Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Alchemy must have for Endgame pve?

AliBaba8388
So is it a must have?I just do pve and just use the loot potions.
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Craftable potions gives twice the duration.
    Alchemy have nice passives witch scales with every potions you consume.
    This post is crap.
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is not a "make it or break it" tree, but I would highly recommend it for the reasons @OrphanHelgen articulated. Crafted potions last longer than the cool down on the with V15 mats and the passives, and can gibe a wide variety of benefits.
  • AliBaba8388
    This post is crap.
    Why is my post crap?Im just asking for opinions if its worth.And sry for my english,its not my main language.
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since you're playing PVE I don't think its necessary. If you thought it was cool and just wanted to do it that's one thing but if its just something you're going to grind out to have a few nice crafted items I would recommend provisioning instead. Much easier to grind it to 50 and you literally find ingredients everywhere. Crafted food can give a nice buff that would help you through a tough boss fight.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Stillian
    Stillian
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is must have because of passive that makes potion effects last longer.
    Elitist Scum Guild PC EU
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP your english is fine. The post above mine is correct; alchemy is necessary for end game anything, purely for the passives. Even if you never craft a potion having the skill points in the passive that increases the duration of potions is invaluable, and you need to level it up to get the passive.
    PC | EU
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For dungeons and harder content, the crafted potions are much better. These can be expensive to buy from other crafters, but are easy to make with Alchemy. No regrets that I have this skill.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • AOECAPS
    AOECAPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's nice to have but not necessary I have it on my main and not in my other characters and have completed all end game content minus the new trial with ease
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's basically a must have for anything.

pvp, pve... anything where you drink a potion it's worth having alchemy maxed out for the passive.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was going to say nothing is necessary to play PvE endgame, but you're really gimping yourself is you don't have both alchemy and provisioning maxed out. I have both to level 50 on all 7 of my chractors.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only need the "Medicinal Use" passive maxed out. Good potions, whether you craft or buy them, last roughly 37 seconds without Medicinal Use. They last roughly 48 seconds with Medicinal Use. Since the cooldown on potions is 45 seconds, you will have a gap in there where you will have lower regen, lower damage, and lower crit. Keeping those up 100% of the time is one of the best incremental improvements to damage, healing, and sustain that you can get. Potions with garbage effects like ravage health or lower armor give you just as much inspiration as good potions. So just buy some cheap ingredients with negative effects in common and crank out potions to level yourself up.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what @OrphanHelgen is talking about with the "this post is crap" comment, but the rest of what he says, and what the other people posting since then have been saying, is right.

You want alchemy for the crafted potions as they are far better than looted potions - both in terms of duration and in terms of having multiple effects (tri-pots that restore all three stats are good for general purpose, and there are lots of other more specialized potions that can be super useful depending on the content you're doing and your character build). If you have a good source of crafted potions (maybe a friend or guildie, or maybe you just buy them from someone), then you can ignore alchemy from a crafting perspective.

It's not necessary to have the Medicinal Use passive, but it's very useful, and even if you don't level your alchemy for the purposes of crafting potions, it's worth leveling it for the purpose of maxing out that passive.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭

Both alchemy and provisioning are worth it, I constantly run restore magic, increase spell crit increase spell damage potions. The crafted potions also give bigger recovery stats than the dropped pots. I usually sell the dropped pots to trash vendors.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Obliterate
    Obliterate
    ✭✭✭
    This post is crap.

No room on the forums for people like you. What a *** prick
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obliterate wrote: »
    This post is crap.

No room on the forums for people like you. What a *** prick

I concur that crap comment was uncalled for.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Potions are cheap to buy. I havent bothered making my own in fact because they are so cheap.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @AliBaba8388 Yes. If you're going to be doing "endgame" PvE, you should bring your A-game. That means getting your major prophecy, intellect/Savagery, Berserk from potions. To get 100% uptime you'll need to drink them on cooldown, which is 45s. A maxed out medicinal use passive will make your potions last 47s, giving you full coverage.

If you have ~10k gold you can buy all the mats necessary (water, mushrooms) and lvl it to 50 in literally 20 min.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy and provisioning are both easy and fast to level and offer significant advantages. I am sure you could complete most if not all end game content without their passives, but they are really worth the hour or so of each spent in solid leveling.

And we may yet see more advantages if we ever get poisons as a gameplay item.
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have the alchemy ingredients, you can level it up really fast (like 20-30 minutes).. so yes it is certainly worth it, since it's so easy to do... but I wouldn't call it a MUST HAVE.. so you'll be just fine without it.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get by with looted potions it can be expensive and rime consuming to make your own potions
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you actually want to do "serious endgame stuffz" alchemy is good to have. For the passive and at least an option of being able to craft your own potions.
    Necessary? No not really. Keep in mind that you have to be careful with different buffs now as some of them are essentially the same buff and don't stack. For instance Inner Light from Mages Guild skilltree will give you 10% crit, but a fancy "spelldamage" potion(magick+spelldamage+spellcrit) will also give you 10% crit - and it won't stack with the crit from Inner Light, so essentially if you're running Inner Light that bonus gets wasted. If you're also running Surge/Entropy for spelldamage buff, the spelldamage from the potion also gets wasted. Which is why 98% of time I only run dropped magicka pots :tongue: And I do just fine, even when undermanning vet dungeons or/and Trials.

They definitely have their uses though, 3 pots are great for tanks(or well, anyone with surviveability/resources issues, also PvP because resource issue is consistent there), Immoveable pots are great for PvP, Invisibility/Detect pots are great for certain PvP scenarios as well, and even the Spell/weapondamage pots are still great if you want to absolutely maximize your damage output(like you can take Entropy out and replace it with another damage skill etc). I personally just don't find the latter that necessary in 98% scenarios(PvE wise at least). For the other 2%, I usually drag around like a hundred spelldamage and 3pots :tongue: