The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Is it worth to buy food recipe from NPC?

fatemoe
fatemoe
I have never done food writ before because it's too difficult to find recipe.
Now NPC offers all the recipe needed to do food writ.
Is it really worth it to buy 1000g just to finish writ?
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are leveling provisioning, the extra inspiration from writs is helpful. The writs at every level repeat the same 6 recipes over and over, so it's not an expense for a single writ. You also get gold, recipes and ingredients when you turn in a writ.

I did not realize the NPC prices were so high... a lot of writ recipes sell for 30-100g in guild stores. Some recipes have been notoriously hard to find, and they can be priced much higher.

Your third option is to have another player craft the food for you. You can turn in food someone else has made. If you are leveling, 20 of whatever you are missing should be plenty.
  • fatemoe
    fatemoe
    I'm 50 level provision now.

So far I have only purchased + max HP recipe for my own use.

I need to calculate if it is worth to spend 5000g to do repeat writ everyday.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are doing max level provisioning writs, the writs reward drop the exact same recipes over and over, so frequently that I vendor trash them since no one buys them in guild stores even for 30g. You are not likely to need to buy all of them, certainly not at 1000g each. And they pay ~600g per writ. So yes, they will pay for themselves.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would search the Guild Stores first, as those should be much cheaper than the Game Vendors (I sell Writ Recipes for 99 Gold)

But, yes the recipe is worth it as you will be asked many times to make the recipe. Since they have supposedly removed the Writ Recipes from the Writ Loot tables, your not going to get those recipes as often as we used to. Prior, I would just buy the completed food or drink in a 10 stack or so, knowing I would get the recipe in a container soon.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    At level 1 & 2 there are some rare writs to find, if its those ones you're missing I'd just buy them. At higher levels they're quite common so its up to you whether you spend a bit of time checking guild traders first to see if you can find them cheaper. Wrothgar writ recipes are easy to find, just play a bit in Wrothgar and you'll soon have all six. It's definitely worth getting the recipes to do the writs, at vet levels you get 600 for each one so even if you have to buy all 6 recipes you only need to hand in 10 writs to make your money back, plus you've got a small chance of getting a psijic ambrosia recipe fragment.
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Since they have supposedly removed the Writ Recipes from the Writ Loot tables, your not going to get those recipes as often as we used to.

I'm still getting them. Not every single time, but often.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If I bother selling them, I only charge 100 gold. I'd check the guild stores before spending 1000 gold.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is probably cheaper to just buy the food you need for the writs in bulk and then collect the recipes from the returns.

And even guildmates will make you some food for first writs if you ask nicely.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Since they have supposedly removed the Writ Recipes from the Writ Loot tables, your not going to get those recipes as often as we used to.

Not supposed to:

Provisioning Update
    Vendors now sell recipes used in Provisioning Writs, which will ensure provisioners are able to reasonably complete any Provisioning Writ received.

Food recipes will appear on Chefs, while drink recipes show up on Brewers.
    The recipes offered are based on your current level of Recipe Improvement, though they also will offer recipes from the previous rank as well.
    Provisioning Writs will no longer reward these recipes.
    Completing the certification quest for Provisioning will directly provide the recipes needed for the first tier of writs to ensure novice provisioners can immediately undertake the quests.

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, every time I see this thread I always say to myself "hey I have to remember to check out a vendor and see if there are any recipes they sell that I don't know" and then I always forget by the next time I log in :/

I mean I'm pretty damn sure I already know all the recipes they're likely to sell, but still I should really check...
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Hmm, every time I see this thread I always say to myself "hey I have to remember to check out a vendor and see if there are any recipes they sell that I don't know" and then I always forget by the next time I log in :/

I mean I'm pretty damn sure I already know all the recipes they're likely to sell, but still I should really check...

It would only be recipes used for Writs. If you have done all levels of Writs then you would know them all.

Now, whether you would know them on all 24 of your characters is something else.

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It would only be recipes used for Writs. If you have done all levels of Writs then you would know them all.

Now, whether you would know them on all 24 of your characters is something else.
    lol I may be crazy, but I'm not crazy enough to try to learn all recipes on all of my characters... Just on my provisioner (who definitely already knows all writ recipes - in fact I'm 99% sure she knows every green recipe in the game, I believe there are just a few blue and purple ones that she doesn't know).
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

lol I may be crazy, but I'm not crazy enough to try to learn all recipes on all of my characters... Just on my provisioner (who definitely already knows all writ recipes - in fact I'm 99% sure she knows every green recipe in the game, I believe there are just a few blue and purple ones that she doesn't know).

I'm in the same boat as you @UrQuan , I actually have multiple provisioners with all strata of recipes from green to gold. I know its a bit extra investment to have characters so heavily invested in recipes like that, but I have this superstitious feeling that you get better rewards on characters (From hirelings) who are actually invested in the skills they use. Again I have no proof that this is the case but it seems to be true. Like you I also keep wanting to check and see if I have done all of the low level recipes on my alts, though I'm fairly sure I've gotten the greens settled. The real issue is the blue and purples for the range of 15 to 45. Its a lot easier to acquire 50 to V15 Recipes.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

Not supposed to:

Provisioning Update
    Vendors now sell recipes used in Provisioning Writs, which will ensure provisioners are able to reasonably complete any Provisioning Writ received.

Food recipes will appear on Chefs, while drink recipes show up on Brewers.
    The recipes offered are based on your current level of Recipe Improvement, though they also will offer recipes from the previous rank as well.
    Provisioning Writs will no longer reward these recipes.
    Completing the certification quest for Provisioning will directly provide the recipes needed for the first tier of writs to ensure novice provisioners can immediately undertake the quests.

And yet I got another writ recipe today for my provisioning writ.

Minor bug in the loot tables I guess.
  • MamaDruid
    MamaDruid
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, because you can immediately begin recouping the expense by turning in provisioning writs made with your purchased recipes!
    Most people go through life dreading they'll have a traumatic experience. Freaks were born with their trauma. They've already passed their test in life. They're aristocrats.
    ― Diane Arbus