Need help tweaking my Templar Healer Build

zpadela
zpadela
Soul Shriven
Hello fellow citizens of Tamriel!

I just hit the veteran levels recently and have been working on creating my own healer build so I can take on veteran dungeons. I was hoping I could get some feedback on what skills I should be focusing on.

I'm a Breton Templar and currently have 10 points in health with the rest in Magicka. I've picked up all the passives for my class trees, light armor passives, Breton racial passives, and all the resto staff passives. In terms gear I'm currently running 5 seducers and 3 magnus with a resto staff on both bars. I run 5 light with 2 heavy on my chest and shoulders. I plan to swap in law of julianos for my seducers once I get all my research traits up.

The part I'm having more trouble with is what active skills to slot. Here is my current planned setup:

Front Bar: Resto Staff
- Blazing Spear
- Mystic Orb (Once I unlock it, almost there)
- Channeled Focus
- Inner Light
- Breath of Life
- Remembrance

For this bar I plan on using it every few seconds to drop a spear/orb and switch to it whenever I start running low on mana or need big heals with Remembrance.

Back Bar:
- Puncturing Sweeps
- Purifying Light
- Radiant Oppression
- Inner Light
- Breath of Life
- Solar Prison

This is the bar I am unsure of and would love some insight on what I should keep or remove. I would mainly use this bar in between casting the support skills on the first bar or when I don't need to be constantly healing.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks :)

• Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    Well I recommend running resto/destroy, resto will have all your healing abilities and destroy will have your support. Id say drop breath of life on your back bar (destro) and run Elemental drain if you have any magika users in your group or run repentence (if the stamplar isn't already running it) when you have stam users in your group.

Instead of Julianos id recommend Kagnracs Hope. The spell power and increase rez speed is too beautiful especially for vet dungeons.

So it would generally be

5p Kagr
    helm and shoulder Torug (until you get Molag Kena)
    Weapons Torug until you get Master weapons. Than replace with 1p Molag (helm or shoulder) and 1p monster set(with HP Bonus)..
    Arcane Willpower rings and ammy with spell power glyph.
    Atronach Mundus will give you just enough magika regen, I run with 1100 with no issues so its whatever you feel safe with. All pieces of gear SHOULD be infused (for more spell power from magika) but use divines base on how much magika regen you need. Like I said I run with 1100 so that's 3p Divine on purp gear haha.

I know this is messy but im at work so meh. Hope it helps.
  • JasminaChillibeaner
    Sorry in advance about the formatting, I'm new to these forums and I'm on mobile.

Here's my build: http://constellation.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11073593&gid=491597

I know you really only wanted skills advice so I'll write them out here too.

- Destro Bar -
    1: Mystic Orbs
    2: Elemental Drain
    3: Luminous Shards
    4: Inner Light
    5: Harness Magicka
    U: Solar Prison

- Resto Bar -
    1: Repentance
    2: Combat Prayer
    3: Healing Springs
    5: Breath of Life
    U: Aggressive Horn

This is a really supportive setup so instead of trying to do DPS you're buffing your group's damage dealers instead. When you have the rotation down they'll always have plenty enough resources.
    If your group lacks DPS I'd slot Radiant Oppression over Luminous Shards.
    PC/EU/EP
    Leader of Constellation
    PvE Templar Healer and Achievement Hunter
  • Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry in advance about the formatting, I'm new to these forums and I'm on mobile.

Here's my build: http://constellation.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11073593&gid=491597

I know you really only wanted skills advice so I'll write them out here too.

- Destro Bar -
    1: Mystic Orbs
    2: Elemental Drain
    3: Luminous Shards
    5: Harness Magicka
    U: Solar Prison

- Resto Bar -
    1: Repentance
    2: Combat Prayer
    3: Healing Springs
    5: Breath of Life
    U: Aggressive Horn

This is a really supportive setup so instead of trying to do DPS you're buffing your group's damage dealers instead. When you have the rotation down they'll always have plenty enough resources.
    If your group lacks DPS I'd slot Radiant Oppression over Luminous Shards.

This is almost exactly my build. This is not a build for the kids you follow the "meta" and say that healers NEED to dps.. they don't. This is a pure support/healer build and is what the good players expect from a healer. Not only are you keeping them alive but you are keeping their resources sustained so your group can pump out more dps. War Horn should be used over Prison, prison should be used when too many adds are overwhelming the group.
  • zpadela
    zpadela
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the advice guys! I ran my first vet pledge today. I slotted in Combat Prayer and Purifying Ritual instead of Puncturing Sweeps and Radiant Oppression and it was honestly a piece of cake.

I'm still a little hesitant about not having breath of life on both bars but this is my current setup.

Resto Staff Bar:
    - Blazing Spear
    - Combat Prayer
    - Purifying Light (Gonna replace with mystic orb once I get it)
    - BoL
    - Magelight
    - Practiced Incantation

Dual Wield:
    - Channeled Focus
    - Extended Ritual
    - Purifying Light
    - BoL
    - Magelight
    - Solar Prison

Basically I drop CF/Extended Ritual, switch to resto staff, drop shards and combat prayer and apply purifying light on targets as needed. I use BoL when people take bigger hits. I am considering switching to a destro staff instead of dual wield and using Elemental Drain instead of Purifying Light, but does it really make that huge of a difference? Do I really need it if I plan on running Mystic Orb? I like the bonus damage I get from Purifying Light and use it to proc Illuminate. It also provides a small heal as a bonus.
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to have Elemental Drain on your bar full time then I'd swap out Magelight. That would also free up another slot for Repentance which is good for restoring stamina to your party members.

Mystic Orb's is good for dealing with groups of trash mobs but with boss fights using Spirit Syphon and Elemental Drain would be better as party members tend to get spread out and move around more so it's easier to miss activating the synergy. Plus unless the boss spawns multiple adds throughout the fight you really wont get the best use from Mystic Orb. The magica returned wouldn't justify the cost of using it.

Edited by Fruitmass on February 29, 2016 12:33AM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • zpadela
    zpadela
    Soul Shriven
    I see. Guess I'll switch to destro staff then. Do you recommend running both Siphon Spirit and Elemental Drain or just one? Also what is the cool down between shard synergies? And should I keep Blazing Spear for the extra damage or would luminous be better?
  • Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    zpadela wrote: »
    I see. Guess I'll switch to destro staff then. Do you recommend running both Siphon Spirit and Elemental Drain or just one? Also what is the cool down between shard synergies? And should I keep Blazing Spear for the extra damage or would luminous be better?

I strongly recommend destro staff with elemental drain always up. SS isn't as strong as it sounds but could help if you want to use one of your "flex" spots. Cool down between shards is ~15-20 secs. Blazing spear is a very nice one due to the stun (to help you when adds are on you) and damage is nice as well.

Someone said to drop magelight and I strongly recommend NOT to, That extra crit is the difference between life and death sometimes. You don't need BoL on both bars because you should not be spamming it. Think of BoL as your "oh ***" button and spam a different skill such as healing springs. Healing springs is a very very VERY strong heal. It sounds like it doesn't do much because it doesn't last long BUT what most people don't know is that you can stack up to 3 healing springs at a time for a HUGE aoe heal. Also the more you heal the more mana you get back :).
  • zpadela
    zpadela
    Soul Shriven
    Hmmm soo many good skills not enough slots D:

How does this look?

Restoration Bar:
    - Inner Light
    - Healing Springs
    - Combat Prayer
    - Purifying Light
    - Rune Focus

Destruction Bar:
    - Inner Light
    - Breath of Life
    - Blazing Spear
    - Elemental Drain
    - Extended Ritual

Okay this is what I'm looking at as of right now. My restoration bar would be where I spend most of my time spamming Purifying Light/Healing Springs/ and keeping up Combat Prayer

After 10-15 seconds I can switch to my destruction bar to reapply Elemental Drain, refresh extended ritual, drop a few spears or switch to it if I need big BoL heals.

Also should I be casting Elemental Drain on anything and everything or mostly just for bosses? Right now I pretty much try and apply Purifying Light on at least 3-4 targets so I get a bunch of pools everywhere.
  • Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭

How does this look?

Restoration Bar:
    - Inner Light
    - Healing Springs
    - Combat Prayer
    - Purifying Light
    - Rune Focus

Destruction Bar:
    - Inner Light
    - Breath of Life
    - Blazing Spear
    - Elemental Drain
    - Extended Ritual

Okay this is what I'm looking at as of right now. My restoration bar would be where I spend most of my time spamming Purifying Light/Healing Springs/ and keeping up Combat Prayer

After 10-15 seconds I can switch to my destruction bar to reapply Elemental Drain, refresh extended ritual, drop a few spears or switch to it if I need big BoL heals.

Also should I be casting Elemental Drain on anything and everything or mostly just for bosses? Right now I pretty much try and apply Purifying Light on at least 3-4 targets so I get a bunch of pools everywhere.

There is no constant bar you should stay on. Switch it up based on what groups you are running with or what dungeon you are running. An example would be if running with a Tank and 2 stam dps, you have no true need for elemental drain. Maybe swapping to repentance will benefit more you know? Ill give you my bar: (this is until I get spell power cure set)

*Means they are "flex" skills, you can change these to whatever you want to adapt to the situation you are currently in.

Resto:
    Channeled Focus
    Healing Springs
    Inner Light (Magelight morph I think)
    Breath of Light
    *Combat Prayer (Depending on situation ill swap this with other skills like Harness Magika, Purifying Light, Etc..)
    Ulti : Aggressive Horn (War Horn morph)

Desto:
    Blazing Spear
    Purifying Light (Gives Minor Sorcery)
    Inner Light
    Structured Entropy (From Mage tree to give Major Sorcery)
    *Elemental Drain (Swap with Repentance or anything else you need.
    Ulti: Solar Prison

And elemental drain (assuming you have magika dps in group) would benefit the more mobs you have it on. Because while the dps is casting aoes, hes getting mana back from everything its hitting. So keeping them sustained on resources means they don't have to stop or slow down for catch up, which in the end means they are doing more damage. So the more you have drain up the better. But of course prioritize and keep them alive 1st haha.

I usually start off when we are running in but hitting purifying light ONCE, just to give my group minor sorcery. Then structured entropy ONCE just to give me major sorcery, then ill start dropping as many elemental drains as I can until I need to heal. Toss a few healing springs, shard, and repeat when needed to keep all buffs and debuffs up. I hope this helps.
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    I stack both Spirit Syphon and Elemental Drain for boss fights and I use Luminous Shards over Blazing but there isn't exactly a 100% hard and fast rule on that. Depending on situation and group composition what skills are used can vary. There's nothing that says you can't add some more dps to your repertoire if you feel you can manage it without compromising your ability to heal, buff and refresh resources for your group members.
  • Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    Fruitmass wrote: »
    I stack both Spirit Syphon and Elemental Drain for boss fights and I use Luminous Shards over Blazing but there isn't exactly a 100% hard and fast rule on that. Depending on situation and group composition what skills are used can vary. There's nothing that says you can't add some more dps to your repertoire if you feel you can manage it without compromising your ability to heal, buff and refresh resources for your group members.

Exactly, It all depends on the people you run with. If you have a group of people you roll with often and you know they can handle themselves. You can probably even put on a dps skill in place of the flex skill. Maybe even a Radiant Oppression (Jesus Beam). Some fights im just sitting there spamming healing springs on the ground for no reason because I want to look like im doing something. So I have to remind my self to put on Jesus Beam or something else that would help out haha. You will learn in time, until then try out the build I just posted and beast some dungeons.
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sunah wrote: »
    Fruitmass wrote: »

Exactly, It all depends on the people you run with. If you have a group of people you roll with often and you know they can handle themselves. You can probably even put on a dps skill in place of the flex skill. Maybe even a Radiant Oppression (Jesus Beam). Some fights im just sitting there spamming healing springs on the ground for no reason because I want to look like im doing something. So I have to remind my self to put on Jesus Beam or something else that would help out haha. You will learn in time, until then try out the build I just posted and beast some dungeons.

Aye, the common theme for each healer is to provide support to your party, though the exact specifics on how to do that may vary from one person to the next. Guides are always nice to get a general idea of what to do but nothing beats practice and experience.

So go out there and get your hands dirty. Find your style and become the best healer you can be! Cause lord knows we need as many as we can get. :D
  • Alabyn
    Alabyn
    ✭✭✭

How does this look?

Restoration Bar:
    - Inner Light
    - Healing Springs
    - Combat Prayer
    - Purifying Light
    - Rune Focus

Destruction Bar:
    - Inner Light
    - Breath of Life
    - Blazing Spear
    - Elemental Drain
    - Extended Ritual

Regarding combat prayer: NBs can provide the minor berserk buff themselves (ambush), so check your group composition and consider removing it if they're night blades. Of course, combat prayer offers a decent heal and some defense as well.
  • zpadela
    zpadela
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you so much for the advice guys! I've been running Vet Dungeons everyday now and they're all going so well. I gotta say the healing role is super fun. Between heals, restoring resources and providing buffs, and damage I feel like I'm always doing something different and its so much more fun than DPS. Glad I'm playing a templar :)
  • Kozai
    Kozai
    ✭✭✭
    Sunah wrote: »
    I usually start off when we are running in but hitting purifying light ONCE, just to give my group minor sorcery. Then structured entropy ONCE just to give me major sorcery, then ill start dropping as many elemental drains as I can until I need to heal. Toss a few healing springs, shard, and repeat when needed to keep all buffs and debuffs up. I hope this helps.

Another option I've been experimenting with is using Vampire's Bane, the morph of Sun Fire, instead of Inner Light, since they both give the Major Prophecy crit bonus. Downside, no +5% Magika like Inner Light, upside, extra DoT damage and I free up a slot on one bar for something else.

• puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    Well you really only need BoL, Rep, Shards and Healing springs (maybe)..
    Once thieves guild hits that may change.

Your original build is the one I run, except i add repentance and change out the Ultimate.
    Dual Wield/Resto. Having Destro for basically one skill seems not productive.

Course I do a lot of DPS unless I need to heal, plus PvP.
    For PvP just swap out Dark Flare for Rep and you are good to go for that and will wreck from 20 meters out.

GL!!

• The_Tip
    The_Tip
    ✭✭✭
    I used to hate not having breath of life on both bars myself, but you run puncturing sweeps on the bar you don't have breath of life on. OR you can slot Repentance, free Heal, plus Stam, and boosts your recovery of all 3 stats by 10%. Once you get used to it, you'll be fine, and Sweeps is an easy way to still feel like breath is their even when it's not.
  • Moozzie
    Moozzie
    ✭✭
    Why would you have 1 medium and 1 heavy armor piece as a healer?
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    The "Undaunted Mettle" passive skill gives a 1%/2% bonus to health, stamina and magica per armor type you wear. So by going with 5 light, 1 medium and 1 heavy you'd be able to get the full effect from the passive.
    Edited by Fruitmass on March 20, 2016 3:00PM