The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is it possible to bind Arrowkeys to look around?

Leolin
Leolin
Soul Shriven
I have a trackpad not a physical mouse on this laptop and it is far more natural to me to move with WASD, move the camera around with the arrow keys and click the mouse to attack with my thumbs. Having to constantly look around with the trackpad AND attack makes it really difficult to target and move so I'm wondering if theres any way to switch the mouselook to the arrows. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
  • Rva_Kun
    Rva_Kun
    ✭✭✭
    ESC > Control > Keybindings <- check in there.
    Actions Speak Louder Than Words.
    Fear Over The Internet = Priceless.
    Correcting Ego's Since 03'
    NA > EU

• Leolin
    Leolin
    Soul Shriven
    thank you! I did check in there. It has 'mouse lookaround' with MMB (i think) as the default. basically just means the whole mouse. I tried to change it to different keys but none of them did anything, and I could only put one key in. I didn't see anything for 'look left/right/up/down' like most games have so I wasn't sure exactly if I could. :neutral:

i've been searching online and aside from a complicated work around for the PC using AutoHotKey I've found nothing :(
  • Rva_Kun
    Rva_Kun
    ✭✭✭
    Leolin wrote: »
    thank you! I did check in there. It has 'mouse lookaround' with MMB (i think) as the default. basically just means the whole mouse. I tried to change it to different keys but none of them did anything, and I could only put one key in. I didn't see anything for 'look left/right/up/down' like most games have so I wasn't sure exactly if I could. :neutral:

i've been searching online and aside from a complicated work around for the PC using AutoHotKey I've found nothing :(

Why would you want to use Arrow Keys anyway?
    Actions Speak Louder Than Words.
    Fear Over The Internet = Priceless.
    Correcting Ego's Since 03'
    NA > EU

• MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, though I understand what you're trying to do here, I don't think ESO combat translates very well to that setup. ESO's combat is very active and in more difficult scenarios will require blocking (default - RMB) AND interrupting (default - LMB+RMB). You say that you typically tap to attack on your trackpad, but how will you accomplish blocks and interrupts as well?

Your best bet may be to pick up a relatively inexpensive travel-size mouse, either wireless or with a retractable cable.
  • Leolin
    Leolin
    Soul Shriven
    Rva_Kun wrote: »

Because I play on a macbook, without a mouse. And usually not in a place where I can easily take out a mouse to use. So I have to use the trackpad. That doesn't give me a lot of room and since its centered (directly below the spacebar) on my laptop makes hand positions pretty awkward lol

wow, I was going to say thanks but I use a mac and that won't work, but I did some searching on 'mouse keys' for mac and found this: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21494?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US (linking for anyone who comes across this thread trying to do what I did.) So awesome! Thank you so much, I'll definitely come back and reply if it worked or not once I try it out.

nudel wrote: »

It really just has to do with how I/We grew accustomed to using a computer. I haven't used an actual mouse since 2007. Almost never. I didn't need to, I could customize everything to work with the way I use a keyboard. So when I got into this game it translated a little awkwardly for me because I rest both hands on the keys and put my thumbs on the trackpad. I don't know if everyone here knows how to use a macbook but i've got my trackpad set up so that a lite push = RMB and a hard push = LMB, which I can do with my left thumb while i use the fingers to control the WASD. then interrupting (both buttons) is set to be a click to the top right of the pad with my right thumb. (though I had to reassign it to my command button for the time being)

However, with the way it is now, the trackpad is all the mouse buttons PLUS the camera movement and its really awkward to use it for all those things at once. I can't look around AND click, because when I click it stops the camera. So it's actually hindering my active combat. And I can't reassign the mouse clicks to keys because I continuously need my left hand on the trackpad to work the camera so I can see whats going on, my right hands on WASD and so I'd STILL have to sacrifice one thing for the other. So if I can just move the camera look around to the arrow keys, I can look around, walk around and have my thumbs at the ready to attack.

Sorry I wrote a novel... anyway, it might not make sense to you but trust me when I say it will make my gameplay 10000x better and more enjoyable and easier to experience it the way it was meant to be.

If the link up there doesn't work though, you're right. I'm just going to have to suck it up and get a mouse. Even though the times I have a place to use a mouse are very very slim. lol

I will reply back with the results of the 'mouse key' link up there. Thanks everyone!