigadier, still at brigadier...

Sigh.

If you can not play it all day every day it takes a while.

Back then I was thinking like you though, I was very unfamilair with PvP and to me it was impossible to reach Legate.

Now I have 4 more levels to go.

Maybe give it a try? Start slowly. Like defend and repair castles, you dont need to kite 40 people a day.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Noxophilic Black

works for me

I havent went Legate Black so I can still got back.
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can play everyday like a 8 hour job, you can get it in a month, if not, then do some math with your avg gameplay hours multiplied by 50k/ hour in prime time following a zerg. ( don't forget the 20% cyro buff from delve.)
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @dtm_samuraib16_ESO You need to earn 30,430,400 AP in PvP to unlock that color.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Alliance_Points

"Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Coldharbour Ash Black is just as dark, you dont need the Legate one.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Coldharbour ash black looks more like a dark brown than a black
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    become a zergling
  • dRudE
    dRudE
    ✭✭✭
    @Darth_Pinhead personally I think your response was childish *shrugs*

Anyway the legate dye has a blue tint to it, on some items it has a shiny black finish, great if you want a dark metal look, on others it looks kind of plasticy.

I don’t agree with putting things like this in the from store though, they are rewards for effort.
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JobooAGS wrote: »
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Coldharbour ash black looks more like a dark brown than a black

I think you may need to adjust your screen color calibration if you think it looks brown.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not consistent, but some costumes dye much better with legate than cold harbour black.

It's like the difference between a flat (cold harbour) finish and a more glossy one (legate). Both are still black.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legate Black is the best black from my experience with black dyes. For the typical player, legate will take several months to achieve.
This discussion has been closed.