The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Mag DK advice needed - PvP

Tryxus
Tryxus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So...

The last time I played a DK was back on NA, way before IC went live. So my knowledge is a "bit" outdated :p But I have that same DK vibe that I had back then.

Right now, I only just started lvling him. He's a Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight. But I could use some advice from experienced DKs already such as:

- Morphs and skills?
- Gear Setup? (saw someone mentioning Tava's Favor for Regen and Ulti gain, which looks interesting and nice for a DK)
- Champion setup? Currently for the Mage I have 100 Elemental Expert, 10 Elfborn, 10 Spell Erosion and 22 Thaumaturge

Any help is appreciated :D

Tryxus
"The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Chadwikid
    Chadwikid
    ✭✭✭
    The answer to these questions completely depend on the play style of magicka dk your looking for.

As far as general advice 5 kags 4 Magnus 3 willpower is a good basic setup until you get a feel for it again and can theory craft something on your own. 5 light 1 heavy and 1 medium (if you have the undaunted passive otherwise 5 light 2 heavy is good) Tava's favor does pose some interesting options but again I would leave it alone for now until you get back into it. Impen on as much gear as you can get it on for pvp purposes.

Dks now excel at an extraordinary level at healing through their damage skills AND dots are viable again! You want to have burning embers, flame lash, and deep breath on your offensive bar for sure. ALL those skills heal you based on damage. I am now able to run without a resto staff. Talons is a must as it will help you to control your enemies (dks strong point) and will proc your power lash and a massive heal. Wings as well should definitely be on your bar (if your on pc. They are currently bugged on console and will get you killed). That's the basics.

Unfortunately your burst is still going to center around prox det and the fire blast from deep breath and your ultimate in most cases depending on how good your damage is. You can also play a sustain based style where you will ultimately outlast your opponent. Should you go this route you will most likely hit like a wet noodle but you can stand in the front of the fight and provide control and support for your group while not dying. Sword and board required.

Your weapon choices will also dictate to some degree your okay style and/or skills on your bar.
    Options
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Posted this on another forum. If you want a "tanky" DPS for your Magic Dunmer DK:

I actually use Bahara's Curse on my Dunmer Magicka DK Tank build. It's pretty agressive, too!

Try this set up:

5 PC Bahara's Curse- 3 jewelry, 2 armor
    5 PC Kagrenac's Hope- 3 armor, 2 swords
    2 PC Valkyn Skoria- head and shoulders (of course)

I use a 5 heavy/2 light set up.
    64 Attributes in Magicka.
    Mundus: The Apprentice
    Jewelry is Arcane w/ Spell Damage enchants
    All armor is Triglyph w/ Divines

As we know, Valkyn got a huge buff and it synergizes well with Dunmer DKs. Bahara's Curse ALSO synergizes with Valkyn because it proccs it! Not only that- but as a tank- you can always use the extra DPS, Heals, and snare! If your Ardent Flame skills aren't snaring your enemies- Bahara's Curse sure as hell will!
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
    Options
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you run divines on all gear in pvp you're going to get molly whooped as a magicka Dk. Impenetrable everything 100%. Also sword and shield is not a must. I run destro/Resto and have absolutely no problems.
    Options
  • Chadwikid
    Chadwikid
    ✭✭✭
    With the new changes you can pretty much run whatever weapons you want. I'm currently running dual dual wield. Thank god for not essentially being forced to run a resto staff.
    Options
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chadwikid wrote: »
    With the new changes you can pretty much run whatever weapons you want. I'm currently running dual dual wield. Thank god for not essentially being forced to run a resto staff.

I tried to run dual wield for a little while. Felt gimp ed by having to be at point blank range or having to spam skills. I ended up destro because in combo with molten armaments heavy attacks crit for 10k and from a good range. In combo with proxy det, deep breath, and flame lash I can burst people down pretty easily.
    Options
  • Chadwikid
    Chadwikid
    ✭✭✭
    I hear that. I could never get with the staff dk unless I'm just running a heavy attack one shot build to *** around. I like being up in the front of the fight. My damage is stupid and so my heals are stupid. That combined with impen allows me to get in the middle of the fray and survive. My burst is nasty as well up close and personal especially if I time my proxy deep breath with a meteor or leap proxy. Instawipe kids all the time lol. Personally I'd prefer to run sword and board but the damage is so dumb with my dual wield I can't say the survivability is any better with sword and board cuz now for a dk damage equals survival
    Options
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many great ideas here guys :)

I was actually planning on running with Destro+Resto and create a powerful offensive build, but a Sword and Shield setup looks pretty intersting too + it synergizes pretty nicely with a Mag build as well thanks to the Draconic Power passives.

But do I really need 7/7 Impenetrable on my gear then, or is there a min amount I'm gonna need? Cuz I'm kinda used to running around with 7/7 Divines on both my NB to increase their "neglected" stats somewhat (Regen on Mag, Wep Damage on Stam)
    Chadwikid wrote: »
    You want to have burning embers, flame lash, and deep breath on your offensive bar for sure.

Sounds a bit like what I run on my MagBlade (CW + Sap). Are there any other skills to look out for? Corrosive, Shooting Star, Destro Abilities,...?
    Edited by Tryxus on March 31, 2016 1:11AM
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
    Options
  • Chadwikid
    Chadwikid
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of depends on your play style. Talons for sure as they help proc your power lash. Fossilize is one of the best cc's in the game. If your wanting to be up on the front lines where a dk excels then empowering chains is pretty awesome with the new changes (when it doesn't bug out and not work) wings for sure when they are fixed. I run proxy det as well layer prix det with inhale and lash or leap det or meteor (shooting star especially if your a dunmer) det deep. Death all provide some significant burst. I myself am running molten armaments in case I ever want to run a destro staff and cuz I forget to entropy all the time lol.

You really want to have impen on as many pieces as you can. I currently have it in 5 pieces. It makes a huge difference. That said it does require some adjustment from running divines.
    Options