The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar DPS help?

EQBallzz
EQBallzz
✭✭✭✭✭
I have had a v14 Templar for a long time. Took a long break from ESO and recently came back to see new DLC. Just hit v16 and I have started experimenting with some new sets to improve my DPS but I have not been too impressed with what I'm seeing so far so was hoping some of you might have some tips/advice/suggestions. My Templar is primarily set up for healing and I'm not too worried about that aspect but i wanted to set up my gear and abilities to such that I can boost DPS and healing simultaneously so I have gone with a magicka heavy type of setup. I did some basic testing to establish a baseline of sorts:

I tested on v16 single mobs in Wrothgar and only using Puncturing Sweep so that I could just attack continuously and have a concise dmg and as few variables as possible. I didn't kill a huge number of mobs but I got fairly consistent DPS each kill so I only took an average of 5 kills with each set. Using +magicka enchants on both sets.

With my v14 Legendary quality gear. Boon= The Mage. Traits = Divines. 5 piece Seducer set with 4 piece Twilight's Embrace (using DW for extra set bonus):
5 mob average DPS = 5500

With my test set of v15 Rare quality gear. Boons=The Thief & The Shadow. Traits= Divines. 5 piece Twice Born Star with 4 piece Julianos.
5 mob average DPS = 6500

Ultimately I will be using a v16 set but I didn't want to waste that many mats to test a set so I know I will get a bump from that. I also realize I'm comparing gold quality to blue (on armor and enchantments) so I will obviously see an improvement from better quality but I was expecting a bit better improvement than that considering I went from a +magicka boon to two DPS related boons and I still had about the same amount of magicka pool even without The Mage boon active (it was about 700-1k less without it).

Am I missing something or does that look about right to people? I don't expect my Templar to be uber DPS but was hoping to get it quite a bit higher than that. Any other suggestions to improve DPS in a setup that will maintain strong healing? Maybe switching to destro staff? If I do that I lose the 4 piece spell crit bonus from Julianos, however.
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 piece krags provides a nice bonus to spell damage as well as rez speed. The set also provides magicka recovery. You usually run 5 piece krags with 4 piece Magnus for decent spell damage and recovery. Of course if you just want to go crazy with spell damage, you can run 5 Julianos, 2 torag, and molag kena monster set. As a healer, this isn't as viable though because of the lack of recovery. Also run willpower jewelry with either recovery or spell damage enchanted on them. High spell damage + max magicka actually give you some monster heals.
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok but with The Thief and The Shadow boons for twice born set I get +crit chance and +crit dmg. The 4 pieces of Julianos gives me +spell crit, +magicka and +spell crit. Shouldn't that be comparable? I will probably try changing my boon effects to some other things to see if that makes a difference. Maybe +spell dmg and +magicka boons would be better? Or maybe +spell dmg and +crit? That's sort of why I was wanting to try the Twice Born because of the flexibility of being able to change boons for different effects but seems pretty underwhelming so far. :(
  • bikerangelo
    bikerangelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey thanks for that link. That's actually very useful and informative.
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    I run 5 krags, 4 juliannos (swords/resto) and willpower.
    I think for heal/dps it is the best combo right now.

I pop a monster helm now and then just for looks if I want but for synergy and all around I think the above is the best combo.

We will see if the new sets set the bar any different but healing may require more regen I am thinking - and more resto reliance.
  • Amoureros
    Amoureros
    ✭✭✭
    Twice born star 5+ Magnus 4 is better than Julianos or Kag for PVE DPS
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amoureros wrote: »
    Twice born star 5+ Magnus 4 is better than Julianos or Kag for PVE DPS

I have heard others say this but can I ask why Magnus 4 is better than say Julianos for DPS?

Magnus 4
    +magicka
    +magicka recovery
    +spell dmg

Julianos
    +spell crit
    +magicka
    +spell crit

I would think for DPS 2 spell crit bonuses would be better than 1 spell dmg effect and recovery or is spell dmg just that much more powerful than spell crit?
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    yeah I don't see how magikca recovery helps vs the spell crit/max magicka build for dps.
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    puffy99 wrote: »
    yeah I don't see how magikca recovery helps vs the spell crit/max magicka build for dps.

You will have like 2 magic recovery
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • AJ_1988
    AJ_1988
    ✭✭✭
    I just recently respeced back to stam but as magicka I used 5pce julianos and the rest Magnus had DW and resto staff. Also had 3pce willpower Jewelry. Went for the apprentice stone and I was making the banner bosses hurt in IC sewers. Popped purifying light and spammed dark flare. Near 20k stored from the light and 15 k from flare. That's the tooltip as I'm on xb1 so don't know my numbers until we get text. Had 34k mag 2300 spell power as an imperial. I was happy with that. I do a lot more damage as stam but sacrifice my self healing. The imperial red diamond helps with that tho.