The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Help with a new nightblade

Dixa
Dixa
✭✭✭
Admission: played all the betas, have two CE pre order accounts. Never broke vr5.

My first was a sorc, then they got hosed hardcore early on. I lost interest.

Came back last year after f2p. Rolled up stamina nightblade. Stamina hosed. Lost interest. Also a bit squishier than I would like in caldwells silver

Now I would like to just work on something.

I am interested in a magicka nightblade. Just making my current nightblade magicka doesn't appeal to me as she is imperial, and I may want to continue her as is at some point.

So I could use help from the community. Looking for a magicka nightblade build - both a leveling build suggestion and one to use at 50. This is PVE only. I will hit cyrodil at 11 and pick up all of the shards I can but that will be it for pvp on this character.

I am curious as to how it sustains it's magicka bar and what abilities seem to work best as a magicka build for general pve as well as being able to solo most or all of the skull and crossbones world bosses.

Thanks.
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been thinking about running one myself for race Breton or dark elf hme I will go dark elf for d/w and inferno staff. The siphon tree gives you many options to self heal and deal damage. Assassins tree is for gap closers and executes and shadow gives you buffs and debuffs. Depending on how you want to play would guide which skills you take. Ambush for a gap closer,killer blade for a execute mark target for the debuffs and lotus fan for aoe
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can't use lotus fan on stamina.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't use lotus fan on stamina.

The suggestion was for a magika nightblade
  • Etchos
    Etchos
    ✭✭✭
    I had similar problems with my stam nightblade. Even though I have him at VR16 he just seems too squishy and the DPS just isn't where it should be. He was my first character out of the box and as such I think I made some rather bad decisions early on about the build as I was more interested in having fun. But I died...........often. Im doing some work correcting those mistakes and he is slowly getting better.

So I went and created a magblade for fun. Currently level 27 and none of the problems I had first time around (although 200+ champ points are helping). Kitted out with destruction staffs in both slots. Using the destruction staff skill line with mainly siphoning skills.

Killers Blade
    Unstable Wall of Elements
    Destructive Clench
    Swallow Soul
    Path of Darkness
    Soul Tether

The 2 AOE's are really giving me very little to do and once I morph Path of Darkness to the one that gives me a heal I suspect my HP will barely take a dent working through the story missions (I haven't dropped below 50% hp very often).

Experimenting with the other magicka based nightblade abilities that I avoided on the stam based version to.

Most important thing is im having more fun with the magicka version.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's something to get you started:
    forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2757984/#Comment_2757984

If time permits, I will revisit later and tell you how I would change things up a bit. My build isn't much different, but it is different nonetheless. My first suggestion would simply be to switch the ultimates, and replace Soul Tether with Meteor. Meteor should be on your single-target bar to boost your single-target dps. Soul Harvest should be on your off-bar to rack up the ultimate during AoE trash burns.
    Edited by Autolycus on April 28, 2016 6:28PM
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Etchos wrote: »
    I had similar problems with my stam nightblade. Even though I have him at VR16 he just seems too squishy and the DPS just isn't where it should be. He was my first character out of the box and as such I think I made some rather bad decisions early on about the build as I was more interested in having fun. But I died...........often. Im doing some work correcting those mistakes and he is slowly getting better.

So I went and created a magblade for fun. Currently level 27 and none of the problems I had first time around (although 200+ champ points are helping). Kitted out with destruction staffs in both slots. Using the destruction staff skill line with mainly siphoning skills.

Killers Blade
    Unstable Wall of Elements
    Destructive Clench
    Swallow Soul
    Path of Darkness
    Soul Tether

The 2 AOE's are really giving me very little to do and once I morph Path of Darkness to the one that gives me a heal I suspect my HP will barely take a dent working through the story missions (I haven't dropped below 50% hp very often).

Experimenting with the other magicka based nightblade abilities that I avoided on the stam based version to.

Most important thing is im having more fun with the magicka version.

The combo Wall of elements, ref path and sap essence is one of the best for a magiblade in PvE. An absolute mob killer. Throw soul tether or meteor for even better results.

For bosses, you can go ranged or close quarter. Usually I go ranged with swallow sould (or funnel health), merc ressolve, and impale (slots 1 and 2 usually go for utility).

Anyway, what is important at the end is to have fun.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race can depend on what you want to do and how you play, for example my Magicka NB is a dark elf. I felt this was the best option to me as I like to play as a vampire and the fire resistance helps with that, they still get 9% Max Magicka oppose to the best Magicka option which would have 10% (Altmer/Breton) but they also get 6% Max Stamina which I like because I find myself dodge rolling a lot with the way I play.

As for sustaining their resources, Magicka NB are the best in the game in my opinion. Siphoning Attacks is a must have for PvE, every attack has a 15% chance to restore Magicka and stamina; and when you're in the middle of a group casting sap essence it's almost impossible to run out of Magicka.
  • Dixa
    Dixa
    ✭✭✭
    Unless something changes on the PTS, I have already decided that breton is going to be the race mostly for it's reduction in magicka costs racial. both bretons and high elves have the same +max magicka talent.

I am wondering if any of you have taken your magicka nightblade builds onto the pts yet and tried them out? leveling 1-50 is pretty easy even most of the world bosses, but in VR they tend to be a lot nastier and some are not soloable at all for my stamina nightblade, but probably are with a pet/ward sorc on live.
    Edited by Dixa on April 28, 2016 8:19PM
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on console, so I can't play on this pts. But if you only play PvE, it might be worth playing a bit of PvP on your stamina Nightblade just to get the skill Vigor if you haven't already, great for survivability.