Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Eidetic Memory Book Locations (Overlooked/Not Appearing/Lost/etc.)

Eradrann
Eradrann
✭✭✭
So I've been running low on things to do and have taken up trying to collect books in the Lore Library. I've had a lot of success finding a bunch thanks to a combination ESOhead and the uesp/wiki. Anyways, some of the books I need, either aren't in their said spot or I can no longer gain access to their area.

Examples:
(Group - Title - Location)
Criminal Correspondence - "A Smuggler's Plan" - Auridon (The Aquifier) (can't gain access anymore as I've long since completed the quest that 'used' it)
Diaries and Logs - "Gordag's Journal" - Altanaz Ruins (I checked the final boss room, found Gordag's body, but no journal anywhere)
The World and Its Creatures - "Heart of Valenwood" - Greenshade (NE, near Vinedusk camp) (checked, and no book anywhere in the camp)
QUEST ORIENTED - Tales of Tamriel - "Sumiril's Book, Passage 1-6" - Greenshade (Labyrinth) (long since completed the quest, but can't enter or find the writing to read now)
Handbills, Posters, and Decrees - "Shipyard Workers, Take Warning!" - Alik'r Desert (can't find near docks, boats)

And there's a handful of others with similar problems as well. Am I missing the actual location of some of these? Is there somewhere I can check writings from past quests I'm missing? Any other helpful guides? Hopefully something or what I'm trying to say makes sense...
Xbox Series X - GT: VintageVinyl450 NA Player on the EU Server (always looking for help with dungeon/job dailies)Main - Eradrann, AD, Wood Elf, Bow/Bow Stamblade, 1500+CP
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes the books have multiple copies so that if one is quest locked, then you can go to the other location.

However there are some books that I think are just in one place. For example, in Rivenspire there is a Deadric Plane that you go to for a quest. As you approach the Exit activator you can see the book that is in that place. Its kind of just past the indicator and hence not really noticeable until I am on top if it. However I never seem to see it until I have clicked on the activator to to leave, and it's too late then.

So, I think this is one thing that may never be clearable unless you set out on a new character to grab all the books as you go.
    QUEST ORIENTED - Tales of Tamriel - "Sumiril's Book, Passage 1-6" - Greenshade (Labyrinth) (long since completed the quest, but can't enter or find the writing to read now)
    Handbills, Posters, and Decrees - "Shipyard Workers, Take Warning!" - Alik'r Desert (can't find near docks, boats)

If you have done this quest, you have read those books as you can't complete it unless you read the books as you go through it. The game probably does not tally them for some reason.

For the one in Alikir, did you look at both dock locations? The other one is a point of interest location. This one may only be present during the quest for that city too, but not sure.

That one in Vinedusk I don't think is in the camp, unless its in one of the structures. But I think I have seen it a short distance away. I will have to check to see if I have that one, but the title sounds familiar. Did you try near the quest area?

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Eradrann
    Eradrann
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've discovered some locations, like I'll go back to a Mage/Fighter Guild (different ones in various cities) and a few times there has been a book or two I missed in the quest that spawns there apparently. Also a few various "dungeons" or caves will have papers outside. It's just gonna bug me for a few (like some of the quest specific ones) as I want to collect everything! :D

The Alik'r one might actually be quest oriented as well... I maybe remember "reading" it but it's not showing as well? It's supposed to be in Tava's Blessing, but I checked Wayfarer's Wharf over in Sentinel (being a POI) but didn't find anything there.

And for my last example, I checked near the quest area, didn't find anything there. Might comb over it once more later. Supposed to be near Hectahame, some ruins in northern Greenshade.

I should mention (if you didn't notice) I am on the console. Some of the guides locations, the book didn't show at the given spot but did elsewhere in the same "area". And I still have a handful of other books I can't find due to similar circumstances given above. I guess I'll just hope Zenimax/Bethesda/whoever might figure out some fixes, but I won't hold my breathe...

Appreciate your input though, @Nestor !
    Xbox Series X - GT: VintageVinyl450 NA Player on the EU Server (always looking for help with dungeon/job dailies)Main - Eradrann, AD, Wood Elf, Bow/Bow Stamblade, 1500+CP
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And for my last example, I checked near the quest area, didn't find anything there. Might comb over it once more later. Supposed to be near Hectahame, some ruins in northern Greenshade.

That whole area gets weird after you do the quest there. Ever noticed that you can see the Guild Trader NPC at the Guild Kiosk near the Wayshrine before you do the quest, but not after? It has a different instance. (they might have fixed this in a recent patch)

I have noticed since the beginning that they do move books outside some quest areas after the quests are over, but they don't seem to do it for all of them.

Also, don't ignore the bookselves, they are a great source of Lore Books. Not sure if this update has made it to the consoles yet, but now the game has an indicator when you read a Lore Book. Never knew there were so many in the game. I tended to ignore books after finding most of the skill books and leveling the Mages so there a a lot of books I have not read.

Edited by Nestor on January 27, 2016 4:33PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"