The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Thundering Presence Damage Buff Question

Aspi90
Aspi90
✭✭✭
Hey,

does this 200% Damage Buff for 2,5 sec actually work? I am on Console, so I have no numbers, but it feels not like my WB deals 200% more damage.
  • Miwerton
    Miwerton
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but only from thundering pressence nothing else.
    Reason why it still sucks to be a sorc stam on single targert.
  • Aspi90
    Aspi90
    ✭✭✭
    What? That only effects the skill itself? Damn it, why would anyone come up with this...

Is the skill intended to do buff only the damage from itself? Would be a pointless Buff.
  • Miwerton
    Miwerton
    ✭✭✭
    Welcom to Zos logic, as good as a rambling mad hermit :( .
    Edited by Miwerton on February 1, 2016 12:11AM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miwerton wrote: »
    Welcom to Zos logic, as good as a rambling mad hermit :( .

To be fair, 200% damage would be ridiculous if it affected other skills.

TP--> WB (200%)--> WB (200% + empowered). Wonder if I could get a 100k hit?
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly Thunderous Presence is way too expensive to use as a stamina sorcerer. It gives 2.5s decent damage DoT before dropping off and a short mobility buff (and a longer armour buff). To maintain either mobility or damage you will have to reapply it every 2.5s and hence chew through you r stamina which you need for damage and defence. It also does not proc surge so you won't get any heals from it.

I recommend you switch to Boundless instead and use your magicka to power that and get the same armour buff + longer mobility. The minor DoT can still proc disintergrate (the only way a stamina sorcerer is ever going to process it). You lose some damage, but more than make up for it with better resource management and a less finicky rotation.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aspi90 wrote: »
    What? That only effects the skill itself? Damn it, why would anyone come up with this...

Is the skill intended to do buff only the damage from itself? Would be a pointless Buff.

#wrobelknowsbest
    Edited by Tankqull on February 1, 2016 10:46AM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• wskill
    wskill
    ✭✭
    Jar_Ek wrote: »
    Frankly Thunderous Presence is way too expensive to use as a stamina sorcerer. It gives 2.5s decent damage DoT before dropping off and a short mobility buff (and a longer armour buff). To maintain either mobility or damage you will have to reapply it every 2.5s and hence chew through you r stamina which you need for damage and defence. It also does not proc surge so you won't get any heals from it.

I recommend you switch to Boundless instead and use your magicka to power that and get the same armour buff + longer mobility. The minor DoT can still proc disintergrate (the only way a stamina sorcerer is ever going to process it). You lose some damage, but more than make up for it with better resource management and a less finicky rotation.

I was doing both and i dont read guides and have no interest in doing premade builds.

Just seemed a good idea combined with the magres/def lowering oh&shield prod.
    server: EU. platform: PS4. psn: Calamaistr (empty FR will be deleted)

Wskill: Breton, as nb, bow, alchemy, tailor, woodsman. pec: hooded.
    -
    Ipos: Redguard, strm sor, mace & shield, enchanter. pec: beard and mohawk.
    -
    Friend: Altmer, siph nb, healstaff, sage. pec: slim.
  • Aspi90
    Aspi90
    ✭✭✭
    At least stam sorc can´t get any worse.

Yes, of course I am switching now the skill. I only choose the stamina moprh cause of the bad skill description.
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @wskill Did you post in the wrong thread? Anyway stam sorcerers tanks are perfectly viable but tend to use slightly different morphs than PvP crit snb builds.
  • Aspi90
    Aspi90
    ✭✭✭
    @wskill Did you post in the wrong thread? Anyway stam sorcerers tanks are perfectly viable but tend to use slightly different morphs than PvP crit snb builds.

SnB better for pvp than DW for a stam sorc?
    It´s a shame, that as a crit Build with crit surge you can´t use the "crit" weapon tree....
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Thundering Presence in my stam sorc rotation and I have it up 100% of the time. I don't bother refreshing it every 3 seconds, just before it wears off. It's not the bread and butter of a stam sorc; it's supplementary. My only beef with it is that it deals shock damage instead of physical, which means to buff it would require splitting points into Elemental Expert and Mighty. I don't split my points, but it's not a negligible DoT.

What's a better alternative? It costs very little stamina so I don't accept the argument that it's worthless to have. It's got more survival utility than something like Brawler for a comparable DoT. For a 2H build I have yet to find a better alternative. For DW there is Rending Slashes. One could use caltrops instead but one can and should use that on their off-bar anyway, not as a replacement. Also note that having Thundering Presence slotted gives a 2% increase to weapon damage.
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aspi90 DW unfortunately has DoTs, a channel, an aoe defence, aoe damage and a ranged attack. Of these only the aoe damage and ranged attack work with surge, and the ranged attack is not great (zerg steel tornado would work I guess). However I was not advocating snb really, although it can work in PVP. My pref is 2h / bow generally.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you certain of this? I tested it somewhat recently and noticed incoming heals from it, albeit minor. I could very well have been mistake however.
    Are you speaking for PvP or PvE? There are other sorc abilities which would benefit from the use of a stam sorc's limited magicka pool in PvP, such as Defensive Rune and Crit Surge. The stamina cost of Thundering Presence is actually quite low, and I've never had an issue maintaining it for 100% of fights. I agree that the Major Expedition buff should last for longer, but as it stands it is long enough for any quick sprints around keeps and resources, and for virtually any PvE scenario, considering Major Expedition is only situationally useful in PvE combat.
    Edited by Autolycus on February 1, 2016 9:20PM
  • wskill
    wskill
    ✭✭

Tend to what? I just use whatever morph fits the predestined idea i follow for my character's persona.
    server: EU. platform: PS4. psn: Calamaistr (empty FR will be deleted)

Wskill: Breton, as nb, bow, alchemy, tailor, woodsman. pec: hooded.
    -
    Ipos: Redguard, strm sor, mace & shield, enchanter. pec: beard and mohawk.
    -
    Friend: Altmer, siph nb, healstaff, sage. pec: slim.