The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crown Store Pricing Discussion

Lazrael
Lazrael
✭✭✭
Today I logged in and thought, "Oh yeah the Nord Warrior costume that could be neat to run around in." Of course then I looked at the price (basically $20 US). Then I thought to myself, "Man I'd really like to spend my spare cash on that for the fun, but $20 seems way too steep."

Just got me to wondering about what the rest of the community thought.

Personally I'd be much more likely to spend a lot more money in the Crown Store if individual items weren't so expensive, and I would do so very happily, but this pricing just seems very steep for some fun cosmetics.

Anyway, thought it'd be a good chat.

Edited by Lazrael on January 31, 2016 5:18AM
Artists and Theives...
  • ShadowDisciple
    ShadowDisciple
    ✭✭✭✭
    quantity in this case nets more money imo..
  • Iove
    Iove
    ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly my thoughts. Looked at it on preview, went to buy it thinking it was 700 crowns or so, as all outfits are around that price. Saw that it was 2k crowns and was shocked. Is it 3 times as good as other outfits? Nope. Not buying. No regrets.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got it myself because I already had the crowns to do so. But I can understand and even agree with the notion that it should of been cheaper. I dont think it should of been 700 Crowns but about 5 dollars cheaper would of been perfect in my opinion.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I resent the Crown Store in general. I'm still one of those players that's always going to be peeved that we lost the sub model. I think the Crown Store is actually a detriment to the development of the game. There are so many awesome things ZOS that ZOS could do that probably wont ever be done because of Crown Store consideration.

As for the pricing. It's ridiculous, but people are obviously paying it. I'm sure ZOS has made tens of thousands of dollars on that one costume by now. As long as a good deal of people buy things for that price there is ZERO reason for ZOS to lower the price.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Iove
    Iove
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got it myself because I already had the crowns to do so. But I can understand and even agree with the notion that it should of been cheaper. I dont think it should of been 700 Crowns but about 5 dollars cheaper would of been perfect in my opinion.

Well it doesn't even look worth 700 on my female char. I just like collecting things. If you look, you can see the chest has more detail for males, and the shoulders aren't so tiny.
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't get it because it doesn't appeal to me but I've no problem with the price.
    A lot of people said things along the line as its as much as a dlc, outrageous, but if the price of costumes and other cosmetics helps keep the price of dlc reasonable I'm happy.
    Then again I'm not a collector. I have 1 pet from the CS atm. I'll probably get some more stuff eventually but just a few items that suit my characters.
    Babeester Gor is the Axe Goddess, the Implacable Anger, the Avenging Daughter and the Earth Guardian.
    Vriddi gra-Yildnarz, Dragonknight and Smith
    Myrvanwe, Sorcerer and Enchanter
    Tsajirra, Nightblade and Clothier
    Vilvyni Indarys, Dragonknight and Woodworker
    Arielle Alouette, Templar and Provisioner
    Fishes in Troubled Waters, Nightblade and Alchemist
    Shanika Some Long Title I'd Change If I Could, Templar and Aspirant Jeweller
    Pippi Longhorn, Nightblade, Ne'er-do-well, and "Tribute" character
    EU PC.
  • Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    I resent the Crown Store in general. I'm still one of those players that's always going to be peeved that we lost the sub model. I think the Crown Store is actually a detriment to the development of the game. There are so many awesome things ZOS that ZOS could do that probably wont ever be done because of Crown Store consideration.

As for the pricing. It's ridiculous, but people are obviously paying it. I'm sure ZOS has made tens of thousands of dollars on that one costume by now. As long as a good deal of people buy things for that price there is ZERO reason for ZOS to lower the price.

Well see I actually feel the same, but that aside this is the game now. But I feel that not only would ZOS make more money pricing things more reasonably, but you would have less players like myself feeling disappointed that we can justify the steep cost of fun cosmetics in a video game.

On the whole just seems kinda crappy.
    Artists and Theives...
  • Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    I guess more me it just sad because I want to spend the money, but I just can't justify it.
    Artists and Theives...
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This gets me worried about the cost for other future things 20 dollars for a friggin costume is unreasonable. I hope this massive price increase trend will not make it to DLC especially since exclusive gear will most likely be BOP locked behind them...
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've Thought for a while that ZOS should offer a premium subscription... $20... $25 that is an "all in" sub. You get access to everything

All DLC
    All Crown Store pets
    All Crown Store Mounts
    All Crown Store Costumes

2000 or 2500 crowns per month to spend on consumables
    XP boost
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

They could call it ESO Plus Unlimited. :lol:

Edited by Gidorick on January 31, 2016 2:06AM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This game exists for the sole purpose of milking you for every possible dollar. Nothing to see here, move along.
  • Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    This game exists for the sole purpose of milking you for every possible dollar. Nothing to see here, move along.

yeah and that's a good internal attitude...

anyway... Idk , its just a major let down. I have payed and contributed to this game since beta and this has just made me feel like this game just isn't for me.
    Artists and Theives...
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is just an expensive outfit.

If you cannot afford it then there are cheaper outfits out there. There are free outfits as well in the game.

Making it expensive just targets a category of customers that wants it because:
    1. It looks good.
    2. Money is not a problem for them.
    3. It is expensive meaning it will be more rare.

Just get over it either by buying it or by not buying it.

Edited by Didgerion on January 31, 2016 6:13AM
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lazrael wrote: »

anyway... Idk , its just a major let down. I have payed and contributed to this game since beta and this has just made me feel like this game just isn't for me.

Really a cosmetic item's price is your major let down?

It is this easy: if you cannot justify the price then don't buy it.
  • Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »
    Lazrael wrote: »

Really a cosmetic item's price is your major let down?

It is this easy: if you cannot justify the price then don't buy it.

Yeah it actually kinda is. Feel a bit exclusionary when I have to pay the same amount for a cosmetic in a video game as I would for an article of real world clothing, given that video games are a form of escapism.

Yeah at the end of the day there's nothing for it, just gotta buy or not buy. But I do think its a matter that is at least worth some thoughtful discussion.
    Artists and Theives...
  • Diab3ticBatman
    So I was a bit overdramatic in my first post and for those who saw that...sorry. Anyway, while I do agree that the price is steep, I think it is only an issue for those who won't pay it. ZOS knows this, and will continue to release items at that price. To me it's all about if I like it or not. If I really want it, price is a non issue. If I don't, I could care less if it's 100 crowns or 5000 crowns. As long as the game remains B2P I will never complain about pricing for the crown store. If it wasn't for that we would still be forced to sub every month without it.
    Edited by Diab3ticBatman on February 2, 2016 3:19AM
    The Wolfpack Guard is looking for members on Xbox One. If you are with the Aldmeri Dominion, and looking for a good guild with good people who will help each other and work together, this guild may be for you.
    WE RUN AS ONE!
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are looking at this the wrong way.
    Here is my working theory: The price is actually not 2000... it is 500 - as in 5$.
    This because Z considers the "free" 1500 per month one gets for a subscription as a baseline for all their pricing.

The whole transition from a mandatory monthly fee system to what we have now was a marketing ruse, nothing more, nothing less. In reality we are still on the same old monthly sub system today; it is only more (or less) hidden... with that in mind the hero costume is "only" an extra 5 bucks.
    Which is actually still acceptable for a micro-transaction store.

On the other hand... if one dares to refuse to take part in this "new" subscription model, they make sure you get the message when you actually want something from the Clown store at full price. Loud and clear and painful.
    Well... that's only my theory. Just a theory. Ofc.
  • Diab3ticBatman
    tengri wrote: »
    Here is my working theory: The price is actually not 2000... it is 500 - as in 5$.
    This because Z considers the "free" 1500 per month one gets for a subscription as a baseline for all their pricing.

The whole transition from a mandatory monthly fee system to what we have now was a marketing ruse, nothing more, nothing less. In reality we are still on the same old monthly sub system today; it is only more (or less) hidden... with that in mind the hero costume is "only" an extra 5 bucks.

On the other hand... if one dares to refuse to take part in this "new" subscription model, they make sure you get the message when you actually want something from the Clown store at full price. Loud and clear and painful.

This actually makes a lot of sense and is something I had yet to think about. Your theory could very well ring true, and if so, it would explain why mounts go up to 3000. $30 for a horse, or actually, only $15 if you are a subscriber.

The Wolfpack Guard is looking for members on Xbox One. If you are with the Aldmeri Dominion, and looking for a good guild with good people who will help each other and work together, this guild may be for you.
    WE RUN AS ONE!
  • WarLord2905
    WarLord2905
    ✭✭✭
    IMO the hero costume didnt look that great and definatley not worth 2k crowns (unsure if any cosmetic would be) and there are definatley better outfits availble, especially the free ones like dark seducer & mannimarco but i do play a sorc and nightblade so if they were to bring out the nightblade and the sorceror outfits from the cinematic trailer I might have a different view. I am guessing the price is also why I have hardly seen any other players running around in the costume, unlike when others have come out.
    NA Server XBOX 1
    BAWS Order Of Wolves
  • Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    tengri wrote: »

Sure but that seems pretty crass too. That leaves players who may be unable to pay the subscription model further unable to support ZOS and acquire a fun cosmetic at the same time.

Sure, I suppose it could be a potentially profitable psychology, but I'm not sure I agree with it.
    Artists and Theives...
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And that's why ZOS constantly increases prices in the crown store. People say: 'yeah, it's expensive' / 'it should be cheaper', but despite this they still buy it cause they always 'have some spare crowns to spend'. Except for our dissatisfaction expressed on the forum (which ZOS doesn't care about btw), there is no clear signal for ZOS that the prices are too damn high. They still get a lot of money from it. If people stop buying it, the prices will surely drop.
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    I've Thought for a while that ZOS should offer a premium subscription... $20... $25 that is an "all in" sub. You get access to everything

All DLC
    All Crown Store pets
    All Crown Store Mounts
    All Crown Store Costumes

2000 or 2500 crowns per month to spend on consumables
    XP boost
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

They could call it ESO Plus Unlimited. :lol:

Why would they do that? Some players can be milked for well over $25, but only as long as they can not have everything for just $25.
  • Idielots
    Idielots
    Soul Shriven
    Sure there is some psychology in all this to encourage you to buy more. It's how they eat.

That aside, I think ESO is about as square a deal as you can get. Especially on a game of this scale and quality. With ESO Plus you get access to all content and all your money back as crowns to spend or save. I say that because ESOPlus is $15 and it's $15 for 1500 Crowns. If you stop ESO Plus you lose nothing other than XPAC access. Which you could buy with your monthly crowns if you save them. It's almost a no brainer to subscribe if you plan on buy stuff from the store.

So yeah, if you are not a plus member store items feel really steep. I also agree the $20 for the single outfit is a little over the top, but no one is making me buy it...

If you think I am being a bit of a sympathizer with "the man" or a "fan boy" consider the following before unleashing on me.

LOTRO offers included currency for "subscribers." But it's wasn't enough to buy anything useful last time I played. They also charge for expansions unless you sub. Even if you an Xpac and don't sub, you get hit with money caps, chat limitations etc.

WoW charges $10-$30 for mounts, pets and head pieces. You pay $15 for a sub and get nothing extra. You have to buy Xpacs for $40 a shot. Cancel your sub and you are locked out of the game. (edit: I forgot about the free to play to 20 characters)

I've run across other freemium and F2P games with truly crazy shop prices. What's worse, some games are angled against you so the average player almost has to buy things to progress. Mobile games are the worst offender in this area! Some can charge more than $100 for "consumable" spins or turns -- it's nuts.

And doesn't D&D charge something like .75 or a $1.00 for a key to open a loot box? That's serious greed!

(edit: also cleaned up some typos)
    Edited by Idielots on February 3, 2016 6:59PM