Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Grouping with Lower Level Players - Only Healing

Humble48
Humble48
✭✭
I know there are a ton of posts on this subject, but I'm looking for non-dungeon related information, and everything seems to be focused on dungeons XP and +5/-5 XP rules.

I'm interested in the following if I am a VR8 and I want to hang with my friends who just started and are level 15:
1 - If I group with them and just heal them when they need it, will I steal XP for mob kills (and loot)?
2 - If I don't group with them and just follow them and heal them when they need it, will I steal XP for mob kills (and loot)?

I know that I'll basically one shot anything at my level in a level 15 zone, so I don't want to do combat, but figured just healing them might allow me to hang without completely robbing them of their XP while they do regular quests, delves and world bosses.

Thanks for your time.
  • JuZ
    JuZ
    ✭✭
    This evening some friends and I did the group dungeon at Dire Frost Keep with a VR7, VR7, lvl42 and me at lvl 28. The group leader was lvl42 so it was scaled to him but we all got drops from the bosses so I think your healing idea is good and should work.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humble48 wrote: »
    I'm interested in the following if I am a VR8 and I want to hang with my friends who just started and are level 15:
    1 - If I group with them and just heal them when they need it, will I steal XP for mob kills (and loot)?
    2 - If I don't group with them and just follow them and heal them when they need it, will I steal XP for mob kills (and loot)?

I have run some dungeons with low levels at VR Ranks, and there did not seem to be much if any experience loss for the low levels. Now, these were folks new to the game and did not have all the addons (as they were not quite sure what exp they were getting, just that some things were giving them skill level ups)

So, just hang back, and only throw in an attack or a heal if they get into trouble. It's not so much the experience points they are getting, but the game experience that they need to get. So, don't make it too easy on them.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Humble48
    Humble48
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

I have run some dungeons with low levels at VR Ranks, and there did not seem to be much if any experience loss for the low levels. Now, these were folks new to the game and did not have all the addons (as they were not quite sure what exp they were getting, just that some things were giving them skill level ups)

So, just hang back, and only throw in an attack or a heal if they get into trouble. It's not so much the experience points they are getting, but the game experience that they need to get. So, don't make it too easy on them.

I just want to make sure I'm clear on this. I understand the scaling in the instanced dungeons, but does this hold true for the public dungeons, delves, caves, and PVE world mobs as well?

And this is really just to hang out with them on the very few times that we actually get to play together. It's not for power-leveling them through content. It's just so we can do things together in for limited game sessions.
    Edited by Humble48 on February 5, 2016 9:33PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I just want to make sure I'm clear on this. I understand the scaling in the instanced dungeons, but does this hold true for the public dungeons, delves, caves, and PVE world mobs as well?

And this is really just to hang out with them on the very few times that we actually get to play together. It's not for power-leveling them through content. It's just so we can do things together in for limited game sessions.

As you know, Group Dungeons Scale, however all other dungeons are what they are and the scale does not change no matter who goes in there, or what level the group leader is.

The only exception to this is, Wrothgar and Cyrodill where everyone is battle leveled to VR16. But, you go into Crows Wood in Davon's Watch, assuming your Ebonheart Pact, and it will be Level 6 even if you are VR16

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

NO loot for you!
    no really, other than the occasional raw leather, if you are off-level nothing drops for you anyway.

whatever slight reduction in earned xp for them is balanced out by having such a strong guard?
    & You'd have a great opportunity to take some fun pictures while you are protecting them!
    :)
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Humble48
    Humble48
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the answers.
  • JasminaChillibeaner
    I find myself boosting lowbies a fair bit. They're advised that their XP and loot may suffer but if it's just a case of hanging back and healing the newer players haven't felt like they're losing out.
    PC/EU/EP
    Leader of Constellation
    PvE Templar Healer and Achievement Hunter
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know there are a ton of posts on this subject, but I'm looking for non-dungeon related information, and everything seems to be focused on dungeons XP and +5/-5 XP rules.

I know that I'll basically one shot anything at my level in a level 15 zone, so I don't want to do combat, but figured just healing them might allow me to hang without completely robbing them of their XP while they do regular quests, delves and world bosses.

Thanks for your time.

Let one of the low level players be the group leader,not you. You wont steal anything from them.You yourself wont get XP because they are much lower levels than you are.However,they are getting a great benifit from you helping them by healing them.Just dont be the leader of the group,or it scales to your level and not theirs.Even if you kill something,they'll get the XP for it.You wont,but they w ill