The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

New to Tanking, please help

olivaresdonjuan
***Calling all PvE tanks*** I am done with the current state of pvp so I've decided to re-roll my nord stamina dps dk into a meat shield for the pve dungeons and undaunted dailies. i want to participate in pve because I've missed out on it since day one. So can you guys share your tanking builds, skills, armor sets, and mindset with this scrub.
Edited by olivaresdonjuan on April 16, 2016 3:56AM
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • olivaresdonjuan
    Thank you so much, hopefully they'll help.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate the call out and love to help, but my knowledge of tanking isn't the best and what I do know is more about magicka themed tanks.

I heard from a little birdie that the next patch will improve heavy armor, so I'd probably hold off on investing my best mats until then.

What I would do as a stamina DK tank though is run the new armor set, Tava's Blessing I think it's called, that grants ultimate and absolutely make sure Shuffle is on my bar. That's really good a synergistic option. Footman's, although a VR14 set, is a good other 5 piece to match this up as it has jewelry and can be bought as it is a BoE set. Also as a stam tank, you absolutely should have the low-slash ability (I think that's what it's called) that puts a 15% damage debuff on enemies and if you used to PvP, you might have had Ransack morph, which you should change to Pierce Armor.

If I write anymore, might lead you astray so I'll stop here and let more experienced tanks give out the details :smile:
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm totally willing to help! I tank on a NB though, so I do things a little bit differently. Rather than reinventing the wheel though, I think it's best to start here. This is the setup I would currently recommend, it's used by my main trials tank (and I have a very similar trials setup using Tava's), and there is a lot of information on this thread that will help you get a better understanding of how to min/max as a tank. ESO unfortunately does not do a great job of spelling out how mitigation works in this game, so hopefully you find it helpful. Let me know what you think and tag me for any specific questions; I'm more than happy to help.

forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/254916/ultimate-tank-build/p1
    Edited by Autolycus on April 18, 2016 7:00PM
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Could help you out if you have teamspeak. Just hit me with a pm.
    Edited by Woeler on April 17, 2016 3:50AM
  • jzholloway
    jzholloway
    ✭✭✭
    5 piece Footmans + 5 piece Armor Master or Histbark

If Armor Master run Shuffle (morph of Evasion), if Histbark, leave off
    Have a stam taunt (pierce armor) and a magika taunt (inner fire)
    Have a stam heal (vigor) and a magika heal (coagulating blood)
    Choking Talons for crowd control
    Igneous Weapons (for weapon/spell buff) unless someone else is running it
    Hardened Armor and Igneous Shield
    Heroic Slash for extra ultimate

Personally, i haven't tried out Tava's yet, going to. I am running Blood Spawn (helm and shoulders), though Engine Guardian is good - especially if you aren't gaining Ultimates fast enough to help with resources.

Buff - Taunt - CC - Repeat - Heal when needed

Use stam taunt most of the time, use magika taunt when range is needed on boss or to pull enemies from far away.
    Remember to rebuff as needed one time on each runs out
    PC/NA
  • jzholloway
    jzholloway
    ✭✭✭
    One more thing - I run all of my ability points into stamina, but my CP is set up for magika - i.e. reduced cost and recovery.

https://jzhgaming.wordpress.com/elder-scrolls-online/stamina-dragonknight-tankdps-hybrid/

I haven't updated the gear on the link yet, but the CP is spot on. If you need a little more DPS, run shield bash and put CP into Mighty (bout 30 points)

Also, ignore the hybrid part in the link :)
    Edited by jzholloway on April 18, 2016 7:20PM
    PC/NA
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jzholloway wrote: »

Personally, i haven't tried out Tava's yet, going to. I am running Blood Spawn (helm and shoulders), though Engine Guardian is good - especially if you aren't gaining Ultimates fast enough to help with resources.

Use stam taunt most of the time, use magika taunt when range is needed on boss or to pull enemies from far away.

I think this is pretty much on the money. I love Footmans, wish they'd bring it up to V16.

Also looking forward trying out Tava's.

I personally prefer EG over BS. But either of them are nothing to sneeze at.

I don't mind Whitestrakes either but it isn't for everybody.
    Edited by MattT1988 on April 27, 2016 7:01AM
  • olivaresdonjuan
    I think this new patch is going to kill the way we tank.
  • jzholloway
    jzholloway
    ✭✭✭
    MattT1988 wrote: »

I think this is pretty much on the money. I love Footmans, wish they'd bring it up to V16.

I love Tava's so far... but got *** by Manticore on Sanctum... this will be a forum topic
    PC/NA
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MattT1988 wrote: »

I love Tava's so far... but got *** by Manticore on Sanctum... this will be a forum topic

You reckon you'll stick with it?