The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crowns for Gold?

rsiloliveiraub17_ESO
I know this is probably something people have asked already, but I coudn't find any real info about it.

Why not a Gold <> Crown exchange?

Someone like me for example that cannot afford to buy crowns regularly, it would be really cool to be able to buy crowns for gold, even if it was expensive as hell. At least I would be able to work my ass off ingame to compensate for the fact that I'm not able to afford crowns.
  • rsiloliveiraub17_ESO
    *Btw I'm not asking for crowns to be tradeable. That would be stupid.
  • seipher09
    seipher09
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something similar to gw2?

I think this game just wants to help prevent the economy from breaking. Whoever has more real life money to spend makes you richer here isn't exactly fair.
  • GeertKarel
    GeertKarel
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is probably something people have asked already, but I coudn't find any real info about it.

Someone like me for example that cannot afford to buy crowns regularly, it would be really cool to be able to buy crowns for gold, even if it was expensive as hell. At least I would be able to work my ass off ingame to compensate for the fact that I'm not able to afford crowns.

Just get eso+ or buy crowns if you want to get those items in the crownstore.
    Because the game is buy to play now they need a source of income to upkeep the server and keep it a healthy business. If everyone could buy it with gold most likely a lot less people wouldn't pay with real money and that means less profit for zenimax and less employees who could make new content for this game.
    Server: EU Pact
    Guild: Hodor
  • rsiloliveiraub17_ESO
    I thought something like GW2, like seipher said.

I don't think it would break the economy or make people stop buying crowns as long as the price is right. GW2 have a "living" exchange rate, I don't know exactly how it works, but it is like that since the game launched and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Maybe both ways wouldn't be fair... but only being able to buy crowns for gold. Sometime before I had a lot of ingame gold and not much to do with it. Being able to buy some crowns wouldn't be bad.
    Edited by rsiloliveiraub17_ESO on March 25, 2016 9:33PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because crown store items are specifically chosen so that there is no way to influence the in game economy (in a significant way) with crown store purchases.
  • RazielDERF
    RazielDERF
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, this should definitely be an option for those who find themselves with no gold. But by allowing players to purchase gold via crowns it will most definitely change the in-game economy system. With that I am referring to the cost of items that has been set up by the players. We all know that the market fluctuates within the game for those who purchase and sell. Also it is the purely the effect from the players to control this. With that said the players most definitely control the economy and market fluctuations. Bringing in the power of having access to in-game gold will make anyone rich by simply by purchasing it with your real life money (crowns). This can be a great thing but I can also see the negative side of this as well. The ESO market will "crash" so to speak because everyone around will have so much gold and guild stores will have no choice but to lower costs. On the other hand items that people want will be much easier to get. Therefor Guilds will have to most definitely have to work much harder to meet supply and demand. Also bidding for a guild store location will be unfair because guilds rely completely on sales, donations, and raffles to make their gold/value. This would throw things into a catastrophe. But.. Zenimax will be a very rich company at the same time.

I know most of what I said would be some of the adverse effects that would take place but at the same time I also feel that I would welcome the idea. I wouldn't mind at all having extra gold in my bank without having to worry about putting in hours of game time to attain in. I would welcome the new infrastructure but the change would have to make sense and it would have to be done very well. The crown to gold ratio would have to be perfect. Not too much personal money (crown) to be forked over for a decent amount of in-game gold. It would have to be just right in order for all to enjoy. Ok I'm done ranting...

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always loved this idea, and wish they would implement it. IMO, it all comes down to a "money vs. time" sort of exchange.

If you have the time, you can rack up a lot of gold and have absolutely nothing to spend it on. The ability to buy crowns (not trade, or sell them, but buy) would be nice for these players; they can use effort to obtain some fancier rewards.

Of course, not everyone has time to be a trader or crafter, or whatever it is that gets a person gold. I'm pretty sure this is why they have a rotating stock of horses, potions, and food-stuffs available in the Crown Store - for people who otherwise can't afford those items. They're not as good as what one can buy in-game from their fellow players, but they're good enough to get by on. I hear they're going to be adding style materials as well, for people who want armor and weapons but don't have the time to buy or collect that stuff.

As it is, seems a little unfair to only cater to those who spend money, instead of also including those who're willing to spend time. Time is valuable too, after all - people spending time is what gives the rest of us a game to spend money on, right?
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • rsiloliveiraub17_ESO
    Hanokihs wrote: »
    I've always loved this idea, and wish they would implement it. IMO, it all comes down to a "money vs. time" sort of exchange.

If you have the time, you can rack up a lot of gold and have absolutely nothing to spend it on. The ability to buy crowns (not trade, or sell them, but buy) would be nice for these players; they can use effort to obtain some fancier rewards.

Of course, not everyone has time to be a trader or crafter, or whatever it is that gets a person gold. I'm pretty sure this is why they have a rotating stock of horses, potions, and food-stuffs available in the Crown Store - for people who otherwise can't afford those items. They're not as good as what one can buy in-game from their fellow players, but they're good enough to get by on. I hear they're going to be adding style materials as well, for people who want armor and weapons but don't have the time to buy or collect that stuff.

As it is, seems a little unfair to only cater to those who spend money, instead of also including those who're willing to spend time. Time is valuable too, after all - people spending time is what gives the rest of us a game to spend money on, right?

Yes! You got exactly my point, but in a clearer way, thank you. :smiley:
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the things I don't like about GW2 and I'd rather not see it in ESO.

Of course it's hard to prove since it's been in the game since the beginning but I think it does have an impact on the economy, and especially the price of cosmetic/novelty items like legendary weapons (joint top tier with crafted, but with flashier skins) and mini pets. I doubt many people dump large amounts of money into buying gold but it doesn't take many people to have an impact (especially with a single global economy) and when you add in all the people who only do it occasionally for the odd thing they really want it adds up.

If you compare the prices for something like precursors back when they were only available as random drops to the price of similarly popular skins in GW1 (and adjust for the fact that in GW1 1g was the smallest unit of currency) they seem much more expensive in GW2. If you compare mini pets the difference is incredible.

It also makes it much harder to avoid a P2W situation - any time the best stats in the game are available exclusively or mainly as random drops and are tradable it means anyone willing to dump enough money in can get them ahead of people who put in the time and effort to earn them.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • AddictionX
    AddictionX
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crowns > Gold: Absolutely not. That would wreck the economy and mean people were essentially buying the best gear in-game for real money, which is the exact definition of P2W.

Gold > Crowns: I don't think ZOS would go for this, as it would negatively impact their revenue.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Crowns > Gold: Absolutely not. That would wreck the economy and mean people were essentially buying the best gear in-game for real money, which is the exact definition of P2W.

Gold > Crowns: I don't think ZOS would go for this, as it would negatively impact their revenue.

After Heart of Thorns expansion for GW2 went live and ANet made GW2/HoT into F2P, there have become more grinding elements into that game. Gold to Gems have also a rather bad exchange rate, which means it isn't very good idea to grind to get Gold to buy things in Gem store. It is often better to use real money and buy Gems which can be used on items in Gem store.

Another problem with Gold to Crowns would be how much of grinding parts of this game would offer or need. In GW2 every player get loot individually when opening a container (=chests, nods with plants etc), so they aren't competing about who was first to open that container. In ESO every resource is given to the person who first open or interact with it and player trying to access the same resource or container will be looked out until next time the same resource or container will respawn. This means that Gold to Gems isn't something that can be introduced without making very large scale changes for how this game is working today or even being played as every part in the the way its economy work is very different from how GW2/HoT have been designed.
  • shadowwraith666
    shadowwraith666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warframe has Plat > Credits so i don't see why not.
    • Vicktor Bloodtail - L42 Argonian Magblade, Werewolf - EP
    • Xarxes - L31 Dunmer Sorc, Vampire - EP
    • Lichtspear - L21 Argonian Temp - EP
    • Rajka Fireclaw - L21 Khajit DK - AD

PS4 EU
    Spill some blood for me dear brother
    Vicente Valtiere, Dark Brotherhood, Oblivion
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown for gold exchange will make the game more pay to win. Whales will buy tons of crowns with their daddy's credit card, etc. Then sell in game and ruin the market, or buy high lvl set items with it for doing nothing.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • Fallen_Ray
    Fallen_Ray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An overall game destroying suggestion
    "Dear brother, I do not spread rumors, I create them"- Lucien Lachance
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. The last thing this game needs is a means to undervalue the actual real currency being used for the store.

STO has something youre talking about and at times the Dilithium Exchange (which is where you trade Dilithium for Zen) can drive down the actual value of Zen. Zen being the games C-Store (C for Cryptic) currency that you can buy with real money. Its so bad that players have actively began observing the drop and rise of the Dilithium Exchange to base when they should buy Zen/Dilithium or sell it like its a real market. There are times when players are literally throwing their Zen away for Dilithium because the Zen to Dilithium rate is such **** and vise versa.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • catalyst10e
    catalyst10e
    ✭✭✭✭
    No thanks. While I totaly understand your viewpoint on limited play time and the inability to make the gold you'd like to be making, and view this as a means to get gold more easily, it screws us all over in the long run. Gold is a limitless resource within the game as it is now, to then add the ability to flood the market with MORE gold people can just buy with real money, prices will increase drastically. Things that once sold for 1k now sell for 10k because theres so much gold available in the world. For the rest of the players who are just like you with limited play time, but also don't have the disposable income to exchange real money for fake money, the game forces them out, as they literally cannot afford to compete. That in turn limits the people who get nice and high end gear to those who paid for it using real money, and those who spend hours grinding (who wont stick around much longer since their achievement is being undercut and robbed). Just because other games were able to do it, doesn't mean this one can or should.
    "Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
    [| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
    [| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]