Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Blacksmithing 10/10 Writs?

Eocosa
Eocosa
✭✭✭
Hello,

I have just raised an Alts blacksmithing skill to 50 and invested the 10 skill points to make him 10/10 and able to use rubedite ore. I took him to orsinium yet the blacksmithing writs are only for ebony tiered items. I was under the impression that writs are based on your skill level in the craft and the skill points invested in the tier of equipment, is this incorrect?

To be fair he is only level 8 and I was hoping to level up a group of crafting Alts, but I'm not sure if that will be as simple as grinding the crafts if there is something else I am missing.

Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated!
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I know before they added Orsinium... it was a requirement to be a Veteran Rank before you got the max tier writ. This was because the writs were in Craglorn and you couldn't get to Crag if you were not vet. Maybe it's tied to that? AKA - even though your character can get to Orsinium which has top tier writs it's not being able to pass that requirement which is for the previous tier, so it won't skip it to check eligibility for the next tier?

@Nestor any idea?
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The writs that request Ebony are the ones you turn in to Coldharbour, aren't they? If I recall you are going to need to be able to get to Craiglorn to turn in the next level of writs, and then to Wrothgar to turn in the final level. Unfortunately you need to be VR1 to get to Craiglorn at all, so even though you've met all the requirements the writ level won't advance until you have access to the area you need to get to to turn it in (even though you sorta skipped over the writ level you actually need to turn in there).

Edited by Number_51 on February 10, 2016 2:53PM
  • Eocosa
    Eocosa
    ✭✭✭
    Ohh I was not aware of that previous requirement! I guess I have some serious leveling to do for my alts haha!

Thank you for the very prompt reply and I will repost once I get them to a higher level if that changed anything (will take a bit)!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    @Nestor any idea?

Maybe...
    Eocosa wrote: »
    Ohh I was not aware of that previous requirement! I guess I have some serious leveling to do for my alts haha!

Thank you for the very prompt reply and I will repost once I get them to a higher level if that changed anything (will take a bit)!

Try this. Get to the Hollow City in Coldharbor (port to a friend or guildmate or group member) and talk to the Grounds Keeper up there. You don't need to do any quests but after talking to her and taking the tour of the city, you unlock the ability to do writs in that location. See if that allows you to then do writs in Wrothgar. You will know right away as you can grab a writ in Coldharbor and see what the material is.

Edit Replaced Coldharbor with Wrothgar....
    Edited by Nestor on February 10, 2016 3:33PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Eocosa
    Eocosa
    ✭✭✭
    @Nestor okay I will definitely give this a shot when I get on a bit later tonight!

Thank you!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nestor okay I will definitely give this a shot when I get on a bit later tonight!

Thank you!

I know you will be able to the writs in Coldharbor, as I have an L10 and an L20 doing writs up there. What I am hoping is this will unlock Wrothgar for writs. I have no idea if it will, and I don't have the SPs to spare on my two Alts to try it.

So, I am using you as a guinea pig. :#
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll be interested in seeing how things go too. My level 11 consumables crafter is at 5/6 in provisioning but is still getting tier 4 writs in Windhelm. (I was expecting tier 5 to be in Riften but I guess it's in Coldharbour?) I haven't bought Orsinium yet but I've been wondering how writs would work if I bought it but didn't start the quests there.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    The reason your writs are using ebony and not being able to turn in at Orsinium is you have not finished the main story line yet (Harborage). If you do not complete the main storyline your writs will never go above this tier.

After you defeat Molag Bal you will be able to do the max level writs. May need to accept the cadwell's silver questline first.

This is why your writs have maxed at that tier. Once you pass this gate you will go to the max level writ the character has skill points into.

Note: above someone said you needed to be VR1 before you can do higher level writs or go to craglorn this is incorrect. It can be done as low as level 45. It could be done sooner if the last Harborage mission level requirement wasn't set to level 45.
    Edited by Tallowby on February 10, 2016 6:23PM
    NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
    Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
    Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
    Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
    Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
    Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
  • Eocosa
    Eocosa
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thank you very much! @Tallowby

I was gone for a bit due to some things out of game, so I just saw your post and can also verify that simply completing the intro quest in Coldharbor only raises the blacksmith writs to the Calcinium level.

Well looks like a good time to power up some crafting alts haha! Jubilee Cake, here I come!
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thank you very much! @Tallowby

I was gone for a bit due to some things out of game, so I just saw your post and can also verify that simply completing the intro quest in Coldharbor only raises the blacksmith writs to the Calcinium level.

Well looks like a good time to power up some crafting alts haha! Jubilee Cake, here I come!

Look at the spoiler in my post above. It is not the intro quest for coldharbor... it is the final main story quest (acquired at the Harborage only obtainable at level 45)
    NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
    Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
    Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
    Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
    Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
    Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
  • Eocosa
    Eocosa
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I did see that too, I just remember a few people suggesting it was Welcome to Coldharbor and I was just reinforcing that was not that unlocks the higher tiered crafting not writs beyond going from ebony to calcinium is all.