The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Blazing Shield Templar Tank Guide (TG Patch)

Gottbeard
Gottbeard
✭✭✭
https://youtu.be/MZDzhIR1tnU

I'm having a lot of fun with this build, especially in pve.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great build man. Although I severely dissagree with your opinions regarding nord. Health regen is very underrated in this current meta for PVP, I have a similar build with 7k buffed health regen in cyrodil. Although I only have 51k health, healing becomes a non issue for me. That's 3.5k health...every second ticking away, combine that with blazing shield...good luck busting my health in PVP. I understand that this is a PVE and PVP build, just consider that you only wearing heavy, you only have 1% more health potential than me...which is not much at all. Not to mention I have 6% damage redux, and 30% health recovery. Don't underestimate the power of the nord. But other than that I am very interested in switching around my build to make mine similar to yours, thanks for the info bud! Lets see some PVP gameplay on it
  • therobster104_ESO
    Do you have a link to the build via something else besides watching the video? Also this mainly a magika build correct?
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw your vid, do you think Baharahs curse set could work in pvp?
    That could be fun and also healing, not sure how strong heals are tho.
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • hydrocynus
    hydrocynus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A guild mate of mine Solo'd vCoA on PTS on a templar tank spamming Blazing shield.
    My internet is invalid
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    EquinoxS wrote: »
    I saw your vid, do you think Baharahs curse set could work in pvp?
    That could be fun and also healing, not sure how strong heals are tho.

Yes I don't see why not. It plugs into the five piece slot pretty easily and you can find it In the right traits easily enough. With the way people clump on you you could actually goad a lot of healing from the set.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey thanks for the build vid, very helpful. Is vampire required? So many dungeons have lots of fire damage or don't you notice? Also is invig drain the main reason bc of its heal?

Sorry more questions lol, have you changed the build? Is the new update going to effect it such as passives, vampire, sets etc?

Thanks for any input.
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    EquinoxS wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the build vid, very helpful. Is vampire required? So many dungeons have lots of fire damage or don't you notice? Also is invig drain the main reason bc of its heal?

Sorry more questions lol, have you changed the build? Is the new update going to effect it such as passives, vampire, sets etc?

Thanks for any input.

No vampire is not required. In fact no vamp allows a permafrost health regeneration side build to be possible.

No you don't notice the fire dmg.

Vamp is there for better regeneration, the heal /ultimate generation of drain, mist form (next patch), Clouding Swarm as a stall ultimate, and extra low health mitigation.

The build won't change for the next patch other than working in mist form to my pvp bar. The 5 piece is very flexible and there are new fun options to play with (the tel var set for example). In many ways the build was buffed greatly next patch.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks for your answer. I created a nord Templar it's vr2 (waiting for update to give v16 gear)... In pvp it's so fun tanking 10+ ppl at once.

I heard that health regen is getting capped? Not sure if true but that high health regen wouldn't work as effective if it happened.

Thanks again for the build I'm really looking forward to trying Baharahs curse set, just hope blazing shield procs it.
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also forgot to ask do you think it's worth getting the vamp ultimate that heals? (Forgot name) or are the heals to low? Cheers.
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    Heals are to low with this build but you could try it.
  • Eas007
    Eas007
    ✭✭✭
    Is alot of mitigation counter productive for BS build? I mean will impen or reinforced make it that your shield blows slower?
    United we stand, divided we fall. Shields as one!
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    Eas007 wrote: »
    Is alot of mitigation counter productive for BS build? I mean will impen or reinforced make it that your shield blows slower?

It depends. Armor and Sr don't affect your blazing Shield, and your Shield can't be crit so impenetrable and reinforced don't decrease damage your Shield takes. So they can be used to make your Hp tanky without preventing your Shield from blowing up fast. But percentage mitigation will protect your Shield and your Hp. This will slow down your blazing Shield but it's not always a bad thing. Sometimes you need your Shield to last a little longer. Low health MIT like vampire and situational MIT like empowering sweep are really good for this because they turn on when you need them.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Beard! I realized this the other day while playing around with your build. Soul assault slotted on your main defense bar, when you drop below 20% health you get to proc soul shatter passive, it SCALES FROM HEALTH. meaning when you drop to 20% health you deal massive AOE, for me it crits over 10k. In cyrodil...I use aggressive war horn on my off, with soul assault on main defense bar and it helps me DPS large raids, chase if it procs right along with a blazing hit, it kills quite a few people. Also playing with the idea of titan set for a knockdown at 20%.
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    Hey Beard! I realized this the other day while playing around with your build. Soul assault slotted on your main defense bar, when you drop below 20% health you get to proc soul shatter passive, it SCALES FROM HEALTH. meaning when you drop to 20% health you deal massive AOE, for me it crits over 10k. In cyrodil...I use aggressive war horn on my off, with soul assault on main defense bar and it helps me DPS large raids, chase if it procs right along with a blazing hit, it kills quite a few people. Also playing with the idea of titan set for a knockdown at 20%.

That is actually something I looked at and passed on without trying it out. I love feedback like this. Good eye.
  • Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭
    I've been considering this a lot lately after seeing its performance in PVP, then chanced upon this guide earlier on today (haven't checked these forums before really.) So I'm deciding to give it a go.

My main concern is how it performs in PVP with this particular setup. The lack of magicka and focus purely on 60k+ health, and having under 2k magicka recovery to compensate..how did this translate into survivability and sustainability in a PVP fight? I've been witnessing some BS templars taking on 3-4 players at a time purely by bursting them down with BS, is this build capable of doing so or is it a matter of when you're on the floor you're going to get nuked? Can you sustain a consistent spam level of BS?

These are the main issues I've been considering when thinking about trying this build out. I might personally tweak it myself and settle for 55k or so max health, but higher magicka/magicka recovery. Depending on your answers and experiences in PVP.
    The name is Snape. Full time Banana fighting for his Queen and Country. Favourite hobby; killing the cowardly Covenant and Pact infidels threat.

Predominantly PVP based player running various characters. Mostly Magicka Templar, Magicka Sorcerer and Stamina Templar.

Proud Right-Hand Man of The Saints Knights and Sergeant-At-Arms of The Yellow Army.
  • ad4mss
    ad4mss
    ✭✭✭
    Leveling a templar in progress. Really good looking build. Hopefully it won't be broken in DB patch.
    Whisper me in any case @ad4mss
    Follow me on Twitter @JAdamczewski
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    Snape2255 wrote: »
    I've been considering this a lot lately after seeing its performance in PVP, then chanced upon this guide earlier on today (haven't checked these forums before really.) So I'm deciding to give it a go.

My main concern is how it performs in PVP with this particular setup. The lack of magicka and focus purely on 60k+ health, and having under 2k magicka recovery to compensate..how did this translate into survivability and sustainability in a PVP fight? I've been witnessing some BS templars taking on 3-4 players at a time purely by bursting them down with BS, is this build capable of doing so or is it a matter of when you're on the floor you're going to get nuked? Can you sustain a consistent spam level of BS?

These are the main issues I've been considering when thinking about trying this build out. I might personally tweak it myself and settle for 55k or so max health, but higher magicka/magicka recovery. Depending on your answers and experiences in PVP.

It performs well in pvp. It is very tanky. I can sustain a consistent cast rate for sun Shield. The only downsides are the ones addressed in the video. You set up the kills perfectly but personally can't close out kills well.

My regeneration on live is 2500 ish. Zenimax stripped my mundus and I hadn't put it back on for the video.

Having said all that. Here are some thresholds if you do decide to deviate.

50khp is around where blazing Shield starts to become a good defensive move.

60k Hp is around where it starts to do threatening damage.

1800 magicka regeneration is the minimum regeneration for the build to function. 2200 is where it starts to get easier to play. 3k effective magicka regeneration is the overkill, magicka is no issue marker.
  • Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭
    Gottbeard wrote: »
    It performs well in pvp. It is very tanky. I can sustain a consistent cast rate for sun Shield. The only downsides are the ones addressed in the video. You set up the kills perfectly but personally can't close out kills well.

My regeneration on live is 2500 ish. Zenimax stripped my mundus and I hadn't put it back on for the video.

1800 magicka regeneration is the minimum regeneration for the build to function. 2200 is where it starts to get easier to play. 3k effective magicka regeneration is the overkill, magicka is no issue marker.

Thanks for the info, and that's some decent regen then in that case. If I can land a minimum of 2.2k Regen and 60k Health I'd be happy. It would take awhile to get undaunted passives though as I'm not a huge PVE'er.

I'll see what I can sort out and let you know how it turns out. Currently made a new Templar for this build, level 7 atm. I'll see if I can grind up to Sun Shield and then get a set sorted in the meantime.

Out of interest what food do you run? Wrothgar Magicka?
    The name is Snape. Full time Banana fighting for his Queen and Country. Favourite hobby; killing the cowardly Covenant and Pact infidels threat.

Predominantly PVP based player running various characters. Mostly Magicka Templar, Magicka Sorcerer and Stamina Templar.

Proud Right-Hand Man of The Saints Knights and Sergeant-At-Arms of The Yellow Army.
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info, and that's some decent regen then in that case. If I can land a minimum of 2.2k Regen and 60k Health I'd be happy. It would take awhile to get undaunted passives though as I'm not a huge PVE'er.

I'll see what I can sort out and let you know how it turns out. Currently made a new Templar for this build, level 7 atm. I'll see if I can grind up to Sun Shield and then get a set sorted in the meantime.

Out of interest what food do you run? Wrothgar Magicka?

A good tip for undaunted grinding is to try and hitch a ride on the weekly trial. Trial achievements are an easy way to get a head start on the grind to undaunted 9 and most of the lower trials have suffered from power creep enough that people are looking for warm bodies to fill out their weekly runs.

I run ozorgas, yes. Health and magicka regeneration. Gold is an option too but expensive.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to do this on a breton and my max hp is low. 46k unbuffed. I'm using shalidors curse 5 piece, blood spawn, a monster helm with max hp, 3 pieces fasallas, 2 endurance. I have not had an issue with tanking any vet dungeon, most of them with it heals. Actually it's normally 3 dps and me. I switch to lingering ritual on a flex spot sometimes too.

Wondering if you think i should switch to war horn. I use cresent sweep and practices incantation.

All magic regen on jewellery, full health stats.

Was also thinking of going resto n back bar to get that siphoning skill. Any advice bc iv plan on doing trials next week.

I am a vampire too.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another question, does miss l mist form mitigate all damage, or are some boss mechanics UN mitigated. Also, does mist forms mitigation and the passive for vampires that reduces damage stack? Multiplicatively right?
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    Another question, does miss l mist form mitigate all damage, or are some boss mechanics UN mitigated. Also, does mist forms mitigation and the passive for vampires that reduces damage stack? Multiplicatively right?

Yes warhorn. It is your best ultimate option and your team mates will love it.

Mist mitigates all dmg and stacks multiplicative with vamp Dr.
    Additive would be OP.

• Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭
    Just going to leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kO0jqGRQOg

We were both about level 40 in this clip. Had about 60k max health and about 2.2k recovery.

As you can see, this is showcasing this build (but an incomplete version without all the gear or skills).

I'm actually not using Fassalla's Guile in this either since I only have an entire set for v16, so I'm using Death's Wind for the double health stack.

Hope you like it, great build Gottbeard!

• Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    Just going to leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kO0jqGRQOg

We were both about level 40 in this clip. Had about 60k max health and about 2.2k recovery.

As you can see, this is showcasing this build (but an incomplete version without all the gear or skills).

I'm actually not using Fassalla's Guile in this either since I only have an entire set for v16, so I'm using Death's Wind for the double health stack.

Hope you like it, great build Gottbeard!

Love seeing stuff like this. Good job. Love seeing the heavy atk weaves and patience. Good job controlling the fight.
  • Jam
    Jam
    ✭✭✭
    Here my blazing shield templar build, I think for sustain, it's better in cyrodiil.

1465211631-1463943105-screenshot-20160522-204709.png

Sorry for the french langage.

5 Fasalla = 2 max health enchant + 2 reduce magika cost enchant + give back magika when hit on the two swords
    5 Seducer = 5 health enchant
    2 Transmutation = 1 health enchant + 1 regen magika enchant

I'm imperial.
    IG : @PerfectJam PC/EU/1400+CP
    EU
    • Jam Lamia - (m)Templar Breton - AVA rank 41 - AD
    • Jam Elia - (s)Templar Imperial - AVA rank 31 - AD
    • Jam Siya - (m)Sorcerer Altmer - AVA rank 28 - AD
    • Jam Niera - (s)NB Woodelf - AVA rank 28 - AD
    • Jam Meloa - (m)DK Breton - AVA rank 37 - AD
    • Jam the Zerger - (m)Templar Breton - AVA rank 22 - DC
    • Jam's Karmacoma - (s)DK Redguard - AVA rank 30 - AD
    • Get Jammed - (m)Sorcerer Altmer - AVA rank 23 - EP
    • Jam the Stormelade - (s)Sorcerer Orc - AVA rank 19 - AD
    • J A M - (m)NB Altmer - AVA rank lel - DC
    • Jam the Undead Marmelade - (s)Necro Nord - AVA rank lul - AD
    • Jam the Apparatchik - (m)Warden Breton- AVA rank lul - AD
    • I wanna Jammin with You - (m)Templar Breton - AVA rank lol - EP
    ---
    NA
    • Jam the Marmelade - (m)DK Dunmer - CP160+ - EP
    • Perfect Jam - (m)Sorcerer Altmer - One day... - EP
    ---
    Guilds
    • AWAWAWAWAR - Did you see the goblins ?
    • AoE Rats - 8 men's group
    • Noricum and KiteSquad - Don't forget to stand up for small scale PvP !
    • Former raid leader of French Coq (RIP) - YouTube
    PS : If I sum all my chars...
  • sekou_trayvond
    sekou_trayvond
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this build.

I hue pretty close to what Gottbeard outlines here.

My only real change was when I got to Undaunted 9, I swapped in blue health/stam food for straight health.

Now I have 16k stam, 11k mag and 54k health.

Originally constructed, I was struggling with the stam pool for blocking and such. Basically, I wasn't consistent with my heavy attacks. I fully note that this is a me problem and not a negative of the build. In the end, I prefer to light attack constantly to generate ult for warhorning or Nova.

Have zero magicka pool problems.

Only minor problem I have with build is lack of range- no staff. In cases where some range is helpful I utilize Vamp Bane and/or RD.

No toon I roll with has engendered as many queries as this one. It's a really fun odd duck.

• Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭
    Love seeing stuff like this. Good job. Love seeing the heavy atk weaves and patience. Good job controlling the fight.

Cheers man, I've really been enjoying it. I've noticed that, in its current stage of development at least, it's a tad redundant when facing 10+ enemies. Perhaps this will improve when I finish the character off. However in small-to-mid scale PVP it excels. As long as you're not getting spammed with Wrecking Blow whilst another is spamming Radiant Destruction it seems to hold its own perfectly fine.

Despite being only about level 40 odd I've been tanking, and therefore killing, groups of 3-4 players at a time. Plus when we ran a 5-6 man group in the sewers we were taking on teams of 10+ with me standing at the front and the rest of the team supporting and DPSing around me.

The only issue I have encountered so far is stamina when it comes to facing CC spammers (WB etc.) and self-healing. Healing is one of my biggest issues due to my primary heal, currently, being Absorb Magicka (which is a stamina skill, and stamina isn't necessarily easy to come by, and spam, against a lot of players).

What are your suggestions for this? Will it fix itself when I get Purifying Ritual etc.?

Either way I've been in a lot of situations where I've simply out-lasted players or made them kill themselves. One of my favourites was, although I did die, 10+ Blues appeared in front of my in the sewers, I popped a CC pot and started spamming shield whilst I had sorcs hitting me from afar and about 5-6 nightblades jump on top of me. Although I did die, 2-3 of the NBs dropped almost instantly from the shield spam. Great fun.

• The_Legendary_Arya
    Healing with a BS build is in my opinion only possible with 2 sources-either use Drain from Vamp or, which is better, push Health regen aswell as Max HP and Mag Regen with Sets and co.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orgmums scales can help alot...but it does NOT help very much when facing HIGH damage oponents...ive tried it, at one point I was pushing 53k health and 7k health regen buffed. It still just wasn't cutting it...
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭

Cheers man, I've really been enjoying it. I've noticed that, in its current stage of development at least, it's a tad redundant when facing 10+ enemies. Perhaps this will improve when I finish the character off. However in small-to-mid scale PVP it excels. As long as you're not getting spammed with Wrecking Blow whilst another is spamming Radiant Destruction it seems to hold its own perfectly fine.

Despite being only about level 40 odd I've been tanking, and therefore killing, groups of 3-4 players at a time. Plus when we ran a 5-6 man group in the sewers we were taking on teams of 10+ with me standing at the front and the rest of the team supporting and DPSing around me.

The only issue I have encountered so far is stamina when it comes to facing CC spammers (WB etc.) and self-healing. Healing is one of my biggest issues due to my primary heal, currently, being Absorb Magicka (which is a stamina skill, and stamina isn't necessarily easy to come by, and spam, against a lot of players).

What are your suggestions for this? Will it fix itself when I get Purifying Ritual etc.?

Either way I've been in a lot of situations where I've simply out-lasted players or made them kill themselves. One of my favourites was, although I did die, 10+ Blues appeared in front of my in the sewers, I popped a CC pot and started spamming shield whilst I had sorcs hitting me from afar and about 5-6 nightblades jump on top of me. Although I did die, 2-3 of the NBs dropped almost instantly from the shield spam. Great fun.

Yes sure man. I can help with that. From your video I was noticing that you protect your full health bar from damage and then try to recover once it dips. Your health bar is a useful tool. Don't be afraid to bait with it. At 50 percent life you are at Normal tank Hp. This becomes extremely important when you get invigorating drain, a missing health based heal. Extended ritual will help a little too. For more results from absorb magick don't spam it. Weave heavy into blaze into heavy into absorb rinse repeat in your stall phase. Use aggression to break enemies offense when you predict you will need a respite. Example, let a shield get eaten a little bit then Shield charge and manually blow it up to side swipe a group and make them wiggle away. These kinds of bluffs will buy time for stat recoup.