Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

About Nords (Accents, Mages, Names, and Heights throughout the games)

BlackWormDisciple
Hey again everyone.

So - I thought I'd ask some more questions, about the Nords this time throughout the games - and I'd like to get your opinions and insights on three certain topics concerning the Sons and Daughters of Skyrim. Again, looking forward to reading your answers - and feel free to check out and give your insights regarding my other topics here in this forum.

So, first question, I'll start off by saying this - Nords tend to have a distinct accent when compared to the Imperials and Bretons, at least when you look at a typical member of these three races of Man. However, there have been Nords in this game, as well as Skyrim (Oblivion and Morrowind don't count due to the fact both games had only one male and one female voice actor for Nords at the time) who displayed accents that sound different from the 'typical' Nordic accent (think Ralof's in Skyrim). There are some who sound, forgive me if I'm uncorrect here, a tad Scottish (such as Brynjolf, again, from Skyrim) and others who seem to lack an accent altogether (another Skyrim example, Onmund at the College of Winterhold). Is there an explanation (aside from the voice-actors chosen for NPCs :P ) for Nords born and raised in Skyrim that lack an accent, or have a accent that is either less prominent or even very different compared to the 'typical' accent of Nords? Odd as this may sound, the thought of Nords without the typical accent yet were born and raised in their native province is interesting.

Question two - I know that Nords are considered the tallest (generally) of the human races, but is there a specified range of height for each race lore-wise? Anything that mentions the shortest height a Nord male or female can be or the tallest a Bosmer male or female can be for example? If so, any idea what the height range for Nords (both genders) are?

Question three, I'll just make this simple - are there any Nord names throughout any of the games from Morrowind to ESO that are neither real-world examples of Scandinavian/Icelandic/etc. names nor are they variations of said real-world names?

The fourth and final question is probably going to be the most interesting out of four (sorry if the first two were boring at all, but it's genuine curiosity on my part :P ). This will also be one I'll go into the most depth with. Nords tend to dislike or ignore magic (in the 4th Era, we know many HATE magic, not all though - and they respect Restoration), but we also know that magic is part of Nordic history as well. Winterhold and Shalidor (a powerful, respected, and all around beast of a NORD mage), the Dragon Cult, the Thu'um, Tongues, and Greybeards, even many of the Worm Cultists in ESO being Nords - but is there anything else in the lore that mentions Nords and use of magic? Anything that mentions Nordic Mages, Battlemages, Sorcerers (not the ESO version but the original class that was a conjurer/armored mage/magicka battery), or Necromancers? Regarding that last class, I know that book from Oblivion and Skyrim (The Exodus) mentions a Nord couple who are both Necromancers, Nords being in the Worm Cult in the 2nd Era, and that the Dragon Priests of old made use of it it seems, but is there anything else regarding Nord Necromancers? In addition, how would a Nord mage/battlemage/sorcerer/magic-user see themselves if they take into account Shalidor's high standards of what a mage was - seeing as he was highly against commoners using magic which may have had an impact on just how many Nord mages there are after the 1st Era, and set the bar pretty high as well for all future mages?
Edited by BlackWormDisciple on April 16, 2016 1:04AM
  • BlackWormDisciple
    Anyone?
  • BlackWormDisciple
    Is there anyone at all who's willing to share either their lore findings/knowledge or their opinions or advice on this subject?
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the problem you are running into with these questions is that you are asking for very specific things that people probably cannot tell you, for the most part. Bethesda is very general about their race cultures, especially the humans, leaving people to speculate, wonder, and sometimes even criticize when they do not seem to be consistent from game to game. As such we know Nords are not known for being great mages, as a race, yet we have Shalidor, who is one of the greatest mages. Names are not consistent from game to game, yet we generally get a Scandinavian feel.
    What I am saying is that in all the things you are asking, no one can be specific. These are very hard questions that it doesn't seem Bethesda even answers.
    Is there anyone at all who's willing to share either their lore findings/knowledge or their opinions or advice on this subject?

I have found that the lore is used to give you a feel for the area/culture/times/etc, but not meant to hold you specifically to anything.
    Of course someone may have a better take on these things, and for the most part, I wanted you to know you are not being ignored, I just do not know if anyone can really answer these questions. Sorry.

"Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
    "Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • BlackWormDisciple
    Krist wrote: »
    I think the problem you are running into with these questions is that you are asking for very specific things that people probably cannot tell you, for the most part. Bethesda is very general about their race cultures, especially the humans, leaving people to speculate, wonder, and sometimes even criticize when they do not seem to be consistent from game to game. As such we know Nords are not known for being great mages, as a race, yet we have Shalidor, who is one of the greatest mages. Names are not consistent from game to game, yet we generally get a Scandinavian feel.
    What I am saying is that in all the things you are asking, no one can be specific. These are very hard questions that it doesn't seem Bethesda even answers.

I have found that the lore is used to give you a feel for the area/culture/times/etc, but not meant to hold you specifically to anything.
    Of course someone may have a better take on these things, and for the most part, I wanted you to know you are not being ignored, I just do not know if anyone can really answer these questions. Sorry.

No, no - don't apologize. I suppose you're right.
  • joker0137
    joker0137
    ✭✭✭
    Olaf
    Just A White Line Nightmare

PS4 EU server