Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which Laptop for TESO?

The_Legendary_Arya
Hey guys,
after my old laptop doesnt do it anymore cause of TG, i need a new one. Now im looking for one up to 700€ with around the recommended iteams, which are:
Operating System: Windows 7/Windows 8.1 64-bit
Processor: Quad Core 2.3GHz or equivalent processor
System RAM: 4GB
Hard Disk Space: 85GB free HDD space
GPU: Direct X 11.0 compliant video card with 2GB RAM (NVidia GeForce GTX 750 or AMD Radeon HD 7850)
Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
Internet: Internet Broadband Connection

Anyone can help me there maybe? I´ve absolutely no clue about laptops ;) Thank u very much :)
  • GeertKarel
    GeertKarel
    ✭✭✭
    It is very hard to tell I run really high gaming pc that can run all games on 60-100 frames on maximum settings everything maxed out. But for this game when I do trials I get like 20 frames, and that is with shadows and water on off.

When I am doing solo content I get 60-100 frames in this game.
    Server: EU Pact
    Guild: Hodor
  • The_Legendary_Arya
    Well doesnt sound too bad. But i dont want a gaming PC, i just want a normal one which is able to play TESO on ~medium settings. Just has to be playable XD
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd recommend you go with at least 8GB of system RAM. If you don't buy it with 8GB, make sure it is easily upgradable to at least 8GB in the future.
  • The_Legendary_Arya
    Well, are 8 GB so needed? I wont use it much more than gaming.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The move to a 64bit client is in large to support more than 4GB of memory. It is a fair amount of work to make the change to 64bit, so I'm sure it is something they think is important for the (near?) future. That's why at a minimum make sure it can be upgraded to 8GB, even if you buy it with 4GB.
  • The_Legendary_Arya
    smacx250 wrote: »
    The move to a 64bit client is in large to support more than 4GB of memory. It is a fair amount of work to make the change to 64bit, so I'm sure it is something they think is important for the (near?) future. That's why at a minimum make sure it can be upgraded to 8GB, even if you buy it with 4GB.

Okay, thanks for the info :) Maybe anyone is playing on a Laptop with succes and could tell? Or having any information which Laptop would include the recommended iteams?
  • coolmodi
    coolmodi
    ✭✭✭
    Does it really have to be a laptop? On a desktop for the same price you get quite better CPU and 3x the GPU performance. Only get laptops for gaming if you have no other choice.

For 700€ it would be a i5-4xxxM (dual core <3Ghz) and a ~GT940M GPU, on a desktop you'd get a i5-4xxx (quad core >3Ghz) and a GTX960.

My laptop has a i7-3640QM that runs at 3,2Ghz and a GTX660M, playing ESO on that is no fun at all compared to my desktop. It works "ok" with medium-high settings with low shadows, no reflections and 60 view range to save on CPU though.

Edit: Single thread CPU performance is important in this game, fps it is directly limited by how good a single core is. A desktop with a i5-xxxxK CPU with some OC will outperform any laptop there is. I have a i5-3570K@4,6Ghz in my desktop, and the game is still fluid to control in town on primetime where my laptop is just laggy even in the night.

Edit: Just as an example:
    740€ notebook: http://www.computerbase.de/preisvergleich/msi-gp62-2qe-leopard-pro-gp62-2qei585fd-0016j3-sku3-a1332705.html?hloc=at&hloc=de
    670€ desktop: http://www.computerbase.de/preisvergleich/medion-akoya-p5327-h-b522-10020200-a1350567.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

The desktop even comes with a 128GB SSD. A GTX960 is 2,5x as fast as a 950M, the CPU is also better, don't know by how much though, very hard to find benchmarks comparing specific CPUs :)

And I ofc recommend building the PC "yourself", there are countless techforums that help you with making a build, there are also shops that build the PC together from the parts you chose, a friend had to pay 20€ for that service. A custom build with an OC CPU would be the best you can get for ESO.
    Edited by coolmodi on March 16, 2016 1:36AM
  • The_Legendary_Arya
    coolmodi wrote: »
    Does it really have to be a laptop? On a desktop for the same price you get quite better CPU and 3x the GPU performance. Only get laptops for gaming if you have no other choice.

For 700€ it would be a i5-4xxxM (dual core <3Ghz) and a ~GT940M GPU, on a desktop you'd get a i5-4xxx (quad core >3Ghz) and a GTX960.

My laptop has a i7-3640QM that runs at 3,2Ghz and a GTX660M, playing ESO on that is no fun at all compared to my desktop. It works "ok" with medium-high settings with low shadows, no reflections and 60 view range to save on CPU though.

Edit: Single thread CPU performance is important in this game, fps it is directly limited by how good a single core is. A desktop with a i5-xxxxK CPU with some OC will outperform any laptop there is. I have a i5-3570K@4,6Ghz in my desktop, and the game is still fluid to control in town on primetime where my laptop is just laggy even in the night.

Edit: Just as an example:
    740€ notebook: http://www.computerbase.de/preisvergleich/msi-gp62-2qe-leopard-pro-gp62-2qei585fd-0016j3-sku3-a1332705.html?hloc=at&hloc=de
    670€ desktop: http://www.computerbase.de/preisvergleich/medion-akoya-p5327-h-b522-10020200-a1350567.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

The desktop even comes with a 128GB SSD. A GTX960 is 2,5x as fast as a 950M, the CPU is also better, don't know by how much though, very hard to find benchmarks comparing specific CPUs :)

And I ofc recommend building the PC "yourself", there are countless techforums that help you with making a build, there are also shops that build the PC together from the parts you chose, a friend had to pay 20€ for that service. A custom build with an OC CPU would be the best you can get for ESO.

thank u really, really much for the help! Yes, u are right, a desktop PC would be better. But because i need a laptop for studying soon, id just take a laptop and not buy both :) I dont need maximum graphics or things like that, if im able to play game on medium settings with shadow of etc. id be absolutely happy :)
  • damtotb16_ESO
    damtotb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Lenovo Ideapad Y700 is one the best 'budget' gaming laptops out there. Maybe you could customize it to your liking...
    Personally I would get laptop with decent processor and Thunderbolt 3 port for external graphic if you can wait 1-2 months
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really a recommendation (I buy macs for personal use, and linux workstations/servers for work), but something like this will probably meet the recommended specs now, and probably for a while going forward:

http://www.dell.com/us/eep/p/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/pd?oc=dncwpw5723h&model_id=inspiron-15-7559-laptop

Not sure what it cost in Europe - but at the exchange rate it looks to be in the ballpark for what you were looking to spend. You might find something comparable from others for less.
  • The_Legendary_Arya
    smacx250 wrote: »
    Not really a recommendation (I buy macs for personal use, and linux workstations/servers for work), but something like this will probably meet the recommended specs now, and probably for a while going forward:

http://www.dell.com/us/eep/p/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/pd?oc=dncwpw5723h&model_id=inspiron-15-7559-laptop

Not sure what it cost in Europe - but at the exchange rate it looks to be in the ballpark for what you were looking to spend. You might find something comparable from others for less.

Yeah, this seems to me like the perfect Laptop :) Bad that i cant find it in Europe/Germany , because same side in German doesnt sell it anymore. And buying in US doesnt make much sense eh?
    Edited by The_Legendary_Arya on March 16, 2016 4:18PM
  • Marcosyn11
    Marcosyn11
    ✭✭✭
    I have 8GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce 740M 4GB VRAM and an Intel i7 - 3630QM 2.4 GHz. I run the game in 1920x1080 in High/medium settings and have about 20-35 FPS but sometimes it goes to 15 FPS but it's only in ESO. I play other games just fine.
    EU Megaserver - Lusitano
  • The_Legendary_Arya
    So playing is fine? And which laptop u are running? :)
  • Marcosyn11
    Marcosyn11
    ✭✭✭
    It plays fine. My laptop is an ASUS N56V. :)
    EU Megaserver - Lusitano
  • The_Legendary_Arya
    Marcosyn11 wrote: »
    It plays fine. My laptop is an ASUS N56V. :)

Okay cool thanks, do u know the exact Number behind N56V? Cause there are just soo many different laptops..and can anyone agree on it? :)
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on a i5 6300hq, 8 gb ram, gtx 960m. All on high, 1080p, all effects on, draw distance 60 and go from 25fps in cities at the lowest to 60fps at best in less busy areas (dungeons tend to be in the 35-60 range depending on how many effects are on screen etc.

Mass pvp can kill it on these settings so I wack shadows off and it runs fine. My laptop cost me £680 so not far off but getting a 950m and maybe even an i3 could help lower the cost. I built mine on a uk website.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• The_Legendary_Arya
    Okay thanks for info :)
  • The_Legendary_Arya
    Nvidia GeForce 950M should be good enough for TESO ye? :)
  • The_Legendary_Arya
    I found now a laptop i think would suit, could anyone tell me please if this would be able to run ESO on medium settings&playable PvP ? :)
    http://www.amazon.de/dp/B015O591OG
  • The_Legendary_Arya
    push, could anyone help me maybe? :)
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found now a laptop i think would suit, could anyone tell me please if this would be able to run ESO on medium settings&playable PvP ? :)
    http://www.amazon.de/dp/B015O591OG
    It's hard for me to say for sure as I don't have one, but looking at the specs compared to my laptop (that one is better), yes, I'd think that it should run fine.
  • The_Legendary_Arya
    Okay cool, thank u very much for that! Will try it with that one then, cause the inspiron one isnt getable :/