Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

460 V16 materials wasted

JacobyRust
JacobyRust
✭✭
Wrong press of a button and bam all the materials I worked for gone...and since ZOS and their infinite wisdom decide customer service isn't a thing I have no hope of ever getting them back. Yep time to move on from this game now.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you deconstruct items that you crafted yourself you'll get a noticable amout of the materials back. (About 40-50% on a max level crafter from my experience).
    And in my opinion loosing half of the materials is reasonable when someone doesn't pay attention on what he's doing.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How could you lose 460 mats in one press of a button?
  • JacobyRust
    JacobyRust
    ✭✭
    Not a literal one button press I just wasn't tabed over to set pieces and crafted the wrong thing. I'm not blaming ZOS btw I lm aware I made the mistake. I'm just frustrated that it won't be fixed considering the time, money, and effort I invest in game. To lose everything over a simple mistake is a bit devastating. Also I got 100 pieces back from decon well under half
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to life. Things you do have repercussions. Staffing is irrelevant. As a policy, they shouldn't fix stuff like that for people.

Are you using a gamepad? I could see myself making a mistake like this on a gamepad. When I play games with gamepads, I often press the wrong button. Probably not though when crafting. I am insanely careful when crafting, especially with high value items. Double and triple check. I'm very neurotic.
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Measure twice, cut once. Good habit of any tradesman
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • JacobyRust
    JacobyRust
    ✭✭
    I'll keep that in mind if I decide to give it another 12 hours of grinding.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Making v16 gear was scary as hell for me for the fear of making a mistake. Probably took me an hour to make everything lol.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, VR16 crafting is NOT FUN these days. It's serious, scary business. I am a crafter, can craft everything, big stock, rich, and even i am nervous with every VR16 item. I shut off TS and music and triple-check everything. When i get orders through mail, i often also get whispers, "did you get it?", "Are the amounts correct", "Are yo done?", "Did you already send them back?", "Can't see in my mail!, help!". Fear is strong in crafting these days. I can imagine my clients gnawing their fingernails. For them it's all their savings, and they might lose it. People order only sure sets, minimizing risks, instead of exploring possiblities, experimenting, enjoying. *I* have lost several hundreds of VR16 mats when i made errors and silently fixed them from my own stock.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Dexter411
    Dexter411
    ✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    Yeah, VR16 crafting is NOT FUN these days. It's serious, scary business. I am a crafter, can craft everything, big stock, rich, and even i am nervous with every VR16 item. I shut off TS and music and triple-check everything. When i get orders through mail, i often also get whispers, "did you get it?", "Are the amounts correct", "Are yo done?", "Did you already send them back?", "Can't see in my mail!, help!". Fear is strong in crafting these days. I can imagine my clients gnawing their fingernails. For them it's all their savings, and they might lose it. People order only sure sets, minimizing risks, instead of exploring possiblities, experimenting, enjoying. *I* have lost several hundreds of VR16 mats when i made errors and silently fixed them from my own stock.

I know that feeling. I spend over 30min just to make sure everything is like the person wanted. I told him i was finishing quest while i sit there on crafting station checking everything. Imagine if You had server rollback, heart attack guaranteed. Btw, last time i checked You get more profit selling vr9-vr15 mats to NPC rather then othe people. Yeah, Good Job ZOS, well done.
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you deconstruct items that you crafted yourself you'll get a noticable amout of the materials back. (About 40-50% on a max level crafter from my experience).
    And in my opinion loosing half of the materials is reasonable when someone doesn't pay attention on what he's doing.

I'm sorry but that's not accurate. Deconstructing a V16 piece of gear gives less than 20 of that material back. Considering a Chest piece takes 150 mats for it, it's more like 13% return if that.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    Well I bet you wont make that mistake again..
    life lesson #1
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also lost mats when i did top tier gear writs. There is a bug where the crafting table silently switches to VR16 when VR15 was originally selected. ZOS even claims it's fixed, but it's not. Now i do top tier gear writs with only one crafter VERY carefully. All others have downgraded back to Craglorn gear writs.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Zouni
    Zouni
    ✭✭✭
    I have made similiar mistakes. Made vr16 gold gear at a armor set location only to realize that I did not select the set for its ability and made regular armor instead. Painful, costly mistake!
    Nyxtes - NB
    Nyxta - Sorc
    Mastrofonoss - DK
    Gr Blue - Temp
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    People order only sure sets, minimizing risks, instead of exploring possiblities, experimenting, enjoying.

When I am trying out a new crafted set now, I make it in VR14 White both the old and the new. Then compare just those items on my character to see which is more effective between the two (not what I had on) then once I know what is going to work, I make it in VR15 or 16. Well, I only make weapons in VR16 as I don't have enough mats to kit out my 3 VR16s (well, one is VR15 but will soon be VR16)

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Xellos77
    Xellos77
    ✭✭✭
    What's the variance between V15 and V16 gear? Like 1-2%? It sucks losing all those materials but personally I didn't even bother farming for V16 materials. Made V15 gear and left it at that. When I saw that for a 2% increase it took 10x the amount of materials to make gear, I laughed at the artificial grind to extend the content and thought about what could have been done instead. More raids. Better dungeon rewards. More endgame.

But yeah, when dealing with huge amounts of crafting materials for top-of-the-line gear, ALWAYS ensure you are hitting the correct buttons. Even if it takes you 30 minutes to craft it all.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention.. you're own mistake and now the game is bad enough to walk away from? At least walk away for reasons beyond you're control, such as my above-noted points regarding raids/dungeons. To each their own, however. Good luck with your next set though. As mentioned earlier, measure twice, cut once ;)
    Edited by Xellos77 on January 22, 2016 3:12PM
    Ebonheart Pact/PS4/NA
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JacobyRust wrote: »
    Not a literal one button press I just wasn't tabed over to set pieces and crafted the wrong thing. I'm not blaming ZOS btw I lm aware I made the mistake. I'm just frustrated that it won't be fixed considering the time, money, and effort I invest in game. To lose everything over a simple mistake is a bit devastating. Also I got 100 pieces back from decon well under half

Your frustration is misplaced, and should be directed only at yourself. Every crafter has accidentally wasted mats or deconned a precious item. One scroll too many and I made a v16 cuirass for a writ instead of v15 a few days ago, 100+ rubedite ore wasted, oh well.

Zeni should not be expected to "fix" player mistakes.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Bnec
    Bnec
    ✭✭
    happens to a lot of people , chin up and back 2 farming no reason to quit cos of 1 mistake :D
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »

Your frustration is misplaced, and should be directed only at yourself. Every crafter has accidentally wasted mats or deconned a precious item. One scroll too many and I made a v16 cuirass for a writ instead of v15 a few days ago, 100+ rubedite ore wasted, oh well.

But there IS a bug for ZOS to fix, where the table switches from v15 to v16, not player. It doesn't happen every time. You can reproduce it by first selecting material to e.g. v15 and then scrolling items. The level does not stay at what you selected. That is just sloppy coding.
  • Abra
    Abra
    ✭✭✭
    zos not expected to fix players mistake but expected to provide more mats in general- atm you need to farm for hours to get a full 7 pièces set + weapons- the daily writs at v16 do not return even enough mats overall- it is just plain bad and get people moving to other games.
    Reverb wrote: »

• Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xellos77 wrote: »
    What's the variance between V15 and V16 gear? Like 1-2%? It sucks losing all those materials but personally I didn't even bother farming for V16 materials. Made V15 gear and left it at that. When I saw that for a 2% increase it took 10x the amount of materials to make gear, I laughed at the artificial grind to extend the content and thought about what could have been done instead. More raids. Better dungeon rewards. More endgame.

The stat difference between V15 and V16 is about 1-2%, but the enchantment difference is more like 12%. That can equate to another nearly 1000 magicka or stamina.

However, I do agree that the 10x material need is a ridiculous artificial grind that add's nothing to end game and is just plain boring.
    Edited by Soleya on January 28, 2016 4:00AM