The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Merc motif,#19,chapter 4,bows,..I'm lost.

Volkodav
Volkodav
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I have all my crafting levels over 10 on my Vet,but every time I try to use the motif bit,it keeps saying that I must have level 9 of one of the crafts.I have only one that is at 10.The others are like 27,15,and 12. Am I doing something wrong?
Edited by Volkodav on January 21, 2016 8:51PM
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the level of the skill line it's referring to, it's the number of skill points you have in the first passive in any of the blacksmith / clothier / woodworking skill lines. The skill line needs to be at level 40 before you can spend 9 skill points in the associated passive.
    Edited by wayfarerx on January 21, 2016 8:56PM
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    It's not the level of the skill it's referring to, it's the number of skill points you have in the first passive in any of the blacksmith / clothier / woodworking skill lines. The skill needs to be at level 40 before you can spend 9 skill points in the associated passive.

Well,that was a very large waste of my money.I really wanted one of those bows. There wasnt any info,so I thought it was like other motifs.Thank you for the info though. :}
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »
    It's not the level of the skill it's referring to, it's the number of skill points you have in the first passive in any of the blacksmith / clothier / woodworking skill lines. The skill needs to be at level 40 before you can spend 9 skill points in the associated passive.

Well,that was a very large waste of my money.I really wanted one of those bows. There wasnt any info,so I thought it was like other motifs.Thank you for the info though. :}

Getting the skill line to 40 is not tough, just deconstruct everything you find for a few days and boom you're there.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Getting the skill line to 40 is not tough, just deconstruct everything you find for a few days and boom you're there.

Hehehe.I'll do that. I can rob everyone blind that has shields,staffs,or bows.Launder them,then decon them.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well,that was a very large waste of my money.
    Why wasted? Just get your woodworking skill to 40 and use the motif ...
    shades.gif

• Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Well,that was a very large waste of my money.
    Why wasted? Just get your woodworking skill to 40 and use the motif ...
    shades.gif

Yeah,I know. I just didnt think of it being that way.I have had no problems with anything regarding other motifs,and this just kinda threw me.
  • Daveheart
    Daveheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP, the tooltip is unclear, and I'm sure you're not the first to encounter this issue. As others have suggested, just hold onto the motif and continue to level your highest craft (blacksmithing, clothing, or woodworking). Once the skill is to a high enough level, spend nine skillpoints into the first passive (metalworking, tailoring, or woodworking), and then you'll be able to learn the motif on that character. I believe I've only got two of my eight character slots that don't have the entire motif learned at this point. There are actually several other motifs that work like this (Dwemer for one).
    Daggerfall Covenant (PC-NA)

The Order of Mundus | Nightfighters
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I appreciate you all being so nice about this.Some things we need to learn are as Daveheart pointed out.Some instructions arent too clear. I've learned a new thing now.How to use the chaptered motifs. :}
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hehehe.I'll do that. I can rob everyone blind that has shields,staffs,or bows.Launder them,then decon them.

I don't think you need to Launder them unless your transferring through the bank.

However if you do launder a stolen item, particularly the ones that have a lower value on them, they go to 0 when you launder. These items give 10% of the inspiration of a regular item. However a neat trick is to Launder the item, then improve it to Green, then decon it, you get full inspiration and use up some of those excess green tempers you have. Note, only bother improving the 0 Value items, any items that have value after laundering give full inspiration.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ahh.Another nice tip on crafting. :}
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although upgrading any white item to green will give you back a higher percentage of style mats and trait mats when deconstructing them. Steal or loot something in say, Daedric? Upgrading it to green gives you a MUCH better chance of getting back a Daedric Heart on decon as opposed to deconning a white item.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ooo! Guess what? You know how people say support never gets back to you as a real person? I just put up this thread about half an hour after writing support to see if it was me or not.I just got a reply! I was told basically what wayfarerx and Daveheart said. Here's what they said:

Greetings, my friend.
    Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Team!

I'm sorry to hear that you are unable to use your motif, I'd be happy to take a look for you to see if I can find out what's going on. Can you tell me which character you are trying to use the motif on?

Keep in mind that the number is not the level of your skill, but how many points have been spent in that skill tree. You will need 9 skill points spent in one of the three professions (Blacksmithing, Woodworking, or Clothing) to use the motif.

Warm Regards,
    Doug
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Team

Pretty nice if you ask me.