Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Fastest way to level enchanting?

DEATHquidox
DEATHquidox
✭✭✭
I just need potency runes but what's the best way to level it? And a great spot to farm mats?

Best Answers

• Selstad
    Selstad
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's some good news, means that the best thing to do then is find some nice farming spot, fire up a pot of coffee and get down to some good old fashion grinding :smile:
    Answer ✓
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    The fastest way is to create glyphs for the level you've achieved in Enchanting skill. So don't create low level glyphs while you could create higher level glyphs.

Aspect rune(Kuta) doesn't involve the XP you gain from it.
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Public Dungeons that have Humans or Undead are the best source of Glyphs to deconstruct. Next would be overland spots that have Bloodfiends or Zombies.

You get pretty much the same Inspiration from deconning a mob Glyph as you do a Crafter or Alt made glyph. So, if you have a supply of runes, you can make them on one character and have another decon. Just know your only going to get back about 25% of the runes when you decon what you make on an alt. Don't waste time sending or getting glyphs from another player.

But, mob glyphs are better as you get experience, loot and gold along with the glyphs so it's win all the way around.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wrothgar is an ideal locale to farm potency runes. Not only are they plentiful, they scale to your current level. As you improve in enchanting and add skill points, the nodes there will continue to scale to your level. This is much easier than farming different zones for different levels of runes. As an added bonus, there are also a plethora of chests in Wrothgar that will yield a fair amount of glyphs along with other goodies. Finally, adding 30 Champion points into Warlord (stamina) or Magician (magic) will give you Inspiraton Boost, good for 20% IP bonus.

edit: You get a huge boost of IP from learning the meaning of all the runes.Put off learning as many as you can until you reach higher Enchanting levels. I jumped from 49 to 50 by learning a dozen or so unknown runes.
    Edited by Ourorboros on February 17, 2016 6:18PM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just need potency runes but what's the best way to level it? And a great spot to farm mats?

Hear it out ZOS - One more grinding victim here!

Yeah back to the question:
    The fastest way to level it up is to ask a bud of your to create cheap glyphs and you need to deconstruct them.

You can get the mats by
    -investing skill points in hireling
    -doing daily enchanting writs
    -exploring Orsinium

...but yeah the boring grinding need to be done first.

• Nickhead420
    Nickhead420
    ✭✭
    If possible, try to avoid picking up skill books until later levels. They're MUCH more helpful in the late 40s than they are at any other level. I know that sounds obvious, but it's one of those things ya don't think about until it's already too late.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    The FASTEST way to level enchanting is to buy purple/gold (blue isn’t bad too) Monumental and Superior glyphs from guild stores and deconstruct them. It is expensive, but it’s a lot quicker than farming or crafting glyphs to decon, and goes much faster than using white glyphs.

For example I was at level 27 enchanting and was tired of the slow leveling, so I spent a couple of hours one evening searching guild stores throughout tamriel and bought as many purple and blue upper veteran rank glyphs as I could find for 1000 gold or less (and also learned any new potency runes along the way). It cost me 42,000 to get to level 40 (where I could unlock tier 9 potency and get the achievement that gives you a dye).

Perhaps I should also note for the sake of comparison: deconstructing one purple monumental glyph at enchanting level 9 got me slightly less than half a level’s worth of inspiration; at enchanting level 27 it got me about a 3rd or 4th a level’s worth of inspiration.
    Edited by Aelthwyn on February 19, 2016 10:21PM
  • AJ_1988
    AJ_1988
    ✭✭✭
    I used the AP I earnt in pvp to by glyphs and Decon them also writs are good too.
  • Kensei_ESO
    Kensei_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best way to level is to deconstruct glyphs made by other players. They give way more inspiration then dropped glyphs. Additionally, blue and purple glyphs offer MUCH more inspiration than white/green.

I have a disgusting amount of potency 8/9 runes, junk essence, and Denata runes that I could use to help you level (for gold/trade). If you are PC NA, send @solariken a mail in game.
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farming for Runes and Crafting partners aren't the best as:
    1) they're slow,
    2) the XP from creating new Glyphs is only good for the first one,
    3) you'll run out of new Glyphs to create relatively quickly, and
    4) you're often stuck lacking a certain type of Rune.

IMO the fastest way to level is to farm at least V1 Undead. An hour in a good spot will net you ~15 Glyphs (mostly green and blue) but also >200 raw Clothing materials which can be sold for >12k. You can then obviously use the gold as you like or simply to buy higher level Glyphs from the Traders for more XP. The returns from deconning (albeit poor) can be used to create Glyphs that you don't already know as and when you get them.
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second the glyph decon > crafting decon mentioned above.

However I have a question OP:

Do you need to have it maxed right now? Can you use the glyphs you would create from having it maxed? ( having 3/3 enchanting hireling won't get you many Kuta's if that's what you want...)

If you just play the game and gather all the runes, glyphs ( you will need to do some grinding ) you will easily get to 40 enchanting the last 10 is just an added bonus and you will get there relatively easily.

Also keep in mind high level glyphs ( monumental ) that drop give a hell of a lot of inspiration. You can get to level 20 in enchanting in a matter of days if you just casually play high level content. Imagine grinding...

Just keep in mind there is no need to rush if you can't use them yet, if you can then by all means farm away :smiley:
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @AJ_1988

10/10 answer, mate.. An insightful tag for you. Now I have a way of spending my 160k (and ever increasing) AP.
  • AJ_1988
    AJ_1988
    ✭✭✭
    @AJ_1988

10/10 answer, mate.. An insightful tag for you. Now I have a way of spending my 160k (and ever increasing) AP.

Cheers. It is a longer way as its only whit glyphs but as you said somethings to use AP on lol. The vendors are of for crafting too and blue mats
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The quickest way is to get a partner in crime....... If you both make and exchange and decon.....

Or if you belong to a quild just ask if the crafters can send you VR14 glyphs they pick up...... You decon them and even give them their mats back...
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @AJ_1988

Hmm... I could've sworn that I saw purple Glyphs at one of the Merchants there. If it's only white then the effectiveness does decrease a considerable amount but still preferred to buying Glyphs outside of Cyrodil.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Johngo0036

With all due respect (as I know you're just trying to help), that guide - whilst being useful for learning the mechanisms and general best practices - isn't sustainable as it fails to take in to consideration two key issues which are typically apparent for new Enchanters:
    1. The low inventory of Runes (either due to difficulty farming specific Runes or limited gold to purchase what's required) which limits crafting worthwhile Glyphs for a partner to deconstruct
    2. The difficulty in finding a partner.

Under this guide, when either of these fail (which they will at some point) XP grinds to a complete halt.

When you're lower level in Enchanting and your stock of a certain type of Rune is low (notably Potency): an hour farming for V1+ Glyphs and deconstructing yourself generates much more XP than an hour - all in - of two people farming for Runes, creating, sending, and deconstructing.
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get the runes that you have and then ask someone else to craft it in order to descons. Very useful way to level.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    The best way to level is to deconstruct glyphs made by other players. They give way more inspiration then dropped glyphs.

No they don't. Looted Glyphs now give more Inspiration. Alt made glyphs give the same Inspiration as other Player made Glyphs

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/187809/enchanting-extraction-for-leveling-its-not-what-you-think

It has been this way since Update 1.5

Edited by Nestor on February 18, 2016 5:50PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DEATHquidox
    DEATHquidox
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The best way to level is to deconstruct glyphs made by other players. They give way more inspiration then dropped glyphs.

No they don't. Looted Glyphs now give more Inspiration. Alt made glyphs give the same Inspiration as other Player made Glyphs

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/187809/enchanting-extraction-for-leveling-its-not-what-you-think

Haha thug life
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Farming for Runes and Crafting partners aren't the best as:
    1) they're slow,
    2) the XP from creating new Glyphs is only good for the first one,
    3) you'll run out of new Glyphs to create relatively quickly, and
    4) you're often stuck lacking a certain type of Rune.

IMO the fastest way to level is to farm at least V1 Undead. An hour in a good spot will net you ~15 Glyphs (mostly green and blue) but also >200 raw Clothing materials which can be sold for >12k. You can then obviously use the gold as you like or simply to buy higher level Glyphs from the Traders for more XP. The returns from deconning (albeit poor) can be used to create Glyphs that you don't already know as and when you get them.

Where exactly are you getting green and blue glyphs to drop? I'd really like to check that myself. AFAIK, there are only very few glyph drops that are not white, notably purple glyphs from Trials rewards. Writs yield green glyphs, but I don't think I've ever gotten a blue. Please post the location and/or pics of these looted "mostly green and blue" glyphs. FYI, I can get at least 15 glyphs by opening chests for an hour, along with other assorted goodies, so only 15 glyphs/hr doesn't seem like an especially good rate.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farming glyphs is a bad way to do it IMO. Dropped white glyphs, just dont give that much crafting XP.

Farm gold and buy a few stacks of the following: Jejota or Denata (rekuta and Kuta are cost prohibitive for this), the cheapest essence glyph you can find (frost is always cheap), and Kude (Kura works 2, but Kude is cheaper). Then give to a buddy that can craft Potency 9 glyphs for you in green or blue. Blue is better but more expensive. Then Decon and repeat. Make sure you put points into extraction so you get some of the mats back. It is going to take a few hundred depending on what level you start at.
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I say save up as many glyphs and runes as possible. Get a crown scroll for the extra 50% xp gained and do it then.

Atleast that way every say 100 glyphs is actually 150 so the wait is worth it.
  • Sneakyfool
    Sneakyfool
    ✭✭✭
    @Johngo0036

With all due respect (as I know you're just trying to help), that guide - whilst being useful for learning the mechanisms and general best practices - isn't sustainable as it fails to take in to consideration two key issues which are typically apparent for new Enchanters:
    1. The low inventory of Runes (either due to difficulty farming specific Runes or limited gold to purchase what's required) which limits crafting worthwhile Glyphs for a partner to deconstruct
    2. The difficulty in finding a partner.

Under this guide, when either of these fail (which they will at some point) XP grinds to a complete halt.

When you're lower level in Enchanting and your stock of a certain type of Rune is low (notably Potency): an hour farming for V1+ Glyphs and deconstructing yourself generates much more XP than an hour - all in - of two people farming for Runes, creating, sending, and deconstructing.

The thing that people misunderstand is you don't need a "Partner" per se, because that guide was aimed at people leveling enchanting together at the game launch, the game is flooded now with max enchanters so it's way easier to level if you know anyone who's leveled it already.

What you do need tho is someone who is willing to craft you Glyphs with your own materials so that you can deconstruct them yourself and through this process gain XP and some of your materials back, rinse and repeat. Until depleted.

Honestly If you want to level enchanting quickly the process is going to cost a gold investment, farming isn't "fast" and you'll only get the tier of potency from the area your farming and the *** white TA aspect which gives the worst XP return.

The best process is to buy some green/blue glyphs from guild stores and as much materials a you can, meaning Aspect and Essence only for now. These are easy to attain and pretty cheap. Decon all the glyphs you've bought and then go buy the Potency. You literally want (1) potency of each and that's it, learn those then never use them again. Seriously.

Why you ask? cus it's an epic waste of money, XP, time and most of all materials. This is because the way Zenimax changed Enchanting and Wrothgar/writs and the potency that people get. If you look on every guildstore they are completely filled with Tier 9 Potency and not much of anything else. It's why tier 5-7 costs almost triple what tier 9 does. Unsurprisingly tier 9 gives more XP and since it's so abundant it's the cheapest. Great for people leveling enchanting quickly.

So you literally only craft new glyphs with Potency(s) you need to learn, and that's it, if the glyph isn't unknown from using new potency, essence or aspect don't make it.

Pass all your materials to your friend and have him use all the Aspect and essence you own, with nothing but tier 9 potency you can buy and that way you'll get the most bang for your buck, don't bother with TA unless you have no other choice but I'd ignore it altogether and only use Jejota, Denata, rekuta. Essence doesn't matter.

Decon all the ones he's crafted for you and you'll get XP and the majority of your materials back, rinse and repeat until lvl 50. Congrats.

Pro tip for people seeking help, be organised. If you have 50 Potency get a hold of 50 aspect and 50 essence and that way an enchanter can quickly craft you 50 glyphs. Being disorganised is a seriously turn off for any potential help because nobody wants to sort through all your crap, specially since the table shows the crafters owns mats and can easily get muddled. Hope that helps and if any of you are needing help making them on the EU PC give me a shout, I'm always happy to help, providing your organised ofc :D
    Edited by Sneakyfool on February 24, 2016 5:06PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Which is why you shouldn't use Ta when using an alt or asking another player to make glyphs for decon. Because I've been playing since PC early access, I have plenty of Denatas and Rekutas, so I've been able to use those exclusively (no Jejotas) to get my alt enchanters to 50 rather quickly, without using as many potency runes. Don't waste potencies and essences making glyphs that use Ta - use at least Jejotas.

Also, decon all mob/chest glyphs - they don't sell for very much, even at high vet levels, so might as well decon them.

EDIT: I also sent all my green writ glyphs from my main crafter (who is doing Tier 9 writs) to my alts to decon.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on February 24, 2016 6:31PM
  • Sneakyfool
    Sneakyfool
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ this guy gets it. or girl :)
    Edited by Sneakyfool on February 24, 2016 7:32PM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The fastest is by buying glyphs and deconstructing. That is the correct answer. It is easily the fastest way. Just visit some guild stores and buy like crazy.

I used to have a spreadsheet that told me the gold I should be willing to spend for glyphs to make sure I was getting a good inspiration/gold value.

If you have gold limitations, than you might want a less fast approach.
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can help someone get their enchanting to 50 just pm me. I can supply all the materials but for a fee of course
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    The fastest is by buying glyphs and deconstructing. That is the correct answer. It is easily the fastest way. Just visit some guild stores and buy like crazy.

I used to have a spreadsheet that told me the gold I should be willing to spend for glyphs to make sure I was getting a good inspiration/gold value.

If you have gold limitations, than you might want a less fast approach.

Well...I guess it would be the fastest if you have gold to spend. :smile: As Dave indicates, just be sure you're getting a good gold to inspiration ratio. Don't buy white ones if you can avoid it - focus on gold/purple/blue - even green, but be sure they're of high potency level, too. Some smart shopping can save you some gold.
    Sneakyfool wrote: »
    ^^ this guy gets it. or girl :)

Ima gurl! :wink:
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth mentioning here is that required inspiration per level rises steeply after level 40. The last ten levels require alot of glyphs, preferably monumental purples. But after level 40 writs at 9/10 level offer a rather effortless way to level up to 50. They are nearly self sustaining and quickly done. These days i push my new enchanters to 40 by deconning and to 50 with writs.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone