The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help with magicka Templar in PvP

lsheppardl8
Currently I am running 5 kags 2 engine guardian 3 willpower with dw toruges swords and back back 2 piece seducer.

I struggle going against stam builds so I try and keep javelin on my bar for the instant CC when they are up close. I am new to playing a templar and only started it about 2 weeks ago. If anyone has some advice on how I should set up my front bar and back bar skills that would be greatly appreciated.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm stam do a high amount of dmg against magplars, so i'd suggest getting channeled focus for the armour and regen.

Try cc them, use a dark flare to open, use toppling charge (pray it works), your sweeps do a nice amount of dmg and will cc them (for now) leading to another sweeps.

Just focus on not dying, go watch blabafat on youtube, he'a good magicka templar.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    As a MagPlar I don't think there is any reason to get in close. 1x1 is very difficult against most builds unless you are at range and pray they don't have a gap closer to use on you.

Dark Flare, Blaz Spear after popping focus is what you want to do. I think you might be on the right track with Javelin to push them back.

We have no burst up close, sweeps is terrible for the most part in PvP/shields so I always try and stay 20 meters away or so and hope they don't gap close you.

You are the dark flare destroyer and spear stunner and then you would be popping radiant frequent and often when 30-40% or below.

I should of mentioned that is you are a Vampire you have more flexibility since you can escape but then that is another set of issues with dawnbreaker and silver bolts..
    Edited by puffy99 on February 22, 2016 9:32PM
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    puffy99 wrote: »
    As a MagPlar I don't think there is any reason to get in close. 1x1 is very difficult against most builds unless you are at range and pray they don't have a gap closer to use on you.

Dark Flare, Blaz Spear after popping focus is what you want to do. I think you might be on the right track with Javelin to push them back.

We have no burst up close, sweeps is terrible for the most part in PvP/shields so I always try and stay 20 meters away or so and hope they don't gap close you.

You are the dark flare destroyer and spear stunner and then you would be popping radiant frequent and often when 30-40% or below.

I should of mentioned that is you are a Vampire you have more flexibility since you can escape but then that is another set of issues with dawnbreaker and silver bolts..

Sweeps is great on anything without a shield ^^. We do have some burst, you'd be suprised how good a flare/sweeps/proxy is, thats not even counting dawnbreaker or radiant opression.

Fun fact about radiant, the first tick is always a crit, like @puffy99 said, pop it when there 40%~ if it doesn't kill them outright the first tick will always knock them 25% or below so the next tick will kill them. Next patch it will also be undodgeable.

Problem with flare spam is it's easily interuptable, slow to cast, slot travel time, can be reflected by dk's or anything with a s+b. It's a great opener or when someone is healing or such to add a bit of pressure and put on major defile before you gap close back in there and go to work with sweeps.

Like i said go look at @blabafat videos for good magplay pvp.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭

Yeah good points-
    just another reason why ESO needs a swappable character template for PvE v PvP.

Maybe if I did a complete gear change every time I went into Cyrodill it would help.
    Magelight vs inner light, impen vs devines etc...

Not sure on that top charge gap closer though... stlil not sold..
    I tried it a while back and it was pretty much the worst and very frustrating.

lol
  • LizardThixvim
    LizardThixvim
    ✭✭✭
    get rid of seducer 2, and engine 2, and replace with magnus 4
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I personally like to get in close as a magplar, as soon as I see an enemy, I charge in xD I seem to change my clothes on a weekly basis, but at the moment I like 5 kags, 2 torugs, 1 kena, 3 willpower and 3 endurance with 2 swords and 1h and shield. I am also quite into wearing a couple of pieces of medium armour on my templar at the moment. I find the buffs from it help quite a bit. (for pve I use completely different clothes. 1 set for heals, 1 set for dps and 1 set for tanking :smile: )
    Edited by Elara_Northwind on February 25, 2016 1:54AM
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently I am running 5 kags 2 engine guardian 3 willpower with dw toruges swords and back back 2 piece seducer.

I struggle going against stam builds so I try and keep javelin on my bar for the instant CC when they are up close. I am new to playing a templar and only started it about 2 weeks ago. If anyone has some advice on how I should set up my front bar and back bar skills that would be greatly appreciated.

sword and shield. channeled focus and purifying ritual with sweeps, spear and breath of life on main bar. channeled and ritual give armor and bonus healing to your sweeps and breath of life. tossing spear at your feet gives a nice dot and cc. remember to keep pressure on with sweeps. make them stary healing and dodging. if you go defensive too much they will just out dps your heals and fear/cc u.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    puffy99 wrote: »

Problem is you have 0 mobility as magplar so you cant just avoid getting in close. You cant kite at all since you lack both movement speed buff or some kind of teleport, so playing ranged caster just doesn't work atm. If you manage to get out of their hit range, they just cap close and back in again.

Dark Flare is a decent group skill, to help take down priority targets. But it will always be interrupted/bashed by mele opponents 1v1. Sorcs usually run Crushing Shock, so they can do the same. DK's can reflect it. You just wont get that skill of any time soon, if you have people attacking you.

Puncturing Sweep is much better for main dmg. But it takes a lot of training and tears to get it working somewhat, mainly positioning and how to hit a moving target with a clunky cone skill :cold_sweat:
  • Enraged_Tiki_Torch
    Enraged_Tiki_Torch
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on what class your going against, you will have to slot in certain abilities over others.

Here is my base bar last build I ran (for example).

BAR ONE : DPS (2 Hander)

1 - Dark Flare
    2 - Toppling Charge (Slot in Stampede when I am frustrated with this ability)
    3 - Puncturing Sweep
    4 - Radiant Oppression
    5 - Volcanic Rune
    U - Ice Comet

BAR TWO : SURVIVE/BUFF (Resto)

1 - Proximity Detonation
    2 - Purifying Light
    3 - Healing Ward
    4 - Harness Magicka
    5 - Purifying Ritual
    U - Dawnbreaker of Smiting

This lineup is all about burst damage which is what you want to do against Stam builds. If you can get a Flare - Charge - Sweep - Dawnbreaker with Purifying Light exploding just after Prox Det. You can one shot just about anyone. It's overkill in many ways. You got enough survivability from Ward, Harness, Ritual, and Sweep. Purifying Light also gets you a small heal. You just have be good with jabs against someone who is in your face and doesn't stand there like a statue.

Volcanic Rune helps against aggressive melee dps too. Think of it kinda like Deadric Mines but it also gives you the Empower proc. For that reason it is great against Sorcs who like to sit in their mines. You can use Blazing Spear instead but you lose the Empower proc which can set up for kill combo with the first Dark Flare being Empowered.

Another way to start it off is if you have an ultimate: An Empowered Ice Comet if you CC them prior is usually GG and you can't be interrupted like you can with Dark Flare.

If your good at animation cancelling by bar swapping, the combo of Rune -> swap to Dawn ->cancel swap to Radiant Oppression will do massive damage RQ.

Against Shield stackers, I switch out Purifying Light for Eclipse. If you need more defense, switch it out for Rune Focus. Use Honor of the Dead if you need heals (going against a WW), but don't rely on them. Once you start spamming heals your dead. Very easy for a DPS to out DPS your heals, especially with Defile.

Wrobel was right. Make it a very bad idea to come into your house. lol
    Edited by Enraged_Tiki_Torch on February 28, 2016 2:08AM
    My solution to Champion Point System here
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭

4 magnus 3 torugs or 5 kagrenacs 2 torugs, woll power swords and 1 jewelry tives higher spell damage than crafted swords. 2 rings of cyrodill light spell harm enchant, recovery food dna atronach. structured entropy.
    spam dark flares, if you feel solo play fits you, stop! magplars belong in groups. CP aswell, you need sustain julianos is a joke! V16? legendary everything we templars need every bit of spell power. I switched to stam wiping nearly every sorc i run into, best choice i made on this game. punc strikes are a joke spam it 3 times to nearly match 1 snipe or 1 Wrecking blow, thats precious time lost to you 90% of the time i see magplars wiped due to no DPS Up close. hows your house now?
    NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • Enraged_Tiki_Torch
    Enraged_Tiki_Torch
    ✭✭✭
    punc strikes are a joke spam it 3 times to nearly match 1 snipe or 1 Wrecking blow, thats precious time lost to you 90% of the time i see magplars wiped due to no DPS Up close. hows your house now?

If I see a Templar doing that, I know they are PvE players. I get what your saying but it is shocking how many people play like that. Templars get a bad name because of poor players. In 1v1, they are good. Open World is a different story but they can hold their own 1vX just not as good as some other classes. Then again being able to 1vX has nothing to do with balance. It's a skill gap, period.

Edited by Enraged_Tiki_Torch on February 28, 2016 3:04AM
    My solution to Champion Point System here
  • Asheel
    Asheel
    Hi everybody. First I want to apologize in advance for my bad english . I'm from Germany.

I would like to introduce you today my PvP Templar.

Skills: 64 Magicka, 0 Health, 0 Stamina

Equip: 5/1/1 Light, 5 Kagrenac`s Hope, 1 Molag Kena, 3 Willpower, 3 Torugs Pact

Mainbar: Mainhand: 2xSword, Nirnhoned, Torugs Pact
    1. Puncturing Sweep, 2. Toppling Charge, 3. Radiant Glory, 4. Dark Flare, 5. Radiant Magelight, ULT: Shooting Star
    Defbar (Offhand): 1xSword & Shield, Nirnhoned, Torugs Pact,
    1. Channeled Focus, 2. Honor the Dead, 3. Repentance, 4. Purifying Ritual, 5. Proximity Detonation, ULT: Empowering Sweep

A few notes to this skills:
    - ULT Empowering Sweep for Damagereduction in dangerous situation + 15% more Blockdmg from the passive "Spear Wall - Aedric Spear". With Block you are very "Tanky" in this situation and have with Proximity Detonation in the Offhand a leverage when you are in the defensive.

Bufffood: Tri-Bufffood

MyStats in PvP: 25000 Life, 37000 Mana, 16.000 Stamina, 1400 Manareg (absolutly enough), Mainhand: 2800 Spelldamage (unbufffed)
    Resi with Channeled Focus: ~30.000 Magicka-Resi, 16.000 Physic-Resi.

What you think about it?

PS: I play on PS4 !!! This is my TG: 2.3.5 Update
    Edited by Asheel on March 9, 2016 12:15PM
    PSN-ID: A_s_h_e_e_l
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    Why run Krags if you are not a healer and need the regen vs juliannos for crit?
    most fights are 10 seconds or less usually.
    why honor the dead rather than struc entropy or harn magicka or just BoL if you want the heal?

what is your CP?

other than that looks great!!
    Edited by puffy99 on March 10, 2016 5:47PM
  • Asheel
    Asheel
    BoL is too expensive. Entropie i got from pots. I think Julianos is not so good vs. Shields. We cant crit. Therefore was my attention on max Spelldmg.
    Edited by Asheel on March 11, 2016 4:24PM
    PSN-ID: A_s_h_e_e_l