The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crowns ~ what to buy?

connivingsumo
I ended up with 3,500 Crowns (misunderstood Game Stop's online store/advertising), so is there anything in particular I should get: a mount, a specific expac, or?
  • mysteryblogga
    In my opinion, you should use your crowns to buy one of the expansions like the imperial city, orsinium, thieves guild, or save them for the upcoming Dark Brotherhood. I spent crowns on a mount and some other packs and I regret it now. You can get mounts in game, so save your real money for actual add-ons to the game. Again, just my opinion and my regrets from personal experience. :P
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a fire horse and a camel - I love to role play and change mounts depending on what/where I am questing.

I cancelled my sub and am now using left over crown on DLCs. The sub bonuses are just meh to me.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • connivingsumo
    emily3989 wrote: »
    I bought a fire horse and a camel - I love to role play and change mounts depending on what/where I am questing.

I cancelled my sub and am now using left over crown on DLCs. The sub bonuses are just meh to me.

I felt the same about SWTOR - a subscription just gets you in game currency. You and the others suggested DLC, which makes sense.

Thanks everyone.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other must have item, in my opinion, is the pack that lets you play any race in any alliance. I think it is called the Adventurer's Pack (used to be the Explorer Pack). I say this because I want to be able to pick my race and alliance as I see fit.

And, if you don't have a mount, get one of those. Nothing else, it is a cheap way to get 60 bag slots over time.
    Edited by Nestor on April 1, 2016 8:50PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• connivingsumo
    Nestor wrote: »
    The other must have item, in my opinion, is the pack that lets you play any race in any alliance. I think it is called the Adventurer's Pack (used to be the Explorer Pack). I say this because I want to be able to pick my race and alliance as I see fit.

And, if you don't have a mount, get one of those. Nothing else, it is a cheap way to get 50 bag slots over time.

Oh, the mount comes with 'built in' bag space? Nice!

Someone said not to bother with buying a mount because you can get one in game, but I wondered if I would have the gold (or other resource(s)) to actually buy one. Are they expensive and readily available in towns, or should I actually buy one with Crowns?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone said not to bother with buying a mount because you can get one in game, but I wondered if I would have the gold (or other resource(s)) to actually buy one. Are they expensive and readily available in towns, or should I actually buy one with Crowns?

It does not come with built in bag space, it is just the cheapest bag space option out there. First three character upgrades are 400, 2000 and 5900 which give you 10 slots each, where the horse can be upgraded for 250 a bag slot each day. So that is 10 slots for 2500 gold, and you can put 60 bag spaces on your horse.

As for getting a horse, you can buy one with in game gold, and if you have the Imperial Edition, the horse is cheap (it might even be included now). If you don't then the horse is expensive, but you can make the gold for the horse in a few days by stealing and fencing. Don't buy the 42,000 gold horse, unless you really really really like the colors, it is no different than the base horse, which I can't remember the price on that, it is somewhere over 10,000, but less than 17,000 gold. Imperial is, or was, 1 gold. You can also get the Imperial Pack in the Crown Store if you want.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• connivingsumo
    Sounds like I would kill the proverbial 'two birds' by buying the Imperial Pack ~ I'd get the DLC/Expac, and an affordable horse (I don't have 10k gold).

Thanks for the tip!
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seriously,..you cant use your own likes and dislikes to actually figure out what you want? You need to ask someone else?
    Just go into the store and look at everything there.Buy what you want,not what someone else tells you you should buy.
    I dont men to sound rude or anything,it's just that surely you know your own mind.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get the one that allows you to have any race in any alliance..

Trust me its worth it.
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like I would kill the proverbial 'two birds' by buying the Imperial Pack ~ I'd get the DLC/Expac, and an affordable horse (I don't have 10k gold).

Thanks for the tip!
    STOP RIGHT THERE

The Imperial Edition and the Imperial City are two different things. The city is a DLC adding a new PvP-enabled zone in the middle of Cyrodiil (rather emptyish nowadays, so it wouldn't be my first choice of DLC to buy). The Imperial Edition adds a playable Imperial race, a horse and a bunch of other fluff. It doesn't come with any real game content.

I'd save up 10k gold for a basic horse and keep the crowns for DLC when you're bored with the base game, but that's just me. 10k isn't prohibitively expensive, just sell a stack of flowers and other crafting mats and you'll soon be able to afford it.
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless you really like Imperials, the Imperial Edition is not really worth it. Go for the Adventurers pack. Being able to be any race in any faction is great. Getting 10k gold for a base horse in game is easy. Quest, steal/fence stuff, sell junk, etc., and you'll have it fairly fast. Also, DLC (though as another stated, Imperial City should not be at the top of that list).
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • connivingsumo
    Volkodav wrote: »
    Seriously,..you cant use your own likes and dislikes to actually figure out what you want? You need to ask someone else?
    Just go into the store and look at everything there.Buy what you want,not what someone else tells you you should buy.
    I dont men to sound rude or anything,it's just that surely you know your own mind.

Of course, obviously, I know exactly what I like and don't like. What I don't know is where to buy mounts, how much they cost, what the (gold) economy is like, etc. I also don't know if the expacs are worth a crap or not; therefore, I ask for other's experience. In no way, shape, or form did I ask someone to choose an outfit, or a pet, for me because I don't know or have a hard time deciding.

My intention was strictly to determine are the expacs any good/worth buying (if not, then I'll buy stuff I like such as pets, outfits, etc.), or should I get a mount (because they're so expensive in game), or not (because they're so cheap in game), and so on. I apologize I didn't make that clear.
  • connivingsumo
    Johngo0036 wrote: »
    Get the one that allows you to have any race in any alliance..

Trust me its worth it.

You and someone else suggested this, so that merits some attention. ~ Thank you for the tip! :smile:
    Edited by connivingsumo on April 1, 2016 2:34PM
  • connivingsumo
    Rosveen wrote: »

Thanks for the tip!
    STOP RIGHT THERE

The Imperial Edition and the Imperial City are two different things. The city is a DLC adding a new PvP-enabled zone in the middle of Cyrodiil (rather emptyish nowadays, so it wouldn't be my first choice of DLC to buy). The Imperial Edition adds a playable Imperial race, a horse and a bunch of other fluff. It doesn't come with any real game content.

I'd save up 10k gold for a basic horse and keep the crowns for DLC when you're bored with the base game, but that's just me. 10k isn't prohibitively expensive, just sell a stack of flowers and other crafting mats and you'll soon be able to afford it.

Thank you for pointing out the difference; that may very well have been one of those 'ooopsies' on my part.

Sell a stack of flowers ~ is there an 'Auction House' of sorts where players buy/sell from each other? I've only been to newb villages (level 6 is my highest), so I don't recall seeing any of those. I have found 'guild' merchants but my searches end up yielding zero results.
  • connivingsumo
    Unless you really like Imperials, the Imperial Edition is not really worth it. Go for the Adventurers pack. Being able to be any race in any faction is great. Getting 10k gold for a base horse in game is easy. Quest, steal/fence stuff, sell junk, etc., and you'll have it fairly fast. Also, DLC (though as another stated, Imperial City should not be at the top of that list).

Sounds like I need to forum search 'how to steal/fence.' I did steal something, quite by accident, and read the game tutorial/hints on avoiding city guards, paying the fine, etc. but I haven't located the aforementioned fences yet.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no auction house. You can sell in zone chat or in guild stores - you can join up to five guilds, 30 listings per guild store for a maximum of 150 items at a time. Normally only guild members can access the guild store, but guilds can also bid on traders every week - those are the NPCs you found, they're in every major town. Everyone can buy from traders (but not sell, that's still reserved for your own guilds).

If you're on PC, I'd advise you to install two add-ons: Master Merchant and AwesomeGuildStore. It'll be much easier to track prices and search guilds stores if you have them. Btw, which platform and server are you on? Some of us might be able to help you ingame. :)

If you're looking for a fence, check your map for Outlaw Refuges. That's your safe haven if you have a bounty on your head, always run to the refuge when a guard's chasing you. Stealing can be very profitable, but there's a limit on how much you can fence daily. You can increase it with perks in the Legerdemain line, but at low level you're probably more concerned with combat skills.

If you discover you enjoy stealing, the Thieves Guild DLC will be a good fit for you (it also adds a 12 person trial). If you're into PvP, you might be interested in the Imperial City (it also adds two difficult group dungeons). My personal favorite is Orsinium: it's the largest DLC with an engaging storyline and fun side activities, well suited for solo play but incentivizing grouping for daily quests. It's all a matter of preference. You're new, so I think it would be best if you enjoyed the base game for a while and then decided in which direction you want to go.

I agree the Adventurer's Pack is a valuable addition, though not strictly necessary. I have it, but almost all my characters ended up in the default alliance for their race anyway. Still, if you're gonna buy it, better buy it right away.
  • connivingsumo
    Rosveen wrote: »
    If you're on PC, I'd advise you to install two add-ons: Master Merchant and AwesomeGuildStore. It'll be much easier to track prices and search guilds stores if you have them. Btw, which platform and server are you on? Some of us might be able to help you ingame. :)
    Thank you for the helpful tips and advice.

I am playing on PC, but have no idea what server; in fact, I don't even recall choosing a server like I have in other games. When I get home and login, I'll look specifically and update the post. Thanks for the offer! :smiley: