Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

PTS Changes for Provisioning

gw2only1b14_ESO
gw2only1b14_ESO
✭✭✭
First of I'm not a hugh crafter but in my time in ESO I have gotten all but Potion making to 50 and found it was a nice break from PVP or from just doing some general quests.

The changes there setting for provisioning is:

Vendors now sell recipes used in Provisioning Writs, which will ensure provisioners are able to reasonably complete any Provisioning Writ received.
Food recipes will appear on Chefs, while drink recipes show up on Brewers.
The recipes offered are based on your current level of Recipe Improvement, though they also will offer recipes from the previous rank as well.
Provisioning Writs will no longer reward these recipes.

Now once again not a hugh crafter but even since Beta Provisioning was super easy these changes just really dummy down the crafting system and then wonder why players grow board with a game and clammer to get more content into the game.....because the challenge minor as it is to craft is basicly provided on said vendor.

I mean patches ago you added the materials to the vendors. Its disheartening to see the game so so so watered down......Just looking to see when Roe and Nirh will be in cash shop .
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    These changes make sense because it's a lot harder to make the stuff you need for your writs if you can't get the recipes. The only thing that's changing is that writ recipes will be available from npc merchants. Not great for people who made money selling the recipes or crafted food/drink, but I'm sure we'll adjust.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    First of I'm not a hugh crafter but in my time in ESO I have gotten all but Potion making to 50 and found it was a nice break from PVP or from just doing some general quests.

Vendors now sell recipes used in Provisioning Writs, which will ensure provisioners are able to reasonably complete any Provisioning Writ received.
    The recipes offered are based on your current level of Recipe Improvement, though they also will offer recipes from the previous rank as well.

Now once again not a hugh crafter but even since Beta Provisioning was super easy these changes just really dummy down the crafting system and then wonder why players grow board with a game and clammer to get more content into the game.....because the challenge minor as it is to craft is basicly provided on said vendor.

I mean patches ago you added the materials to the vendors. Its disheartening to see the game so so so watered down......Just looking to see when Roe and Nirh will be in cash shop .

Sure huge amount of challenge in RNG deciding whether or not you found the recipes you needed for a writ
    Babeester Gor is the Axe Goddess, the Implacable Anger, the Avenging Daughter and the Earth Guardian.
    Vriddi gra-Yildnarz, Dragonknight and Smith
    Myrvanwe, Sorcerer and Enchanter
    Tsajirra, Nightblade and Clothier
    Vilvyni Indarys, Dragonknight and Woodworker
    Arielle Alouette, Templar and Provisioner
    Fishes in Troubled Waters, Nightblade and Alchemist
    Shanika Some Long Title I'd Change If I Could, Templar and Aspirant Jeweller
    Pippi Longhorn, Nightblade, Ne'er-do-well, and "Tribute" character
    EU PC.
  • gw2only1b14_ESO
    gw2only1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    These changes make sense because it's a lot harder to make the stuff you need for your writs if you can't get the recipes. The only thing that's changing is that writ recipes will be available from npc merchants. Not great for people who made money selling the recipes or crafted food/drink, but I'm sure we'll adjust.

There easy to find...Ive never been a hugh crafter and I have it and its a good coin sink as well, I feel its a bad move and when they changed with mats as well that was welcomed to stream line the number that where out there clogging up your bag spaces but even then it took from the finding gathering bartering trading ect.

Im a explorer/adventurer I dig that stuff
  • gw2only1b14_ESO
    gw2only1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Sure huge amount of challenge in RNG deciding whether or not you found the recipes you needed for a writ

Kinda like running them dungeons etc I guess but theres so many containers /bags /cupboards trunks to find that. Its not hard
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not like they're selling blue or purple(or gold) recipes. These are the very basic 'you need for a quest' recipes. I don't think the ability to complete writs should be determined by RNG.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • BigSwole703
    I always thought the provisioning writs were the hardest. It's all based on random luck of finding the right recipe. I wasn't able to complete any of the level 1 and 2 writs. I would always have one recipe needed but not the other.
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭

Kinda like running them dungeons etc I guess but theres so many containers /bags /cupboards trunks to find that. Its not hard

But it is random
    This change is certainly making the game easier and more "casual" friendly but its not "dumbing down" since intelligence wasn't required before
    Grinding for grindings sake is just unimaginative, poor design
    Babeester Gor is the Axe Goddess, the Implacable Anger, the Avenging Daughter and the Earth Guardian.
    EU PC.
  • gw2only1b14_ESO
    gw2only1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

But it is random
    This change is certainly making the game easier and more "casual" friendly but its not "dumbing down" since intelligence wasn't required before

Ok making vanilla ..the whole games turning this way as Im seeing it
  • treborrealb14_ESO
    treborrealb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought the provisioning writs were the hardest. It's all based on random luck of finding the right recipe. I wasn't able to complete any of the level 1 and 2 writs. I would always have one recipe needed but not the other.

Like OP stated its really rewarding on that end because you have to open containers bags and urns and there all found in the starter area or zone. Im starting to think as well that Zeni just wants everyone level 50 and then bored to death after they exhaust the latest content which will add up to about less then a weeks worth of casual game time.

I personally have Crowfall and Black Desert on the desktop guess Ill enjoy the freshness and challenge of those
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad they are making this change. I have been holding on to the writ for almost 3 weeks know. I have canceled it 2 times and got it back, so I just leave it active. I have checked every guild kiosk for the recipe and can not find it for sale or to loot.

Thanks ZOS for this change.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭

But it is random

Ok making vanilla ..the whole games turning this way as Im seeing it

There is only 1 writ that asked for a recipe I don't have in the 6 months I've been playing and doing 8 provisioning writs a day. Since I couldn't find the recipe in a guild store I just purchased the finished goods in a guild store. The system as before the chance didn't reward anything except grinding and punished bad luck. I'm all for suggestions as to how provisioning could be made interesting and/or challenging but it wasn't before the change
    EU PC.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just ran through the new Recipes Vendor change on a character. There is just a bit of detail to the system as far as I tested. I did NOT test with an active Prov writ so I don't know if anything else will change.

Level 9 Character - Provisioning Level 50

1/4 1/6 - Level 1 recipes listed only
    1/4 2/6 - Level 1 recipes, Level 20 recipes listed only
    1/4 3/6 - Level 20 recipes, Level 30 recipes listed only
    1/4 4/6 - Level 30 recipes, Level 40 recipes listed only
    1/4 5/6 - Level 40 recipes, Level VR1 recipes listed only
    1/4 6/6 - Level VR1 recipes, Level VR5 recipes listed only
    • The vendor never goes back to lowest recipes at all as you increase Recipe Improvement.
    • This pattern does not change at all in any zone level.
    • Recipe Quality of course has no effect either.
    • The Recipes are the same every time at each level, by alliance, in all zone levels.

So, if you want to level several Prov Alts together, you need to buy enough recipes at each level for all of them at once or you have to keep lower Prov Skilled alts available to buy the rest.

Will have to check and see if an active writ changes the exact recipes you receive, but on 2 separate NON-ACTIVE WRIT characters, the Level 9 and a VR11, at the same location, they both received the exact same recipes at each level.

This makes it look like the writs are only going to ask for exactly what the vendor sells??

And whether that reads as Prov Writs will give NO recipes or just not the ones that can already be bought.
    Edited by SpAEkus on February 4, 2016 10:09PM
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭

Question is for how much will they sell those recipes? I would like to see 5k but assuming it will be around 100 gold if that. Kinda makes provisioning writs worthless aside from Bervez and Mirriam.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bryanhaas wrote: »

Question is for how much will they sell those recipes? I would like to see 5k but assuming it will be around 100 gold if that. Kinda makes provisioning writs worthless aside from Bervez and Mirriam.

Why? There are only about 36 Recipes used for Provisioning Writs. Out of 535 total. Writs are still the best source of rare recipes. Unless you really like container farming.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Why? There are only about 36 Recipes used for Provisioning Writs. Out of 535 total. Writs are still the best source of rare recipes. Unless you really like container farming.

It also depends on the price set. Given that they are removing the green writ recipes from the writ rewards I can't imagine they will be setting the price too high but 500g (for example) is still quite a lot for a level 6 character looking to complete their 1st writ,
    EU PC.
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭

I thought originally they were selling all recipes seeing as it is only the provisioning writs recipes then that's better I guess. Still will miss selling them for high to offset the cost of other overpriced items, but guess this is fair for everyone.

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

How is providing just the recipes needed to complete writs dumming down this profession? There are still plenty of other recipes to find, and the blue/purple/gold ones that everyone uses will still have to be found in the usual manner. Even the green recipes that aren't writ recipes still need to be found the usual way.

This just ensures that people are able to reasonably complete the writs, which are designed, for new characters, to help level their crafting skill. For those already at level 50, they are a good source for rare recipes as well as the purple ingredients.

And, you mention that they added materials to the vendors. Well, the vendors prior to the provisioning overhaul already sold some of the ingredients (such as flour, etc.), and they were cheap compared to the prices now. And as for now, all the vendors sell are fruits/veggies, at 150g each. That's pretty expensive, and you still have to hunt for everything else.

Not sure how this is really dumming things down.
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭

It also depends on the price set. Given that they are removing the green writ recipes from the writ rewards I can't imagine they will be setting the price too high but 500g (for example) is still quite a lot for a level 6 character looking to complete their 1st writ,

Maybe the better option should be keep the system the way it is but have a pass option to get a different writ or have a grocer sell the finished item for the writ but you make no profit from the writ but do get recipe drops so you eventually find the one you need (have gotten plenty of banana surprise from tier one writs). Obviously they are not changing it now so is what it is, probably little actual impact for those of us selling recipes but does seem a little too easy.

Meh is what it is.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought originally they were selling all recipes seeing as it is only the provisioning writs recipes then that's better I guess. Still will miss selling them for high to offset the cost of other overpriced items, but guess this is fair for everyone.

At least on the PC, Green Writ recipes are selling for about 59 gold, or less.

Of course that infamous Bog Iron Ale and Lemon Flower Matze might still command 129 or so gold.

Edited by Nestor on February 5, 2016 8:00PM

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like this change. Provisioning was never rocket science, although I do think it is probably the most interesting crafting system in the game. I really wish they'd make Alchemy have that kind of interest and variety. Provisioning is based upon RECIPES, which honestly should not be so complicated to acquire. Hell, I'm not clear why you would need to steal a recipe, when you could simply get a quill and parchment and scribble down someone's recipe and leave theirs alone. It might be an instance of stealing intellectual property, so maybe the local Chef's guild will hunt you down for it (but I seriously doubt it). The way recipes work never made a whole lot of sense to me, but I understand there has to be progression. If you compare Alchemy to Provisioning though, Alchemy is far more straight forward. If they were to make them comparable it would be a matter of taking X+Y+Z ingredients and applying A,B or C processes (grill/boil/bake/ferment) to them. They didn't even need to have recipes, they could have made it exploratory like Alchemy but they did not.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭

At least on the PC, Green Writ recipes are selling for about 59 gold, or less.

Of course that infamous Bog Iron Ale and Lemon Flower Matze might still command 129 or so gold.

5k on PS4 for the rare ones like baked tater, mazte, banana surprise but everything is inflated here so sell for high or get *** when you need something.
    Edited by bryanhaas on February 5, 2016 8:20PM

• BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like this change. Provisioning was never rocket science, although I do think it is probably the most interesting crafting system in the game. I really wish they'd make Alchemy have that kind of interest and variety. Provisioning is based upon RECIPES, which honestly should not be so complicated to acquire. Hell, I'm not clear why you would need to steal a recipe, when you could simply get a quill and parchment and scribble down someone's recipe and leave theirs alone. It might be an instance of stealing intellectual property, so maybe the local Chef's guild will hunt you down for it (but I seriously doubt it). The way recipes work never made a whole lot of sense to me, but I understand there has to be progression. If you compare Alchemy to Provisioning though, Alchemy is far more straight forward. If they were to make them comparable it would be a matter of taking X+Y+Z ingredients and applying A,B or C processes (grill/boil/bake/ferment) to them. They didn't even need to have recipes, they could have made it exploratory like Alchemy but they did not.

It would've been quite interesting to discover recipes by experimenting.
    Nowadays though a list of all the possible recipes would be on the internet pretty quickly.
    EU PC.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you OP. Dont get me wrong I used to get driven mad not being able to do a writ due to missing recipe, but then you hunt and eventually find them. And when you finally do is satisfying. So now everyone will be a L50 Provisioner it takes any challenge away. Its a very weird change. But people like easy instant gratification......
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    I'm with you OP. Dont get me wrong I used to get driven mad not being able to do a writ due to missing recipe, but then you hunt and eventually find them. And when you finally do is satisfying. So now everyone will be a L50 Provisioner it takes any challenge away. Its a very weird change. But people like easy instant gratification......

All 8 of my characters were L50 in provisioning before they were 20th level. Didn't take any skill, just finding some green recipes and looting every bit of food I saw in a delve etc. Was pretty tedious before I started using CookeryWiz (especially when I made over 1000 fishy sticks in 1 sitting).
    EU PC.
  • ShadowscaleSithis
    ShadowscaleSithis
    ✭✭✭
    SO recipes will be on merchants now? Not good for people exploring, we won't be able to sell recipes that are needed or food for people to complete the writs. I have sold probably 50 recipes since I came back in the game about 2 months ago. Most of those were low level.
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    One way to give an incentive to exploring but make sure that completing writs didn't depend on RNG (which no other type of writ does) would be to allow green writ recipes to be purchased from merchants but remove recieving recipes from writ rewards (except Psychic Ambrosia). I'd expect the prices of blue and purple recipes and foods/drinks would increase a fair bit if this was done.
    EU PC.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SO recipes will be on merchants now? Not good for people exploring, we won't be able to sell recipes that are needed or food for people to complete the writs. I have sold probably 50 recipes since I came back in the game about 2 months ago. Most of those were low level.

Depends how much they cost. I sell green recipes for at least three times face value, blues and purples for a lot more.

Hopefully only the green recipes needed for writs will be on sale, and hopefully they will apply the usual kind of multiplier, so if you sell a recipe to a vendor for 9 gold it will cost 90 to buy it. That way the trade in recipes won't be affected.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5k on PS4 for the rare ones like baked tater, mazte, banana surprise but everything is inflated here so sell for high or get *** when you need something.

I have heard about these prices. All I can say is I would not know half the recipes I do now if those were the prices I had to pay on the PC.

• Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeez. In our guild bank we have like several copies of all green writ recipes all levels.

How hard do people have to literally work at messing this up to not have them?

I have all lvl writ recipes on all 8 chars, and 3 are storage alts.

For real.
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    Islyn wrote: »
    Jeez. In our guild bank we have like several copies of all green writ recipes all levels.

How hard do people have to literally work at messing this up to not have them?

I have all lvl writ recipes on all 8 chars, and 3 are storage alts.

For real.

then you must be lucky, not all guilds do this, or even allow their members to have access to the guild bank. What guild is this? I for one, think that the provisioning could have been made easier. When I started, it didn't really make sense that we couldn't explore how to make things like we could in Alchemy. Or that I would need a provisioning recipe to learn how to cook a simple bit of pork or beef. For more complicated recipes i can imagine needing to find a writ, but for the super simple ones, I don't think it should be necessary.
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...