Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Storing surveys

mistermutiny89
mistermutiny89
✭✭✭✭✭
Is there any good reason why we can't store more than one of the same survey in our bank?

I understand not having two of the same in your backpack, you need to leave a zone and come back in after using one to use another from your bank but I don't see the reason behind not stacking them in your private bank.

For someone like me with seven master crafters I prefer to set a good couple of hours bi weekly to recover surveys. Having to farm surveys between them individually is ridiculous.

The rule is in place for backpacks, please just consider removing it in our personal bank.
Guild Leader : Defenders Of Miley
XB1 EU
EP | VR16 Breton NB -mistermutiny
AD | VR16 Dunmer DK - Grigori
AD | VR16 Altmer Sorcerer - Isvoleet
AD | VR16 Imperial DK - Leonidas
AD | VR16 Bosmer NB - Hood
AD | VR16 Breton Templar - Dante
AD | VR16 Redguard Sorcerer - Raiden
AD | VR7 Khajiit Templar - Ike'ilyew
DC | 160 Breton NB - Vergil

"Hmmm... Very convincing.. Does the illusion apply to.. Everywhere? Perhaps this one should have a moment alone in private to double check" - Razum'Dar
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you need to leave a zone and come back in after using one to use another

You don't need to rezone, just move far enough away from the survey location to not be able to see it then the new survey will spawn.

As for storing the excess surveys, I just keep them in the writ containers. They take up the same bag space as a survey map does, but I can keep dozens of surveys for the same location. Can't bank the writ reward containers so they have to stay on the character.

As for why they can only be one at a time, is the survey spawns when you put the map into your inventory. It will probably cause all kinds of issues with the game trying to spawn multiple surveys at one location at once. We already have issues in the game if you don't complete a survey but open a survey for a map for that same location in sometimes loosing the second survey and what was left on the first.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• mistermutiny89
    mistermutiny89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    you need to leave a zone and come back in after using one to use another

You don't need to rezone, just move far enough away from the survey location to not be able to see it then the new survey will spawn.

As for storing the excess surveys, I just keep them in the writ containers. They take up the same bag space as a survey map does, but I can keep dozens of surveys for the same location. Can't bank the writ reward containers so they have to stay on the character.

As for why they can only be one at a time, is the survey spawns when you put the map into your inventory. It will probably cause all kinds of issues with the game trying to spawn multiple surveys at one location at once. We already have issues in the game if you don't complete a survey but open a survey for a map for that same location in sometimes loosing the second survey and what was left on the first.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately storing them that way is all too common for me. There's just no end to the walls put up to make things more difficult and headache ensuing. Got a specific distance for Wrothgar handy? Because I've wasted surveys in northern Wrothgar from a trip to the city and back to blacksmith 3 survey. May as well fast travel out of the zone.

They'd see these issues if they played the way the community does. The abundance of crashes on Wrothgar loading screens for Xbox is making it all the worse. Please tell me we can do writs at Hew's Bane?
    Guild Leader : Defenders Of Miley
    XB1 EU
    EP | VR16 Breton NB -mistermutiny
    AD | VR16 Dunmer DK - Grigori
    AD | VR16 Altmer Sorcerer - Isvoleet
    AD | VR16 Imperial DK - Leonidas
    AD | VR16 Bosmer NB - Hood
    AD | VR16 Breton Templar - Dante
    AD | VR16 Redguard Sorcerer - Raiden
    AD | VR7 Khajiit Templar - Ike'ilyew
    DC | 160 Breton NB - Vergil

"Hmmm... Very convincing.. Does the illusion apply to.. Everywhere? Perhaps this one should have a moment alone in private to double check" - Razum'Dar
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a specific distance for Wrothgar handy?

The distance, just the next cell over. It is not far at all. Less than 3 seconds on a horse.

Here is what I do. I collect the survey, then open the next map for that location by pulling it from the container. Then I jog away from the survey location until I can't see it, then go back. You should see the spawns before you get back. But the distance is like 100 meters if that, but that could all depend on the cell, the border of the cell and where the survey is. But it really is not far.

An example of how far is the distance from the bridge to the front door of the Hostel where you get your dailies, it is really not far at all.

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Got a specific distance for Wrothgar handy?

The distance, just the next cell over. It is not far at all. Less than 3 seconds on a horse.

Here is what I do. I collect the survey, then open the next map for that location by pulling it from the container. Then I jog away from the survey location until I can't see it, then go back. You should see the spawns before you get back. But the distance is like 100 meters if that, but that could all depend on the cell, the border of the cell and where the survey is. But it really is not far.

An example of how far is the distance from the bridge to the front door of the Hostel where you get your dailies, it is really not far at all.

There's at least one alchemy survey in Crag that doesn't work like that. It's the one that's closest to Dragonstar and is on a small island. I can harvest the survey nodes, and then swim all the way across the lake back to the wayshrine, but when I then go back, it still hasn't respawned. I have better luck if I ride all the way to the Dragonstar wayshrine and then back.

Easiest, really, is just to open the new survey, then log out/in. I do this for the Clothing III survey in Crag, which is really hard to get to and involves getting through a couple of bandit mobs. My character still can't really handle them all that well, so I just run through to the survey area, let them kill me, harvest the nodes, open a new survey, log out/in. So, I usually wait until I have several of these before going to collect them.

EDIT: sorry for getting off topic a bit. As to the OPs comment, I agree that it would be nice to have a better option of storing these surveys prior to going out to collect them. I'd rather do several at a time than go out every day to harvest them.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on March 4, 2016 7:52PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

There's at least one alchemy survey in Crag that doesn't work like that. It's the one that's closest to Dragonstar and is on a small island. I can harvest the survey nodes, and then swim all the way across the lake back to the wayshrine, but when I then go back, it still hasn't respawned. I have better luck if I ride all the way to the Dragonstar wayshrine and then back.

With that one, I just ride north a ways to the hill, go around the rock and then come back. I have done multiple surveys at that location that way. Go across the sand bar or ford in the lake, go straight North and you will see the hill with a big rock on it (usually has a couple mat nodes at the base) then go back to the survey location. Don't go as far as the mobs that are just a bit north of that location.

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

With that one, I just ride north a ways to the hill, go around the rock and then come back. I have done multiple surveys at that location that way. Go across the sand bar or ford in the lake, go straight North and you will see the hill with a big rock on it (usually has a couple mat nodes at the base) then go back to the survey location. Don't go as far as the mobs that are just a bit north of that location.

Thanks for the tip @Nestor!