The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

What determines light/heavy attack damage

Lynx7386
Lynx7386
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
For melee weapons, is it just based on weapon damage or does stamina factor into basic attacks?
PS4 / NA
M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina + wpn dmg.

I assume it's the same as every other dmg scaling in the game
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From what I heard and asked around.

Light and heavy attacks are effected by...

Weapon/spell damage
    Resources
    melee weapon expert/staff expert/bow expert
    Piercing/spell erosion
    mighty/ and well I don't know about elemental expert or blessed and their effects on destruction staffs and restoration staffs.
    Edited by Forestd16b14_ESO on April 19, 2016 8:02PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's different for each, the precise numbers.

For example, all are based on damage and resource, however Restoration Staff is based on both magicka and spell damage, but scales more to spell damage.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ask because I"m trying to create a somewhat hybrid-style build for my khajiit dragonknight, using 5 light / 2 medium, igneous weapons (for sorcery and brutality), flames of oblivion (for the weapon and spell crit), and dual wield. All of my abilities are magicka, but I want to get the most out of the dual swords as possible.
    PS4 / NA
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    I ask because I"m trying to create a somewhat hybrid-style build for my khajiit dragonknight, using 5 light / 2 medium, igneous weapons (for sorcery and brutality), flames of oblivion (for the weapon and spell crit), and dual wield. All of my abilities are magicka, but I want to get the most out of the dual swords as possible.

You listed the DK skills. I'll give you some other class alternatives to consider.

Sorcs can get a +Stamina and +11% heavy attack damage from Bound Armaments. They also get +Wpn damage from stacking Sorc skills on the bar (they can actually exceed the amount of templar balanced warrior pretty easily). Activating Surge can allow for better crits as well.

Templars can get +6% weapon damage from Balanced Warrior Passive. There's also a crit bonus in another passive.

NB's can get crit bonuses from their assassin skill line.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already have a templar and nightblade, and I have no interest on sorc.
    PS4 / NA
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im going to assume that the LA and HA of each weapon scales for to the damage side.

Staff will scale more to Spell Damage and Swords etc will scale to Weapon Damage more.

The exact ratio is not widely known.

Just to try and answer your question
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im going to assume that the LA and HA of each weapon scales for to the damage side.

Staff will scale more to Spell Damage and Swords etc will scale to Weapon Damage more.

I actually calculated the skill coefficients for most light/heavy attacks recently. You can find them here.

The equations for light/heavy attack are roughly:
    Light Attack = 0.014537 Stat + 0.5796 Power - 0.59619   (Ratio = 40)
    Heavy Attack = 0.055076 Stat + 2.1998 Power - 1.27439   (Ratio = 40)

Where "Stat" is Stamina for Physical weapons and Magicka for staffs and "Power" is likewise Weapon/Spell damage. The skill coefficient ratio is 40 which means that LA/HA depend more strongly on the Weapon/Spell damage than Stamina/Magicka than most skills (typical ratio of 10.5).
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭

I actually calculated the skill coefficients for most light/heavy attacks recently. You can find them here.

Where "Stat" is Stamina for Physical weapons and Magicka for staffs and "Power" is likewise Weapon/Spell damage. The skill coefficient ratio is 40 which means that LA/HA depend more strongly on the Weapon/Spell damage than Stamina/Magicka than most skills (typical ratio of 10.5).

@Reorx_Holybeard Wow, great job on the skills tracker

I'm trying to follow on this but I am not sure I understand with the 40 ratio of Heavy Attacks.

Could you show me the math on calculating my fully charged heavy attack tooltip damage if I had 30,000 Max Stam, and 3000 Weapon Damage (using a bow)?

Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    .055076(30000) + 2.1998(3000) - 1.27439

16522.8 + 6599.4 - 1.27439 - 1.27439

23153.2 - 1.27439
    23150.92561(.4)?

= 9260.370244

Is that correct?
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Acsvf
    Acsvf
    ✭✭✭

23153.2 - 1.27439
    23150.92561(.4)?

= 9260.370244

Is that correct?
    No. Copy and paste your first equation(correct, by the way) into a calculator, and you'll get ~8250.

The ratio isn't actually used in the calculation. It is a value gotten from PowerCoefficient/StatCoefficient, to show how important wep/spell power is in the calculation versus maximum stamina/magicka.
    I'm trying to follow on this but I am not sure I understand with the 40 ratio of Heavy Attacks.
    Essentially it means that weapon and spell power are 4 times as important as maximum stamina and magicka.
    @LightArray
    Lightarray Level 50 Dunmer Magicka Templar Healer

CP: 192

Add @Acsvf when quoting me to give me a notification!
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acsvf wrote: »

23153.2 - 1.27439
    23150.92561(.4)?

= 9260.370244

Is that correct?
    No. Copy and paste your first equation(correct, by the way) into a calculator, and you'll get ~8250.

The ratio isn't actually used in the calculation. It is a value gotten from PowerCoefficient/StatCoefficient, to show how important wep/spell power is in the calculation versus maximum stamina/magicka.
    Essentially it means that weapon and spell power are 4 times as important as maximum stamina and magicka.

Oh ok, lol im on my phone, was doin it in my head no copy and paste, so very informative!
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Reorx_Holybeard Wow, great job on the skills tracker

Could you show me the math on calculating my fully charged heavy attack tooltip damage if I had 30,000 Max Stam, and 3000 Weapon Damage (using a bow)?

The "40" ratio is obtained by taking the first two coefficients and dividing: so 0.5796/0.014537 = 39.87

All this means is how important Magicka/Stamina is compared to Spell/Weapon Damage. In this case damage has 40 times greater effect than the stat. Or in other words, 1 point of Weapon Damage results in the same damage increase in Heavy Attack as 40 points of Stamina./=
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Acsvf
    Acsvf
    ✭✭✭
    The "40" ratio is obtained by taking the first two coefficients and dividing: so 0.5796/0.014537 = 39.87

Wait, first two?
    Edited by Acsvf on June 15, 2016 1:19PM
    @LightArray
    Lightarray Level 50 Dunmer Magicka Templar Healer

CP: 192

Add @Acsvf when quoting me to give me a notification!