The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Alchemy and Enchanting usefulness

themooreshow
When I first started playing, I focused a lot on Alchemy and Enchanting levels. But as I have progressed, I've found that I rarely use them, and they tend to take up a lot of inventory space. Is there really any point to these disciplines? Do they become more useful at the higher levels?
  • viperroos
    viperroos
    ✭✭
    You try do VDSA without any food or enchanted gear.
  • viperroos
    viperroos
    ✭✭
    And potions
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd argue Alchemy is probably the most useful craft for gameplay because of the various benefits different potions give. With all the others, you only really need to create stuff or rely on friends once in a while but being able to create various tri-pots to fit your personal situation is important. However, in saying that, it's good to be self sufficient and level/research everything up throughout your characters.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every piece of gear you use should have an enchantment on it. Ideally, your gear should have attribute enchantments that boost your main resource pool (Stamina or Magic) and your weapons should have something on them to increase damage.

As for potions, unless you have a good self heal, they are pretty much required to have.

Fortunately, you only need about 3 Reagents and 1 Solvent for the most needed potions, and for enchanting you only need to keep the runes that make glyphs you can use so one or two potencies, some aspects and the essences you need. The rest can be sold or stored on a mule until later.
    Edited by Nestor on March 31, 2016 2:11PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just spent about 80k on enchanting my armor and weapons. Needless to say I wished I'd picked up enchanting earlier.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Jamellian
    Jamellian
    ✭✭
    All the crafts are very useful and needed in their own unique ways.

I have found Provisioning and Alchemy to be extremely useful on a daily basis. The buffs they both provide can help you overcome some insanely deadly fights.

Some don't realize it, blacksmithing, woodworking can be combined with enchanting to create some Hero like weapons, which can serve many different functions.
    For instance replenishing stamina and magicka or health during combat, Resistances to types of damage, inflicting different types of damage. These are just a few of the different types of glyphs which can be applied to weapons.

In the clothier (Medium and light armor) and blacksmithing (heavy armor) crafts you can also make you own armor and customize it with traits you learned through researching items.
    After having made a piece of armor you can then use and enchanting glyph to add more health, stamina, or magicka to the piece.
    ================================================================================
    Thoughts about Crafting in the game.
    For me, I always craft set armor for my main and alts, usually every 5 levels up to around level 50. Then on an as needed basis.

That being said, do crafting supplies take up a lot of space? YES. I started out saving all the raw materials I collected and there was a need for more bank space all the time. And because ESO lets you craft using materials straight from the bank, I would always deposit my deconned mats too.

My provision-er is a different story though. I keep his supplies on him and don't mix them in with the bank Materials. Mainly because there are so many and he's always finding them on his adventures.