The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ETA on the Universal Style Item?

Tholian1
Tholian1
✭✭✭✭✭
When will the universal style item that was mentioned in ESO Live be added to the crown store?
PS4 Pro NA
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    That will be introduced in the Thieves Guild update. :)
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Thank you.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is this "Universal style" item?
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowHvo wrote: »

My understanding of it is that it is a style item that can be used to make any style of weapons or armor. It will be replacing the malachite that is currently for sale in the crown store.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

As @Tholian1 said, you will be able to purchase the item with Crowns and it can be use to craft any style in the game provided you know the motif. So you could craft Mercenary with it, Bosmer, Daedric or even Akaviri.
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, will this unbind Laurels as presumably Laurels were bound because they would be in the Crown store at some point and won't be any longer?
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paulington wrote: »

As @Tholian1 said, you will be able to purchase the item with Crowns and it can be use to craft any style in the game provided you know the motif. So you could craft Mercenary with it, Bosmer, Daedric or even Akaviri.

Oh.. Well, thats going to make crafting the new gear much easier. Noice.
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, will this unbind Laurels as presumably Laurels were bound because they would be in the Crown store at some point and won't be any longer?

I would hope so, this would stop the shenanigans with Malachite and Goldscale etc too.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please this.

If the only reason they were bound to begin with truly is that they were intended to be crown store items (and that seems like sketchy logic to begin with) then they can be made to be unbound, correct?

Binding of items should be used for game balance reasons and perhaps for certain achievement related items like trials. Binding should NEVER be used for monetary reasons including v16 chest drop gear that up until that point was never bound on pickup.
    Edited by redspecter23 on January 22, 2016 8:36PM
  • I55UE5
    I55UE5
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow this is great to hear. I myself think mercenary armor is the best looking sets in the game. Unfortunately my crafter is my V16 Tank that I don't really enjoy playing, that also has not been suited up. I've been saving up mats to gear him for Pledges to get Laurels. Glad I read this, was gonna craft the set tomorrow haha!
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Please this.

If the only reason they were bound to begin with truly is that they were intended to be crown store items (and that seems like sketchy logic to begin with) then they can be made to be unbound, correct?

Binding of items should be used for game balance reasons and perhaps for certain achievement related items like trials. Binding should NEVER be used for monetary reasons including v16 chest drop gear that up until that point was never bound on pickup.

Just for clarity, the "logic" wasn't to make them rarer by making them bound (although that's a byproduct), the logic is that crown store purchases cannot be transferred - P2W stuff. This is why Malachite is a bound item - you can buy it in the Crown Store. But we have Malachite shards which aren't bound. By contrast Laurels have no "shard" equivalent.
    Edited by Dominoid on January 23, 2016 12:00AM
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well,if you already know the motif then why wouldnt you be able to craft it without this universal item? It would be redundant. Once you learn a motif,you can craft armor and weapons with it.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »

Well,if you already know the motif then why wouldnt you be able to craft it without this universal item? It would be redundant. Once you learn a motif,you can craft armor and weapons with it.

Maybe it replaces the material needed to craft i.e. moonstone,charcoal of remorse,palladium
  • I55UE5
    I55UE5
    ✭✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »

Convenience. Some motif materials are hard to come by.

Laurels most of all.

They only drop from Vet Dungeon final bosses, and they only drop if you currently know the mercenary motif. Chances increase up to 100% with all of the motif learned.

As stated above, the only way I could get Laurels right now is if i run dungeons on my character who knows SOME of the mercenary motif. So its not even a 100% chance to get a one. This character isnt geared correctly, he is basically a bank with all crafting professions maxed.
  • Twilix01
    Twilix01
    ✭✭✭
    Wait when and where was this announced? And will this mean laurels, malachite, and goldscale will stop being bind on pickup?