Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Thieving Etiquette and Timers

medusasfolly
medusasfolly
✭✭✭
A couple of questions:

1. I'm constantly running across chests (sacks, barrels) that aren't empty only to find a lockpick. Is it more polite to grab everything and destroy what you don't want or better to leave what you don't want in said container?
2. If you do leave one item in container, does it stay that way until someone takes it or will it randomly reset?
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It stays there. Same with crafting nodes when someone leaves worms. Always take everything so it can respawn sooner. As a side note, y u no play with auto loot enabled?
  • medusasfolly
    medusasfolly
    ✭✭✭
    As a side note, y u no play with auto loot enabled?

I do. Which is why I always questioned a solitary lockpick being left behind. It would seem that it would take more time to selectively theft. But I thought maybe I was missing something. Hence the questions.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotcha. I never understood playing with auto loot off. But I guess some people do and don't loot everything? I dunno. That takes too much time.
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will despawn and then respawn. I assume similar rate to nodes. Which would be about 6 minutes to despawn after interaction and about 5 to respawn.

It's proper etiquette to loot everything, so they can respawn in half the time.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotcha. I never understood playing with auto loot off. But I guess some people do and don't loot everything? I dunno. That takes too much time.

Every time I turn on Auto Loot I end up turning it off. It has to do more with Writs and the other reward Containers as I want to see what's in them before I take stuff out (one container takes up less room than the items inside).

I just hit R to take all, never leave behind bait or lockpicks. It takes longer to cherry pick items than it does to take it all and move on.
    Edited by Nestor on March 22, 2016 3:37PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Elsir
    Elsir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear on a point, with what I'll refer to as "persistent containers" (cupboards, wardrobes, barrels, etc that don't disappear when you loot from them like chests do), what you loot from such containers may not be the same for someone else and are not server-side so once you loot it, someone else can still loot it and may end up with something different.

EG: You and I both walk up to a barrel at a tavern. You open the barrel and see there's Barley inside and take it. The barrel is still possible for me to loot. What I get may or may not be the same thing you got. So, using your example, if we both opened a dresser and there was a lockpick inside for you, you not taking it doesn't necessarily mean I'll get a lockpick. And if you did take it, I can still check the dresser for loot myself.

Edit: Furthermore, leaving the zone and coming back, or logging out and back in while standing at a container, is one way to 'reset' a container for yourself. When a zone is loaded for you though, containers are randomly populated so relogging or rezoning won't ALWAYS reset the exact containers you looted last time you were there, but many of them will be.
    Edited by Elsir on March 22, 2016 3:56PM
    Anna (AKA: Elsir)
    Templar
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsir wrote: »
    Just to be clear on a point, with what I'll refer to as "persistent containers" (cupboards, wardrobes, barrels, etc that don't disappear when you loot from them like chests do), what you loot from such containers may not be the same for someone else

Yep, leaving behind a lockpick in a dresser or night stand or crate or bag is not going to have an effect on anyone else in the game.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"