Edited by Reorx_Holybeard on April 1, 2016 5:01PM
I've been recently working on our Skills Browser
along with computing Skill Coefficients
and thought the following information might be of some use to people.
Most people probably know by now the basics of how the values in a skill tooltip work:
- Magicka based skill values are based on Max Magicka and Spell Damage (10.5 Magicka = 1 Spell Damage for most skills).
- Stamina based skill values are based on Max Stamina and Weapon Damage (10.5 Stamina = 1 Spell Weapon for most skills).
- Ulimates use the highest of Magicka/Stamina and Spell/Weapon Damage.
These general rules help you decide whether to be a Magicka/Stamina based character and which skills would be more useful to you. You can use Stamina abilities on a Magicka character (or vice-versa) but their damage and usefulness will be much lower. However, there are a notable amount of skills that don't
follow these rules as listed below. Some of these may be obvious to experienced players, but some are not so obvious and may impact some of your character build and skill decisions.
Skills that are Just Odd
There are a few skill values that behave in a non-obvious manner.
Skills that act like Ultimates
- NightBlade Soul Shred/Soul Tether/Soul Siphon -- The leech affect of these ultimates uses the max of Magicka/Stamina but seems to ignore Weapon Damage and always use Spell Damage.
- Vampire Devouring Swarm -- Similarly, the siphon effect of this ultimate uses the max of Magicka/Stamina but seems to ignore Weapon Damage and always use Spell Damage.
There are some regular skill values that unexpectedly act like ultimates in that they use the highest of magicka/stamina and spell/weapon damage rather than the base stat of the skill.
Skills Based on Health
- Dragonknight Choking Talons/Dark Talons/Burning Talons -- Synergy damage acts like an ultimate.
- Dragonknight Flames of Oblivion -- Flame damage acts like an ultimate. Note that the base skill Inferno's damage is based on magicka as is the other morph Cauterize's healing amount.
- NightBlade Grim Focus/Merciless Resolve/Relentless Focus -- Are magicka based skills but the damage acts like an ultimate.
- Sorcerer Lightning Splash/Liquid Lightning/Lightning Flood -- Synergy damage acts like an ultimate.
- Templar Burning Light -- The magic damage for this passive acts like an ultimate.
- Templar Cleansing Ritual/Purifying Ritual/Extended Ritual -- Healing amount acts like an ultimate.
- Undaunted Inner Fire/Inner Rage/Inner Beast -- Damage values act like ultimates.
- Undaunted Necrotic Orb/Mystic Orb/Energy Orb -- The exploding/healing values acts like an ultimate (other values are magicka based).
- Undaunted Trapping Webs/Tangling Webs/Shadow Silk -- The synergy magic damage acts like an ultimate.
A bunch of skill values are based on health, some obvious and some not so much.
Skills Based on Stamina
- Destruction Tri Focus -- The shield portion is based on 4/8% max health.
- Dragonknight Obsidian Shield/Igneous Shield/Fragmented Shield -- Shield value is based on 15.5% max health.
- Dragonknight Standard/Standard of Might/Shifting Standard -- Synergy damage is based on 20% max health.
- Fighters Guild Silver Shards/Silver Leash/Silver Bolts -- Extra magic damage is based on 15% max health.
- Imperial Red Diamond -- The restore portion of this passive is based on 2/4/6% max health.
- Mages Guild Equilibrium/Spell Symmetry/Balance -- Exchange is based on max health (30% for Health, 12% for Magicka).
- One Hand and Shield Absorb Magic -- Shield is based on 50% max health.
- One Hand and Shield Shielded Assault -- Shield value is based on 12.4% max health.
- Sorcerer Disintegrate -- The shock damage for this passive is based on 50% max health.
- Soul Magic Soul Shatter -- The magic damage for this passive is based on health (5/10% of max health).
Some skill values are only based on stamina despite being an ultimate, magicka, or passive ability.
Skills Based on Magicka
- Dual Wield Twin Blade and Blunt -- The bleed damage for this passive is based on stamina/weapon damage.
- Redguard Adrenaline Rush -- The restore portion for this passive is based on 1/2/3% max stamina.
- Two Handed Heavy Weapons -- The bleed damage for this passive is based on stamina/weapon damage.
- Werewolf Werewolf Transformation/Werewolf Berserker/Pack Leader -- Despite being an ultimate the bleeding effect is only based on stamina and weapon damage.
Similarly, some skill values are only based on magicka despite being an ultimate or stamina ability.
Skills with Different Ratios
- Alliance Support Replenishing Barrier -- Although an ultimate the magicka restore portion is only based on magicka (1.5% of max magicka).
Most skills use the ratio near the 10.5 Magicka/Stamina == 1 Spell/Weapon damage value, but the following ones have significantly different ratios.
- Destruction Elemental Drain -- The magicka restore value is based on 1.3% max magicka.
- Light Armor Annulment/Dampen Magic/Harness Magicka -- Shield value is based on 34% max magicka. The magicka restore portion of Harness is based on 3% max magicka.
- Nightblade Leeching Strikes -- Restore portion is based on 3% max magicka.
- Nightblade Summon Shade/Dark Shades/Shadow Image -- The magic damage of the shades is based on 3/3/4% max magicka.
- Sorcerer Conjured Ward/Hardened Ward/Empowered Ward -- Shield amount is based on 33/36/36% max magicka.
- Sorcerer Daedric Mines/Daedric Tomb/Daedric Minefield -- The ratio for the magic damage of these skills is 20.0 meaning they depend twice as much on spell damage as typical skills.
- Sorcerer Summon Unstable Familiar/Summon Unstable Clannfear/Summon Volatile Familiar -- Attack damage is based on 2/3/2% max magicka. The area damage of the Volatile Familiar is based on 8% max magicka.
- Sorcerer Summon Winged Twilight/Summon Twilight Tormentor/Summon Twilight Matriarch -- Main attack is based on 6% max magicka. The heal of the Matriarch is based on 20% max magicka.
- Templar Backlash/Purifying Light/Power of the Light -- Maximum damage is based on 60% max magicka (or stamina for Power of the Light).
- Templar Repentance -- Health and stamina restored is based on 10% of your maximum magicka/stamina.
- Undaunted Inner Fire/Inner Rage/Inner Beast -- The explosion damage is an ultimate value that has a ratio of 8.55.
- Undaunted Necrotic Orb/Mystic Orb/Energy Orb -- Magicka restore is based on 5% max magicka. Heal of Mystic Orb is based on 10% max magicka.
- Undaunted Trapping Webs/Shadow Silk/Tangling Webs -- Synergy magic damage has a ratio of 15.90.
- Undaunted Undaunted Command -- The restore portions of this passive are based on the relevant stat (restores 2/4% max stat).
- Vampire Devouring Swarm -- Siphon value has a ratio of 7.33.
Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net
-- UESP ESO Guilds
Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive