The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Looking to buy a crafting motif in crown store, which one?

Mcrakin
Mcrakin
I have been sitting on crowns for a while now and have been thinking about buying a motif. My blacksmith is level 26 and I don't have anyone over 30. I once saw someone pay someone and provide the material to make a piece of glass armor so that got me thinking it might be a decent way to make money at a low level and have some cool looking armor.
My concerns are
1. is this a way to make money?
2. Do you have to have your smiting skill at a certain level to be able to use the ones you can buy?
3. How readily available is the material I will need to make the new gear (ie, daedra hearts, dwemer scrap etc.)
4. Am I way to low a level to be considering this?
  • Atomsk27
    Atomsk27
    ✭✭
    Mcrakin wrote: »
    I have been sitting on crowns for a while now and have been thinking about buying a motif. My blacksmith is level 26 and I don't have anyone over 30. I once saw someone pay someone and provide the material to make a piece of glass armor so that got me thinking it might be a decent way to make money at a low level and have some cool looking armor.
    My concerns are
    2. Do you have to have your smiting skill at a certain level to be able to use the ones you can buy?
    3. How readily available is the material I will need to make the new gear (ie, daedra hearts, dwemer scrap etc.)

1. Sure, but you will need many traits researched to supply what people want. People aren't paying you just because you have a craft maxed out, they are paying for high end sets which require these traits. For example to craft twice born star you need 9 traits researched in 5 pieces of equipment. This will take a long time.
    2. A craft needs to be at lv 40 and you need the passive that allows you to use higher grade mats. For blacksmithing you would need metalworking at rank 9 to learn the motif.
    3. Most of the style materials for the higher end motifs drop from cadwells silver and gold. You can also by these from guild stores and decontructing gear.
    4. You can level your crafting skill to the max while your character level is still low. With all those skill points into a craft, you will be missing out on skill points that could be used for combat passive and active attacking skills. Sure this is okay if you plan on using that character as a crafter but it's best to level them up higher so you will have more skill points to max out the others crafts.
    Edited by Atomsk27 on January 18, 2016 12:31AM
  • AJ_1988
    AJ_1988
    ✭✭✭
    I used to make a killing making imperial when the game came to Xbox as I have the imperial edition. Not sure how much demand is for it these days. I brought glass and personally I do t think it looks that great. The heavy is alright but nothing special. The standard race ones are easy to find I find them all the time in cyrodiil at the starting gates in backpacks. Dwemer is alright and easy to get if you grind the mats are a little harder tho. Barbaric and ancient elf had a market but not sure these days. And daedric is pretty bland.

Good idea is try and find people that want stuff made and see what style people want most and go from there. You
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To add to the comments above, one of the style materials (so far) only drops in dungeons and is bound to account. Mercenary style looks great and is very popular, but you will have to supply the Laurels yourself.

That said, I haven't seen much of a market on PC NA for crafting. People want stuff made, but they don't want to pay really enough to be worth the time for the crafter. The exception seems to be nirnhorned items, and low level gear. Lower level players are typically low on gold but often more willing to pay something than V16s who know there is probably someone in their guild or friends list that will do it for free if they are just patient.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would buy glass or wait for ancient Orc. The other ones are cheap and easy enough to buy/find in game.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xivkyn is probably the best to get. Looks the best and charcoal is easy to get. Kill about 4 mobs in IC and get 100 Stones.

Dwemer frame is formally but with a cooldown.

Primal and Barbaric you get mats from silver, so vet 1-5.

Deadric and ancient elf gold so vet 6-10.

Of course, you can buy them from guild stores, but at the mercy of stock. Nobody farms them really, so might not be many about.

You can buy malachite to make Glass armour from the crown store or fond shard in chests. So not reliable farming.

I'd definitely go xivkyn though.
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually, in order to learn the Glass Motif you need to invest all 10 skill points into the main passive of at least one of the following skill lines: clothing/woodworking/blacksmithing. Yet most of the other rare motifs (like Daedric, Dwemer, Xivkyn, Mercenary) requires you to invest 9/10 skill points.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have to do that for crown ones though?

I thought crown ones you could do straight away...
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Do you have to do that for crown ones though?

I thought crown ones you could do straight away...

Hmm good question :smile:
    I've never bought any motifs from the crown store but they are acquired as a motif book added to the inventory right? If so, I think that the game would not differentiate books as those 'traditional' found in game and those bought from the crown store.
    But maybe I am wrong...
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're going to buy one, buy Akaviri. Everything else is pretty darned cheap gold-wise these days.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mcrakin wrote: »
    My concerns are

You don't really make money equipment crafting. Even if you find someone who is willing to pay you, the time you spend making the stuff is better spent farming for things that people buy on a regular basis like crafting mats.

What you do by equipment crafting is save money and make your character better able to farm mobs for gold and loot drops you can sell.

So, buy the Motif because you like the look for your own armor. And, for Glass, I will tell you that getting enough shards to make a full set of gear is going to take a lot of time and a lot of that time will be grinding treasure chests to find treasure maps that lead to chests that drop the shards. No one is going to pay you for that time.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Mcrakin
    Mcrakin
    Thank you all for the information, I will put off considering a motif till my blacksmith is higher level