Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Help With Leveling Crafts

Sheepski
Sheepski
✭✭
Hi everyone,

Fresh player to the game so go easy on me!

I've never been heavily interested in crafting in other MMOs, but I usually pick up potion/food/consumable type crafts. So I got Alchemy and Provisioning.

I get the basic idea of leveling them both and I've read numerous guides. But I'm not one to really go straight to experimenting; I usually see crafting as a means to an end rather than something to delve into.

So what I'm wondering is if there's an actual guide that details what I should be crafting to level up? You know, 50x basic health potion, then 50x slightly better health potion etc all the way to max?

This is especially important to me for Provisioning - as recipes are kinda random drops, and food is rapidly taking up my bank space. I'd appreciate if there was a "buy this recipe from this vendor, craft it 50 times" type process to level it.

With that type of information I can then get into the "collect all recipes" "find all traits" type playstyle later on while still being able to craft stuff that I need as I go.

So far the only thing I've found is a list of recipes/potions for eg: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Alchemy_Recipes which is tedious to go through every time I have some stuff to craft with (I even tried an add on, but it doesn't seem to work - out dated or something).

Thanks for any help.
PC - EU - EP

Lladwr - Khajiit expert thief (also part time Nightblade)

Gwifr - Nord meat shield and Knight of the Round Dragon

Daflia - Daedric Prince of Silly Walks

Darian Drith - Templar healer with his undead posse
  • Mcwoods55
    Mcwoods55
    ✭✭✭
    do your own thing. I'd recommend fishy sticks for lvl 1-5 or 10. Just buy some fish and make away..

I just always used the highest lvl recipe I could and leveled it up. Took about 25K for mats from traders and an hour of my time to go from 1 to 50.
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are on PC there are add-ons for each that make it waaaay easier, especially alchemy. Someone will probably chime in.

I honestly never crafted anything more than what I needed to use while leveling and never really felt behind. They are both easy to do as you go along to worry about mass producing specific recipes at certain tiers, like you do in other games like WOW.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • Sheepski
    Sheepski
    ✭✭
    emily3989 wrote: »
    If you are on PC there are add-ons for each that make it waaaay easier, especially alchemy. Someone will probably chime in.

I honestly never crafted anything more than what I needed to use while leveling and never really felt behind. They are both easy to do as you go along to worry about mass producing specific recipes at certain tiers, like you do in other games like WOW.

Yeah I guess the only other crafting I've done was in Rift, where it was very much like I describe. I'm doing ok as I go along - but I don't really like constantly going to the station and seeing if I can craft something, and having bank storage issues with all the food - would be nice to know "ok I only need to gather tomatoes and yeast, not all the other stuff!" :smiley:

I did try an add on for Alchemy but didn't really do anything, so I assumed it wasn't working due to being out of date. Maybe I got the wrong one?
    PC - EU - EP

• emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot look at what I am using, but it basically tells you which potions you can use and what they make, so you don't waste a ton of resources failing.

Also, you know that anything in the bank is auto accessed while crafting so you don't have to have it on your person, might help.

Initially, holding onto ingredients is a huge space issue, the food addon I have shows you what recipes use the ingredient when you mouse over it, kind of helpful.

Potion Maker maybe?
    Sous Chef for provisioning
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • Sheepski
    Sheepski
    ✭✭
    emily3989 wrote: »
    I cannot look at what I am using, but it basically tells you which potions you can use and what they make, so you don't waste a ton of resources failing.

Also, you know that anything in the bank is auto accessed while crafting so you don't have to have it on your person, might help.

Initially, holding onto ingredients is a huge space issue, the food addon I have shows you what recipes use the ingredient when you mouse over it, kind of helpful.

Potion Maker maybe?
    Sous Chef for provisioning

I've tried Potion Maker and Alchemist and all I get are errors when I open the craft table :/ They look like they'd do exactly what I need, however, if I can get them to work
    PC - EU - EP

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy and Provisioning are not the crafts to worry about for leveling. You can level them to 50 in less than an hour, and most of that time will be buying ingredients from a guild store.

Also, there is no real reason to outlevel your character with crafting, as it is not a paying profession for the most part. You only need to make what you can use.

One thing to keep in mind, as a low level character, while you can level crafting to max early on, your not going to have the skill points to flesh out the crafting lines until your near or in the Vet Ranks.

Edited by Nestor on April 14, 2016 10:42PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"