The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

My set up

J4YDEE
J4YDEE
Hi all, I am currently running my main character as a nightblade, one hand and shield, and bow as my second weapon choice. I use medium armor and sneak around a lot getting the bonus for that. Is medium armor best for Type type of setup? What difference will heavy armor make, as it looks cooler. Or does the medium armor look better as I get higher. I'm level 39.

Best Answer

• Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're correct, mainly medium armour is the way to go for stealthy StaminaNBs. However, when you unlock Undaunted Mettle (Undaunted skill line) you should consider using 5 medium, 1 heavy and 1 light as the benefits from this passive arguably outweigh the lost benefit from 2 medium armour pieces. When you do this, you should have your chest as heavy (because of the larger armour stat compared to other pieces) and waist as light (lower armour stat). As the chest will be heavy, this should satisfy your aesthetic requirement as well.

Using the 5/1/1 process whilst levelling and before Undaunted Mettle is unlocked isn't a bad idea either (especially if items have the training perk) as it will mean that you have levelled up the skill trees and can make use of the passives.

That's the typical process anyway, but you can just use all heavy if you like. I mean, yeah.. you'll miss out on a significant amount of benefits from the medium armour passives which will hinder your output - but for me, unless I look good I'm not getting as much enjoyment anyway.

Additional bit of advice.. Whilst sword and shield is good, you may want to consider switching to either dual wield or 2h. DW has a great AoE ability (steel tornado) whilst 2h has Rally (buff which increases damage and heals you - great for a StaminaNb who typically have extremely low health) and great single target damage. Personally I use 2h and bow.

But as with the armour types, it's all personal preference and you need to enjoy what you're playing with! :)

Let me know if you have any other class or build questions.
    Answer ✓
  • J4YDEE
    J4YDEE
    'Awesome' advice, thanks mate, I may give u a shout with other stuff
  • J4YDEE
    J4YDEE
    A bit further, I'm level 39, would it be a bit late to start DW or 2H as I'm level 44 1h & shield. Or will I level it up super quick as I'm higher level?
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    J4YDEE wrote: »
    A bit further, I'm level 39, would it be a bit late to start DW or 2H as I'm level 44 1h & shield. Or will I level it up super quick as I'm higher level?

Just craft some training DW weapons and go grind for a while. Make sure to have as many DW skills on your active bar as possible (even if you don't use them). If you hand quests in, load up your bar with all DW stuff and it will level really quickly.

With the TG patch they will be introducing the Alliance motif. The great thing about that is even the medium armour has a slight feel of "heavy" to it, so it could be worth looking at that. The Xivkyn medium is really nice too.
    I wouldn't give up the benefits of Medium just for cosmetics, especially on a stamina nightblade. If you want to be a pure tank, then sure, but if you want to DPS, you want as much medium as possible.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alternatively, if you want the look of heavy armour, try the costumes and polys. I sometimes use the Heavy Armour Xivkyn (Dreadguard) on mine

e5pjaEi.jpg
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Alternatively, if you want the look of heavy armour, try the costumes and polys. I sometimes use the Heavy Armour Xivkyn (Dreadguard) on mine

e5pjaEi.jpg

I want that...so much.

How many boxes did that take?
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...