Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Just made my 2nd character, need help Provisioning

NBAballar18
NBAballar18
✭✭
Hey, I just made my 2nd character and he's a sorcerer. So I want to do Provisioning and Enchanting with him. I'm not sure how to get started with provisioning, I'm level 7 so that's probably best time to start. Can anyone give me advice.

Thank you
  • Mcwoods55
    Mcwoods55
    ✭✭✭
    Simple find a recipe like fishy sticks go buy fish from trader make and repeat....

I spent about 25k and went from lvl 5-50 but I had the recipes already.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I just made my 2nd character and he's a sorcerer. So I want to do Provisioning and Enchanting with him. I'm not sure how to get started with provisioning, I'm level 7 so that's probably best time to start. Can anyone give me advice.

Thank you

Provisioning is easy to level. Just find some recipes, and some ingredients and make the items. Note, sell these to NPC Vendors and you can even make money, although the passives that give more portions per operation are needed to profit from this.

Fishy Sticks mentioned above are great to grind on as Fish is cheap to buy in the Guild Stores. Like 100 Gold for a 100 stack cheap.

Writs are a great source of ingredients and recipes. You can buy the recipes needed for writs in Guild Stores or from Chef or Brewer NPCs, so no need to search long and hard for those recipes. Hirelings are a good source of ingredients. Note, you will find more rare Blue and Purple recipes with Writs than just farming boxes, so it is a good source for those whether you sell them in a Guild Store, or you just learn them yourself.

Something else, you can also level Legerdemain at the same time. Steal Provisioning Ingredients, then Launder them, you gain Legerdemain from Laundering activities. Note, you don't have to launder an ingredient to use it at a cooking fire, but if you want to bank them, then you do.
    Edited by Nestor on April 13, 2016 2:53PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are four recipes I know of that when used sequentially, bring you to 50 with room to spare.

Red hippocras, Athlete's grog, Neried wine, and shimerene tonic.

You can go on websites that have lists of recipes and try to find food or drink that are the same level as these, and that will work. On the whole though, drink is cheaper for mats.

Just get mats from stores, same with recipes.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    On the whole though, drink is cheaper for mats.

Just get mats from stores, same with recipes.

Yes, Drinks are not as popular with the players, hence the ingredients are easier to find.

When you say stores, you do mean guild stores, right? NPC Vendors sell Ingredients at 150 gold each. Ouch. Guild Kiosks are where you buy Ingredients if your not going to farm them.

• Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve leveled provisioning to 50 on several characters quite quickly. It goes faster the higher the level recipe you craft, however if you haven’t got skill points to unlock new tiers yet you can still do decently well just using level 15 recipes. Personally I found investing points in how many portions I make each time to be more worthwhile while leveling (for the income) than increasing the level recipes I could use - the second tier of recipes moves you along quite well.

You can probably find green recipes for around 30 gold in guild traders, though the ones used for crafting writs often cost a good deal more, though you are supposed to be able to buy some of those from NPCs now too. And don’t bother leveling with Blue recipes unless you really have a lot of ingredients laying around.

Drinks are easier to farm ingredients for in my experience, pretty much go to any Mine type delve and loot all the crates, barrels and sacks, there are usually lots of them in mines. Once your inventory is full, go back to town and craft as many drinks (or food) as you can starting from the highest recipes you have. But I wouldn’t bother once you get down to the single ingredient recipes. Then sell those to an NPC and head back to the dungeon.

Get certified for the daily provisioning writs as well by talking to Danel Telano in the mages guild at Vulkhel Guard, Daggerfall, or Davon’s Watch. Doing these each day will also earn you some xp and give you recipes and ingredients as a reward.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aelthwyn wrote: »
    And don’t bother leveling with Blue recipes unless you really have a lot of ingredients laying around.

Just so you know, you get the same inspiration if you make a Green or Blue or Purple recipe. The very first time you make a Blue or Purple, and get the Achievement, you get a boost in inspiration, but after that, it is only recipe level that has an impact on Inspiration.