The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Critical Error: "Unable to initialize render device"

Woodfire
Woodfire
Soul Shriven
Hello,

I havn't been playing for a while but wanted to start playing now again.
When I first started my launcher I had to use the repair option which didn't work out. So I downloaded the new client and then the launcher downloaded all new updates and I could press "Play".

Now when I press "Play" the screen turns black and a following pop-up message comes up "Unable to initialize render device". Then the client turns off and I'm back at the launcher.

So I again used the repair option and tried again, but still the same error. I then made a shortcut to the 64bit.exe and the 32bit.exe and added "-window" in order to force the client to start in window mode. I hoped that it might solve the problem but it didn't. I know that like 6 month ago I was able to play the game with no problems.

Does anyone have a clue why it doesn't work?

System Information
Time of this report: 3/29/2016, 13:50:11
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.160205-1520)
Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 8190MB RAM
Page File: 3341MB used, 13230MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Display Devices
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 749 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1006 MB
Shared Memory: 3839 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I also updated my Catalyst Driver and my DirectX to be sure it's not the problem.

Thank you!
  • Woodfire
    Woodfire
    Soul Shriven
    c993a8-1459255346.jpg
  • Avianographer
    Avianographer
    ✭✭
    Windows Vista is not supported in the Thieves' Guild update.
  • Solkanis
    Solkanis
    Soul Shriven
    So they just took a very large group of players out of the game by Not Supporting Windows Vista. That's Brilliant. Been wondering why I have been having issues.
    I had been playing ESO since Beta and was looking forward to Thieves' guild update. So irritated right now.
    Edited by Solkanis on March 29, 2016 6:32PM
  • Woodfire
    Woodfire
    Soul Shriven
    Bought a Windows 7 version which I'm going to install next week-end to check if the error then still occurs. Thanks for the answers!
  • Blackbird71
    Blackbird71
    ✭✭✭
    Just an FYI, a lot of people started experiencing this problem after the Thieve's guild update, and many encountered this specific error following a patch of that update. The main discussion around this issue can be found in this thread:

forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/251147/crash-on-launch-after-patch/p1

Also, regarding Vista, according to ZOS_GinaBruno, Vista with SP2 and DirectX11 should still run:

forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/247934/is-vista-no-longer-supported-even-with-directx-11

I hope that helps; if nothing else, know that you are not alone in experiencing this error!
  • Woodfire
    Woodfire
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you Blackbird for answering to my post. I'm about to install Windows 7 but I see that that shouldn't be the problem.
    That is very annoying. I looked forward to really play the game. I started the Launcher again and now it wants me to download 30GB again. Where I repaired it twice before, and nothing happened. I also didn't change a thing.

I hope that there's a patch soon that just ends the trouble of all the players out there in ESO.
    Edited by Woodfire on April 6, 2016 6:34PM
  • Woodfire
    Woodfire
    Soul Shriven
    I tried to update Vista, update DX, update Catalyst Control Center, "-window" mode, change usersettings, change desktop resolutions.. nothings helps.
    Edited by Woodfire on April 7, 2016 11:56AM
  • fieslyorbeo58
    fieslyorbeo58
    Soul Shriven
    Hi peeps so i have Win vista i cannot play anymore.Gonna upgrade to Win 7 then