The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What class best uses DW? (solo, pve)

skyfiredraco
skyfiredraco
✭✭✭
Hey all. Just a question from an eso semi-newb... but for someone just returning to the game after a long absence... what class best utilizes dual wield?

Basically, i'm trying to settle on a class to level up on my ps4 version. I'm not really looking to pvp (outside of some dabbling maybe) and am mostly just wanting to solo my way through the zones and storyline. I'm looking for something with self-sustainability and the ability to take on stuff like the skull and crossbone mini bosses on the map (with some prep). I'm kinda deliberately avoiding the templar "spam puncturing sweep" build... mostly because i don't like spears and i'm petty lol.

I DO, however, really like dual wield. The look. The flow. The skill lines, etc. I've been enjoying a few magicka builds (destro staff mostly) here and there but i kinda miss melee (always been melee in these games).

So i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask... So yea... what race/class/resource (magic/stam) do you guys suggest for a pve solo'ist that mostly wants to dual wield (with maybe a ranged option on my secondary bar... either destro staff or bow).

ty for any advice all :)
PS4 / NA
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going DW and Resto will be a mixed bag of magika and stamina, which you certainly can do, but resource management will be your full time job while you are leveling up. Once you have a bunch of skill points you could put all attribute points in Health, then carry a full medium and light armor set to swap out (for the passives) and change play style without having to respect a lot.

I have a NB and started out with swords and a bow, it was good and kind of fun, but man, once I switched to Magicka, I am loving it. I still DW, but don't use any of the DW skills, all NB class skills. Plus I can invisible basically forever, I even went deep into a group dungeon past several bosses just to get a lore book.

I have thought about going back to stamina for fun, DW/bow, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

PVE solo, though, TBH, you can build just about anything you want and clear 90%.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I mean a lot of magicka builds have duel wield swords on their back bar, because according to ESO logic holding a couple of swords makes you better at spell casting. Note that you don't actually use any of the duel wield skills you just hold them for the stat boost.

If you actually want to use them, I like using duel wield/bow on my nightblade as it goes well with the assassination skill line. If you want to use the skill line of the weapon you'll want to invest in stamina as that's what it requires, and I wouldn't use a destro staff on your back bar with it because that uses magicka skills and putting everything into one resource pool = higher damage at the moment. A bow would be better as it's stamina as well.

If you're just soloing content race doesn't really matter at all, one of my Altmer was a stamina build for a long time just for fun before I respecced her to magicka for group content. But races that have helpful passives for stamina are Redguards, Imperials, Dunmer, Orcs, Bosmer and Khajiit.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my wood-elf. Not mentioned hardly ever by the min/max circle, but for solo/rp it is not bad with a stamina nightblade.

Passives include: 15% Bow experience boost, 1% max stamina, 7% stamina regen, and a stealth detection/damage boost.

I have never considered race for stats in these types of games - but they do have more of an impact here than most MMOs out there.
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    emily3989 wrote: »
    I love my wood-elf. Not mentioned hardly ever by the min/max circle, but for solo/rp it is not bad with a stamina nightblade.

Passives include: 15% Bow experience boost, 1% max stamina, 7% stamina regen, and a stealth detection/damage boost.

I have never considered race for stats in these types of games - but they do have more of an impact here than most MMOs out there.

I'm sure it's 21% stamina Regen, 3% max stamina ? The damage boost from stealth is great also.
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    emily3989 wrote: »

I'm sure it's 21% stamina Regen, 3% max stamina ? The damage boost from stealth is great also.

Yes sir, you are correct, with passives maxed out. The stealth detection reduction is 3 meters, and the stealth damage boost is 10%.
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also NB should be great for you, you said you wanted good sustain, siphoning attacks is great for that! (Under the siphoning NB tree)
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In terms of solo questing and exploration, it really doesn't matter. At the top tier for damage roles in group content, stam DKs and stam Sorcs make strong use of DWing, utilitizing synergy potential between Molten Armaments or Bound Armaments. NBs are strong with DW too, particularly because of their ability to weave a strong, single target instant damae ability (surprise attack) in a melee setting. DW stamplars really aren't a bad option either, as it often affords better resource management, but your bread and butter here is still jabs.
    Edited by Autolycus on March 31, 2016 3:07PM
  • skyfiredraco
    skyfiredraco
    ✭✭✭
    Just woke up to see the replies, ty guys :)

so... if i was to go magicka nightblade (using pretty much all NB class skills), what stat spread would i be looking at?

full magicka? health/magicka hybrid? etc.?

I'm assuming light armor for the magicka bonuses and passive?

i think i can figure out the skills (though if there are any truly op combos i'd be happy to hear about them lol).

ty again all :)
    PS4 / NA
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Full light armor to maximize light armor passives - or 2 medium for the second medium armor passive (sneaking something) if you do a lot of ninja soloing.

Right now I am 2:1 magika to health, but I am solo runner mostly. You don't want to be too squishy, especially if you are PUG dungeon running.

For me I settled on this for solo questing fun:

DW - Cloak, Lostus Fan, Concealed Wpn, Sap Essence, Twisting path* U - Veil of Blades
    Resto - Funnel health, Merc. Resolve, Crippling Grasp, Impale, Healing Ward U - Meteor
    * Twisting path is changeable for whatever I wanna try out - if you are struggling, fear might be good here, or some other utility

The DW bar is my ninja/sneak/normal questing mow stuff down fun bar.
    The Resto bar is my world/dungeon/delve boss bar.

I have a blast with this, can solo anything in the normal zones as well.

You won't have all these skills at first, but it will give you time to try out some other ones while leveling up your class trees. Sap Essences is mandatory in terms of AOE though, and funnel health is also a staple to any Mag NB build.

Edited by emily3989 on March 31, 2016 7:50PM
  • Resipsa131
    Resipsa131
    ✭✭✭
    Just woke up to see the replies, ty guys :)

so... if i was to go magicka nightblade (using pretty much all NB class skills), what stat spread would i be looking at?

full magicka? health/magicka hybrid? etc.?

I'm assuming light armor for the magicka bonuses and passive?

i think i can figure out the skills (though if there are any truly op combos i'd be happy to hear about them lol).

ty again all :)
    I have a v16 dunmer magblade as my main, my set-up for PvP, PvE Dungeons, and VMA have completely different weapons, skills, and damage rotations.
    All Attributes in Magicka/Armor Enchantments and get spellpower on your jewelry
    I run 5/1/1 Light/Heavy/Medium. (You need the extra health to get close to 20K Health)
    Currently Running TBS but will switch pretty soon to Julianos. I have a divine set of Molag Kena so my normal single target damage rotation (assuming I've got Major Sorcery from something, pot., the tank running igneous weapons, my own structured entrpy or Sap Essence) is Merciless Resolve, Medium Attack cancel with Crippling Grasp, Medium Attack cancel with funnel health, double light attack, Soul Harvest, Spectral Bow.

• Acsvf
    Acsvf
    ✭✭✭
    I would not have either dual wield or resto as my main bar weapon as a magicka nightblade. When your single target spam ability is instant you really have to weave in medium attacks, otherwise you lose a lot of damage.
    @LightArray
    Lightarray Level 50 Dunmer Magicka Templar Healer

CP: 192

Add @Acsvf when quoting me to give me a notification!
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the best classes fo DW solo PvE is stamina sorc for lots of reasons:
    1. You have precast major weapon dmg buff with healing included. (good for dmg and survival)
    2. You have stamina pool and minor armor tuggle buff (good for dmg and survival)
    3. You have lots of dark magic CC skills and CC good synergies with ruffian DW passive (tornado on encased enemies is very good)
    4. Sorcs class passives add to you weapon power and make you skill costs cheaper.
    5. You have class gap close/run away with built in CC (ruffian passive again)
    Edited by Stannum on April 1, 2016 10:03AM
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    Stam dk and Stam nb pve
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA