Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spell damage and weapon damage

dereck_phantom
Ok so how important is weapon and spell damage like I seen a guy that's a sorc with like 2600 spell damage wreck ppl but why others have 3500 or even 4K weapon and spell damage? Does that mean their dps is far greater than someone with lower dps?
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damage is mainly determined by two things:
    1) Max Stats
    2) Damage Stats
    Both individually increase you damage.

If you are a Stamina character, then your damage is increased by having higher Weapon Damage and Max Stamina.

If you are a Magicka character, then your damage is increased by having higher Spell Damage and Max Magicka.

Stacking pure Weapon/Spell damage is easier to do and will grant you a good amount more damage dealt, but Max Stats give you more ability uses (bigger pool to drain) and increases certain skills effectiveness which Weapon/Spell damage does not. Choosing which one to stack depends on your class/build/skills.

It is important to have high damage because you simply will kill things faster. You also want to make sure you have enough survivability though, in the form of resistances and more importantly Stamina/Magicka Regeneration. Champion Points heavily tie into the strength of your character.

As for those Sorcs, my PvP setup nets me like 2400 spell damage and will be much lower when I aquire all of the set pieces I need (waiting to see the new Dark Brotherhood sets before crafting V16 Gold). As a strong Magicka Sorc, take it from me that you'll want to focus on Max Magicka to simultaneously increase shield strength and damage dealt. This is key in PvP.

In PvE content, spell/weapon damage tends to be much more important (from a Sorc perspective) to pull very high damage as a DPS.

Hope this helped!
    Edited by Vaoh on April 13, 2016 1:57AM
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doncellius wrote: »
    1) Max Stats
    2) Damage Stats

If you are a Stamina character, then your damage is increased by having higher Weapon Damage and Max Stamina.

If you are a Magicka character, then your damage is increased by having higher Weapon Damage and Max Stamina.

Stacking pure Weapon/Spell damage is easier to do and will grant you a good amount more damage dealt, but Max Stats give you more ability uses (bigger pool to drain) and increases certain skills effectiveness which Weapon/Spell damage does not. Choosing which one to stack depends on your class/build/skills.

It is important to have high damage because you simply will kill things faster. You also want to make sure you have enough survivability though, in the form of resistances and more importantly Stamina/Magicka Regeneration. Champion Points heavily tie into the strength of your character.

As for those Sorcs, my PvP setup nets me like 2400 spell damage and will be much lower when I aquire all of the set pieces I need (waiting to see the new Dark Brotherhood sets before crafting V16 Gold). As a strong Magicka Sorc, take it from me that you'll want to focus on Max Magicka to simultaneously increase shield strength and damage dealt. This is key in PvP.

In PvE content, spell/weapon damage tends to be much more important (from a Sorc perspective) to pull very high damage as a DPS.

Hope this helped!

You put weapon damage / stamina for both magicka and stamina characters.
    PC/EU DC
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typhoios wrote: »
    Doncellius wrote: »
    1) Max Stats
    2) Damage Stats

If you are a Magicka character, then your damage is increased by having higher Weapon Damage and Max Stamina.

Hope this helped!

You put weapon damage / stamina for both magicka and stamina characters.

Shhhh..... *fixed
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok so how important is weapon and spell damage like I seen a guy that's a sorc with like 2600 spell damage wreck ppl but why others have 3500 or even 4K weapon and spell damage? Does that mean their dps is far greater than someone with lower dps?

2600 is tops with a staff, 3500 is with swords buffed and generally useless and 4k is with Kena procs on overload sword bar. So regardless of thier stats the 2600 unbuffed is the norm for spell damage on a sorc.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • dereck_phantom

2600 is tops with a staff, 3500 is with swords buffed and generally useless and 4k is with Kena procs on overload sword bar. So regardless of thier stats the 2600 unbuffed is the norm for spell damage on a sorc.
    Ok I get what you are saying anything above 3500 is just wasted damage right
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok I get what you are saying anything above 3500 is just wasted damage right

wtf no? The higher weapon/spell damage the stronger your melee/magick attacks are. You want to always keep up your buffs and have as much damage as possible.

Flawless dawnbreaker increases Weapon damage
    Expert Hunter / Mage light increase Crit damage

Various other class skills and passives also increase damage, and there are buffs like Rally for 2handers which increases damage. You can get 4k+ with 2 hander without sorc Overload. The higher the damage the faster you kill things.
    Master Debater
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reference: http://esolog.uesp.net/viewSkillCoef.php

How to interpret a skill, for example:

"$1 = 0.0520309 Stat + 0.54034 Power + 3.19111 (Magicka, R2 = 1, ratio = 10.38)"

Stat (Magicka in this case) gets a 0.0520309 multiplier
    Power (Spell power here) gets a 0.54034 multiplier

Data is used for http://esolog.uesp.net/viewSkills.php which will show you the tooltip damage in relation to your stats.
    Edited by Docmandu on April 13, 2016 7:21PM