Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Rubedo Leather gathering

Crimsonwolf666
Crimsonwolf666
✭✭✭✭
Anyone else notice that getting the mats for V16 medium gear seems anywhere between 2-3 times harder than light or heavy. When my Blacksmither goes to get ruebidite ore, every node he finds gives a minimum of 3 ore and up to 7 (i believe) is the highest I have seen. My clothier goes gathering raw Ancestor silk and you get a minimum of 3 raw silk and up to (from a regular node not the Lush from clothier survey) 4 is the highest I have gotten. But Rubedo scraps from animals has a pretty poor drop rate and you average getting 1 scrap if you do get any. I have even killed those mammoths in Wrothgar 5 times and they dropped nothing at all. Durzog and harpies are okay they drop anywhere between 0-2 scraps, the one hit kill animals have a chance to drop some. More often they don't drop any. Its weird because the refining for these raw materials is 10, yet it is considerably easier to grab heavy armor mats and light armor mats than medium. You would think that the Rubedo scraps would drop for at least every animal you have to battle with.
I don't know, is there some secret I don't know about or is it that poor to gather Rubedo leather for everyone?
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost only get rub leather and almost never get silk for my three magic builds depends on the player and your own RNG I have several hundred druegh wax and like 7 tempering alloys saved in almost two years.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Bdawwg
    Bdawwg
    ✭✭✭
    I get tonnes of ruby ash wood and rubedite but leather and silk are low :/ they're that much harder to farm because they don't stick out as much.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Im with OP.

Imx the silk and wood come more eadily.

But that is probably a measure of how much time is spent farming vs policing - i am pretty good at noticing the mats on the ground with keen eye, duh, and stopping for them but i dont go outta my way to kill every enchilada and durzog i see while roaming.

At least not until yesterday when i ran out.

I do make a point to kill every insufferably annoying deer-with-attitude elk i see and they sometimes drop rubi-scraps.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Bdawwg
    Bdawwg
    ✭✭✭
    I think I may invest a few skill points into keen eye for the silk now, is it better to g et all 3?
  • Caza99
    Caza99
    ✭✭✭✭
    Err I get 2-3 times more leather spending an hour farming old orsinium than an hour gathering wood/ore/silk nodes. I need moar silk xD
    PC NA - @MercerESO
  • lonewolf26
    lonewolf26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kill a lot of monsters so I've a good collection V16 medium materials. I find collecting light armor materials to be more difficult as they're so hard to see as dark colored as they are. I don't have enough skill points to dedicate to the passives to make them stand out more.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bdawwg wrote: »
    I get tonnes of ruby ash wood and rubedite but leather and silk are low :/ they're that much harder to farm because they don't stick out as much.

Are you not using Keen Eye passive? No problem finding nodes with even 1 SP in that.
    Bdawwg wrote: »
    I think I may invest a few skill points into keen eye for the silk now, is it better to g et all 3?

Okay, I see you know about this. I only have 1 SP in this, and this from game release. It's enough.
    Edited by Ourorboros on April 8, 2016 3:46PM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lonewolf26 wrote: »
    I kill a lot of monsters so I've a good collection V16 medium materials. I find collecting light armor materials to be more difficult as they're so hard to see as dark colored as they are. I don't have enough skill points to dedicate to the passives to make them stand out more.

Have to say, if you don't have enough skill points, it's not from a lack of available skill points. My main, with ALL crafts maxed as well as multiple skill lines with passives maxed, still has skill points to spare. Even my alts, missing many skill points available, has enough for Keen Eye. And if they didn't, it's pretty easy to get a few from dungeons, skyshards, quests, even PVP. If you've done all of the above and have no extra SP, consider a respec. Surely there are some skills or passives you don't need or use. Keen Eye is worth the SP if you want to gather clothier mats.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just run the second loop in Old Orsinium (with all the bears and harpies), you'll get your mats in no time.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Crimsonwolf666
    Crimsonwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caza99 wrote: »
    Err I get 2-3 times more leather spending an hour farming old orsinium than an hour gathering wood/ore/silk nodes. I need moar silk xD

Old orsinium you say? Well I know where I am going lol :D Thank you for the hint.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually MA users/crafters have been given the shaft pretty much since this game came into existence. For example, having the wrong leather drops from the animals based on the zone you were in. And I agree with the OP, it's much more difficult to obtain Rubedo than the other crafting mats. Although we have crafting writs that allow you to get a nice stash of Rubedite or Ancestor silk, the leather users get nothing. I always thought it would be nice if you got a survey that would take you to some crates that contained leather once in awhile.
  • Vermeirken
    Vermeirken
    Soul Shriven
    No problems here, probably got and sold around 3500rubedo in 1 week.

Available @ traders on ps4EU ;)
  • Crimsonwolf666
    Crimsonwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't know, it just seems like Rubedo takes much more effort and time to gather. When gathering woodworking, light or heavy armor stuff I can get around 6 times as much as the Rubedo leather in the same amount of time. Seems way off that there is little love for Medium armor crafting. And I agree with Ashtaris, I think it would be nice if doing a clothing writ you had a chance to get a loot or crate with medium armor scraps as there is clothing surveys for Lush Ancestor Silk and Rich Rubedite ore, etc...
  • Vermeirken
    Vermeirken
    Soul Shriven
    I disagree, when farming Durzogs in Wrothgar I can net around 500-600 raw leather to refine per hour, just need to take the time to figure out where they spawn en create a route to run at.
  • Crimsonwolf666
    Crimsonwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vermeirken wrote: »
    I disagree, when farming Durzogs in Wrothgar I can net around 500-600 raw leather to refine per hour, just need to take the time to figure out where they spawn en create a route to run at.

I don't know if its my luck, or my character, (despite being 50 in Clothier and all 10 points into Tailoring) a lvl VR4 that I don't get many drops but I went into that one delve in Wrothgar, Nikolvara's Kennel, and circled around the Durzog there and in the 35 mins I went around killing them, I received 63 raw rubedo scraps....not much for the amount I was killing off. Soooo I don't know why other ppl get great drops from there kills, but I am lucky if I kill 5 mobs and get 1 scrap....
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    Just run the second loop in Old Orsinium (with all the bears and harpies), you'll get your mats in no time.

Agree with this. Old orsinium is the place to go, all the harpies and bears. I don't use rubedo leather but I do grind cp in old orsinium and I recently gave 1000 rubedo leather to a guildie cos it was taking up too much room in my bank. I still have about 600. I gave the same guildie about 600 a couple of months back.

TL;DR: grinding in old orsinium will get you a lot of rubedo leather. I wish it was as easy to farm silk and ash.
    PC | EU
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am also usually low on silk not the others.

Ash, ingots & kuta are by far the most common in my experience. :sunglasses:
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't know, it just seems like Rubedo takes much more effort and time to gather. When gathering woodworking, light or heavy armor stuff I can get around 6 times as much as the Rubedo leather in the same amount of time. Seems way off that there is little love for Medium armor crafting. And I agree with Ashtaris, I think it would be nice if doing a clothing writ you had a chance to get a loot or crate with medium armor scraps as there is clothing surveys for Lush Ancestor Silk and Rich Rubedite ore, etc...

Decon the ornate and intricate items, you get a chance at getting more than just one rubedo (between 3 and 7 from my experience).
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA